Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

See my post from yesterday you get the idea of the weather by now only difference breeze gone and no low cloud to start the day either 

• Like 2

Posted

As Hairy Celt says above crops will soon be wilting.Horse Chestnut leaves in front  garden definitely doing this just now. No grazing grass left just now completely burnt off just deep rooted clover keeping cattle going for the next few days but will have to consider starting to feed them at the end of this coming week. Spring barley still green thankfully on our moisture retentive soil as its roots are deeper and not like grass which is very shallow rooting..

Gin clear blue skies and currently 26c. Stiil think that if we get another month of this  its going to test the supermarkets low price motto.

Yes its just like 75/76 .The interest for me is how long market prices are kept down as a lot  farm produce is on contract now  now compared with more on the free market in the 70"s. A lot of contracts are at risk of not being fulfilled so will the supermarkets put up the price of dwindling or imported supplies. As Hairy Celt says above being part of a big club of countries helps in years like this

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

As Hairy Celt says above crops will soon be wilting.Horse Chestnut leaves in front  garden definitely doing this just now. No grazing grass left just now completely burnt off just deep rooted clover keeping cattle going for the next few days but will have to consider starting to feed them at the end of this coming week. Spring barley still green thankfully on our moisture retentive soil as its roots are deeper and not like grass which is very shallow rooting..

Gin clear blue skies and currently 26c. Stiil think that if we get another month of this  its going to test the supermarkets low price motto.

I was on my wee walk to Morrisons yesterday when I noticed something: the only plants that are thriving are the so-called 'weeds': dandelions, nettles, thistles, clover, daisies, sorrel, you name it - they're all as happy as Larry. But the 'proper' grass is as dead as a door nail.

So why do we call certain 'unsuccessful' folks 'weedy'? Oughtn't we save that term for those whose survival skills outrank those of all others?

Or is the heat addling my brain!☘️

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

I was on my wee walk to Morrisons yesterday when I noticed something: the only plants that are thriving are the so-called 'weeds': dandelions, nettles, thistles, clover, daisies, sorrel, you name it - they're all as happy as Larry. But the 'proper' grass is as dead as a door nail.

So why do we call certain 'unsuccessful' folks 'weedy'? Oughtn't we save that term for those whose survival skills outrank those of all others?

Or is the heat addling my brain!☘️

Yes all are deep rooted,  have  long tap roots like dandelion and  can still access deep soil moisture.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes all are deep rooted,  have  long tap roots like dandelion and  can still access deep soil moisture.

Aye, NL - reminds me of Tunbridge Wells, in late June 1970: everything looked dead, apart from the six-foot-high thistles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

This is getting monotonous, lol 

Warm, dry, only the occasional rogue cloud in the sky every so often. Really need some instability in the atmosphere and a few thunderstorms to kick off to liven this hot spell up. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

30C in Inverness earlier, 24C here on the beach. That's twice I've seen 30C recently. Crazy heat for here.

• Like 3

Posted

Phew, el scorchio again. Well unless you're by the forth rail bridge. Passed at 1pm and had this.... Temp hit 15c better

received_10155916543906051.thumb.jpeg.716e23ea5a205830674edba85a43f32d.jpeg

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny all day here but some cloud visible off to the East. High of 22.1C which was very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well herbaceous plants officially wilting in these parts now, and that's with us getting some downpours a few weeks back. 

Gairdin now getting sprinkler treatment.

One plant species that's loving it all is the roses. I've never seen so many blooms. Some which rarely flower are producing a plethora.

This red one we'd almost given up on as it produces just a few flowers, is totally bursting with them. Really big too and fully open.

I'm guessing the dry weather has all but eliminated blackspot fungus etc that plague roses when it's cool and wet all the time. That and their deep roots + sunshine....

DSC_0034.JPG

EDIT and cold winter / spring + long hot summer is so far looking to give a bumper apple crop. Just hope there's enough rain / it doesn't stay too dry for this.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

High of 24.4C here, it hasn't been below 24 since last Sunday. 

It hasn’t been above 24c here  since last Sunday! [Leuchars figures]

Sunday 25c

Monday 22c

Tuesday 17c

Wednesday 16c

Thursday 23c

Friday 14c

Saturday 16c

Today 18c

• Like 1

Posted

Great day around Auchnafree and Ben Chonzie with only mountain hares, red deer and grouse for company! Warm in the hills but with a nice cooling breeze so the walking was good.

14453CC5-2891-4057-9EA3-E68475504EB6.jpeg

076DA42F-8D7F-4CAB-B96B-069E4BE2DD8C.jpeg

1F1B79C7-A4B5-4725-88C4-467DFB9E5052.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My garden good too. Not watering it though, apart from one or two fav plants.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes its been a year of firsts with Young Mr Northernlights spotting a fox in the garden last night at dusk which was being stalked by one of the cats who must have thought it was the dog.

Will not need to cut domestic grasses  again until it rains. We had a strong north wind in the late afternoon which wilted all the plants although its cloudy and cooler now. Several fire engines on the A96 this afternoon  must  be more problems with this weather. It does however look as though we will get some rain midweek which should help.

• Like 3

Posted

Strawberries started a fortnight ago outside but will nearly all be over before Wimbledon. Unheard of in Scotland and they are the old variety Cambridge Favourite. Usually have them for most of July.P6300047.thumb.JPG.ac94f461d9cd20e76b39e430c8d85fa9.JPG

I think this will be the last big pick as the heat has accelerated their ripening

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Strawberries started a fortnight ago outside but will nearly all be over before Wimbledon. Unheard of in Scotland and they are the old variety Cambridge Favourite. Usually have them for most of July.P6300047.thumb.JPG.ac94f461d9cd20e76b39e430c8d85fa9.JPG

I think this will be the last big pick as the heat has accelerated their ripening

You've been up there for a huge bit longer than my own 21 years, David...So, do you think that the Glenurquhart Highland Games will be blessed with similar (absolutely superb) weather to 1995? Or are you expecting a 2006-esque change of fortunes?:good:

PS: I must be the only Sassenach who disnae like strawberries!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted

The weather is starting to be like a pleasantly stuck record.

Once again a day of blue skies bar a few fleeting clouds and a cooling breeze, this fresh to start from a southerly direction before veering towards a northerly direction over the day and turning light.

Maximum temperature of 25C and feeling just perfect out there, just wish that darned pollen count was a bit lower.

Animals definitely seem under stress though as the local birds are now emptying the bird feeders within a couple of hours and even had a song thrush visit this evening which is a first as I have only ever seen them at the feeders when the weather is at its worst during the winter.

• Like 2

Posted

We've got a weird thing in the sky this morning called Cloud (can't remember what that is) ;) 

• Like 4

Posted
11 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

You've been up there for a huge bit longer than my own 21 years, David...So, do you think that the Glenurquhart Highland Games will be blessed with similar (absolutely superb) weather to 1995? Or are you expecting a 2006-esque change of fortunes?:good:

PS: I must be the only Sassenach who disnae like strawberries!

Well I was born within the sound of Bow Bells of Scottish parants and love strawberries. End of August is usually when the weather becomes a bit breezier and fresher if we have had a traditional humid  wet  thundery August and this usually lets us start harvest.So if we are stuck with dry weather till then it may well be the point at which it changes. In these dry summers most of harvest done in mid August so the rain can come at the begining of September and not cause to much trouble. These Games are just held just at the point of change so no commitment from me. (Politicians answer!!!)

• Like 2