Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Noticed that on the news earlier, according to the met it only got to 28.8C that day although their weather station is drumalbin which is a few miles outside Mwell.Where would they have got the 33.2 from?

Posted

23 miles is quite a distance to compare the two. Motherwell is urban, Drumalbin Castle is in beautiful rural countryside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I'm still a bit skeptical, Glasgow usually has top temps a degree or two higher than Mwell and their top temp was under 32, it did feel pretty hot and it's maybe hard to tell the difference between say 29 and 33 but i think 29C was a more realistic temp here.

It does seem a bit pointless using Drumalbin when the stations in Glasgow are all far closer to Mwell than 23 miles.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

I'm still a bit skeptical, Glasgow usually has top temps a degree or two higher than Mwell and their top temp was under 32, it did feel pretty hot and it's maybe hard to tell the difference between say 29 and 33 but i think 29C was a more realistic temp here.

It does seem a bit pointless using Drumalbin when the stations in Glasgow are all far closer to Mwell than 23 miles.

It will be subject to stringent verification checks so if it is confirmed I think we can trust the reading! 

• Like 1

Posted

A bit cloudy in the morning but that cleared to yet another afternoon and evening of blue skies bar a few patches of cloud.

Very pleasant 21C max temperature with just enough of a breeze to stop flies being a nuisance when working outside.

Just wonderful  

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

A bit cloudy in the morning but that cleared to yet another afternoon and evening of blue skies bar a few patches of cloud.

Very pleasant 21C max temperature with just enough of a breeze to stop flies being a nuisance when working outside.

Just wonderful  

It goes on and on and on, GFS has temps mid to high 20's across most of the UK through most of the run

Flew into London City yesterday and notbale how brown the grass and fields are starting to look ....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeplings! Another sunny one here but thankfully with a wee breeze to keep us cool. We had cloud and a touch of rain here on Sunday and a marked drop in temperature but back to blue skies and sunshine yesterday! Fine weather fine for some but the farmers are worried and so should we! Watch the empty shelves and prices rocket for fresh vegetables and fruit and then start praying for rain. And by then it will be too late, start praying now! Thankfully we have a veg garden which is watered daily, but we've lost the radishes which have shot due to hot weather. We think everything else will be ok. Looking forward to some home grown tatties slathered wi' butter! Yum!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted

Leuchars had 15.1 hours of sunshine yesterday and a max of 15.5c. Tentative signs that the immediate east coast could get in on the heat from around Sunday onwards as winds back to the west! 

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Morning Peeplings! Another sunny one here but thankfully with a wee breeze to keep us cool. We had cloud and a touch of rain here on Sunday and a marked drop in temperature but back to blue skies and sunshine yesterday! Fine weather fine for some but the farmers are worried and so should we! Watch the empty shelves and prices rocket for fresh vegetables and fruit and then start praying for rain. And by then it will be too late, start praying now! Thankfully we have a veg garden which is watered daily, but we've lost the radishes which have shot due to hot weather. We think everything else will be ok. Looking forward to some home grown tatties slathered wi' butter! Yum!

No grazing grass left for cattle fields brown except for deep rooted clover going to start feeding them hay today.,watering garden last night,wheat futures jumped £5/tonne yesterday, yes everything is going to be in short supply. Supermarkets are going to  have to work with a new mindset. At a field trial with my agronomist yesterday near Buckie on heavier ground   1"cracks in fields but they are greener than we are so far. Farms that are still mixed with livestock (Dung) and grass breaks are faring best in this weather than ones with continuous cereals.

Currently clear blue skies , 25% RH  and 14c so the drying process goes on

• Like 5

Posted
33 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The latest GFS holds no cheer for those needing rain, this is the accumulated precipitation out to +384hrs:

3JulyEuro4.thumb.jpg.07145eee3ad0516366874e87080615fc.jpg

OK, there is some rain expected but even if it's right this will not touch the sides.

The weather geek in me is fascinated to see just how long these conditions can last. The decent, concerned side of me would like to see rain soon to alleviate the problems.  One issue may be that any rain that does fall in the next week or two will most likely be in the form of heavy thundery showers and will therefore be hit and miss!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

The 33.2C from Thurs 28th has not been officially included yet.

"Please note that the max temp at Motherwell reported on the 28th June is still awaiting verification and is not quoted." Met Office climate office Edinburgh

Top temp for UK June was 33C at Porthmadog, visited by Calum MacColl to show a rather unexposed/sheltered site. 

Broken new JUNE records listed below ( Scotland data only)

0307june2018scot.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Ive noticed it a wee bit cooler out in East Kilbirde compared to Glasgow City , must be the height and the all the buildings in town

Posted

A very briefly cloudy start but you would have had to been up at the crack of dawn to see it. Yet ANOTHER crackerjack of a day (maybe a briefly cooler lull towards the end of the week) but it won't last ;)

• Like 2

Posted

Another stonking day . 

Almost unbroken sunshine, light winds (dead calm outside just now) and a maximum temperature of 25C.

Lovely display of Noctilucent Clouds last night (2nd July), this entrancing ribbon of light caught the eye (taken at 1am).

Snag_685def0.thumb.png.35a4eb82a9b5823ba46df808dc25fa32.png

• Like 5

Posted

Not checked on here for a bit as I've been travelling with work for weeks now! Keep phoning home but my wife's useless at temps - "hot" or "not as warm as yesterday" is not exactly telling much! The temps quoted on here are incredible! Hopefully it'll continue for the next 2 weeks when I get back and have a weeks break with the family. Thanks to all the summer posters who keep this place interesting to drop into

• Like 3

Posted

Jellyfish over Bellshill this morning, lovely skies.  I'm curious about that 33.2 last week, would love to know exactly where it was recorded - Ravenscraig by any chance?

36609454_10216682087347949_4220077016411537408a_n.jpg

36684027_10216682087107943_6266975944838217728_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

My complete absence for some time is due to one thing: lovely sunny weather and laterally, hot weather! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Keep thinking I'm going to wake up, look outside and see grey skys, clouds, rain, mud oh and Bobby will be in the shower.

Joking aside, just glorious but worried for the farmers.

• Like 3

Posted

Totally sweltering today gin clear skies and 26c.  Nearly all growth has stopped. The trees and countryside are taking on an autumn colour.

Local fire engine pulled in behind me at petrol pumps the other night and I spoke to the volunteer fireman who I know and he was  saying that are very busy almost full time with grass/brush fires. Low humidities are a big problem this summer.  Forecast rain a couuple of days ago for tonight has evaporated I think!

• Like 1

Posted

Just another sunny and warm day, perhaps a little breezier than yesterday.

I see cloud bubbling up to the N and NE over the Cairngorms.

1762528812_4clouds.thumb.jpg.6fb70e7900b3361db6efede1cafb9ec6.jpg 974764665_Cubuild.thumb.jpg.17a86589c82208ad887a70345933c1a7.jpg

The foreground looks quite desert-like.

• Like 2

Posted

Started clear as a bell as usual but clouds have bubbled up don't expect too many showers if any but who knows 

Edited by NUT
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Over on hols in Portugal. Weather not much different temps wise from home although the sun is a bit stronger so care needed. Quite breezy with clouds breaking up as they head towards the sea instead of when they come ashore from the sea like at home. Lots  of noisy people about last night. You would have thought that someone had won a football game or something.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted

Lawn mowed, and after 2weeks there was not a lot of growth, only filled one brown bin instead of 2. Was prickly hot earlier, but cloud rolled in and took the edge of the heat. Car read 29c most of the time we were out. Kids even managed a good swim at the lake @ The Helix

• Like 1

Posted

Day started with clear blue skies but got a bit cloudier and windier this afternoon.

Not that that made much difference to the temperature - 27C max before the cloud, 25C at the moment with the cloud.

Losing count the number of days above 20C this year, last year I could count them just about on one hand.

• Like 1