Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Bishopton got 31.6c according to the news. Just missed out. 

31.9c according to Mr Batty....hmm.

EDIT: Met Office confirmed 31.9c.

Do we have the Glasgow Airport max, @CatchMyDrift can’t have been far off with his 31.7c prediction?

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

31.9c according to Mr Batty....hmm.

EDIT: Met Office confirmed 31.9c.

Do we have the Glasgow Airport max, @CatchMyDrift can’t have been far off with his 31.7c prediction?

If Bishopton was 31.9 c , Glasgow City Centre must of been higher?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, scott125 said:

If Bishopton was 31.9 c , Glasgow City Centre must of been higher?

There used to be a Met Office site in Glasgow City Centre but it was closed years ago now (as far as I know).

• Like 1

Posted

I'm thankful that tomorrow will be cooler. That was like a sauna unleashed in a big way out there today (PHEW)! Really does not look like any rain going to brew up anytime soon. Been the most....................probably memorable 6 months weatherwise I can ever remember (and I remember the 2nd half of 1995 inparticulair very well)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
17 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This is insane, the GFS is similar, it's very dry away out to 11 days and only gets round to some proper rain way into FI. We're getting to the point where we need some rubbish weather soon.

28JunGFSPrecip288.thumb.jpg.2c332bbdf7c6642f9f4eb2dc28080196.jpg

I am heading down to Devon and Cornwall on Sunday for 10 days and it looks like I will see more rain down there than up here in Scotland. I think it’s to turn really humid down South so hopefully if it does rain then I will see some big thunderstorms 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Never known heat like that in Glasgow today - have experienced it elsewhere so to be walking through my own city with such a hot sun beating down was a new one. Was still over 30c until about 8pm, even now it's high 20s celsius.

Back to a more sensible 26c tomorrow and the next few days, which is still very warm for here.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, total scorcher here too of course. Weather station was showing into the low 30's in the afternoon peak.

Was off the day as the car was in the garage, so been enjoying the sun as much as possible. Nice long dug walk earlier, bit kept to the forest to ensure shade.

Maybe getting a bit too hot. However, the cooler nights make it alright as it's heat at night that I can't take.

Gairdin is holding up; just the lawn looking a bit dry. We've had some bouts of very heavy rain and the local springs are still flowing, so not parched as yet here. Made mental note to look for the sprinkler though, as it looks like it'll be needed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, NUT said:

I'm thankful that tomorrow will be cooler. That was like a sauna unleashed in a big way out there today (PHEW)! Really does not look like any rain going to brew up anytime soon. Been the most....................probably memorable 6 months weatherwise I can ever remember (and I remember the 2nd half of 1995 inparticulair very well)

Same here, I've plenty to do outside in the garden and on the new house but working outside today was just too uncomfortable. Even indoors changing a couple of light fittings was a sweaty job, so the forecasts of high teens or low twenties here will suite me fine. I'd also really appreciate the garden getting a right good soaking but that's not looking likely. 

Really has been a years of, if not extremes, then at least proper seasons for the first time in a long while.

Edit: At least my hay-fever has settled down somewhat from earlier in the week.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You can find three year periods when the temperature at Glasgow Airport didn't go above 25C, so 26C is still unusual as you say. 

It has been an incredible year for weather with the very cold westerly in January, the late Feb into March easterly and now this.

And the weather we had in may and some subsequent nasty thunderstorms

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual

Well it was a tad warm out there today, Edinburgh reached an amazing 28C even with the cooler sea breeze from the east. Very unpleasant to be out in. And now it appears as though tomorrow will have a maximum of 15 or 16C which is honestly a bit too cold for my liking

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You can find three year periods when the temperature at Glasgow Airport didn't go above 25C, so 26C is still unusual as you say. 

It has been an incredible year for weather with the very cold westerly in January, the late Feb into March easterly and now this.

Blocking in the right places? Wonder how long this type of weather will continue with slow moving HP systems?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The car thermometer said 27C to 30C through Easter Ross and the Black Isle on my way home this afternoon. I don't think I've ever seen 30C in Scotland before.  I just love this heat. I went out for a cycle ride early evening, utter bliss in this weather. Caithness has been warm, sunny and barely bothered by midges recently. How does  @Northernlights view the weather? We've had barely any rain for two months here - we can water gardens but not fields - well not in Scotland anyway.

Oh yeah… Good to see  ?? doing well with a B team this evening; they're my favourites (apart from the fluffy-headed one) and despite my Francophile tendencies, I hope Belgium win it. Jinxed it.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The car thermometer said 27C to 30C through Easter Ross and the Black Isle on my way home this afternoon. I don't think I've ever seen 30C in Scotland before.  I just love this heat. I went out for a cycle ride early evening, utter bliss in this weather. Caithness has been warm, sunny and barely bothered by midges recently. How does  @Northernlights view the weather? We've had barely any rain for two months here - we can water gardens but not fields - well not in Scotland anyway.

Oh yeah… Good to see  ?? doing well with a B team this evening; they're my favourites (apart from the fluffy-headed one) and despite my Francophile tendencies, I hope Belgium win it. Jinxed it.

A post of mine from a few pages back.This is serious weather.

Although we are getting fantastic hay this ongoing spell of dry weather  if it continues for another few weeks is going to have huge implications for agricultural production including a lot of vegetables because even if there is irrigation equipment a lot of ditches are now dry. Have mentioned to  a few folk that by autumn the weather may be at the top of the             politicians agenda. Notice the local dairy farm is taking their second cut   before it disappears back into the ground. The seed heads were out again in spite of it being just a few inches high so quality is lost at that point. Currently sunny and 26

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
21 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

A post of mine from a few pages back.This is serious weather.

Although we are getting fantastic hay this ongoing spell of dry weather  if it continues for another few weeks is going to have huge implications for agricultural production including a lot of vegetables because even if there is irrigation equipment a lot of ditches are now dry. Have mentioned to  a few folk that by autumn the weather may be at the top of the             politicians agenda. Notice the local dairy farm is taking their second cut   before it disappears back into the ground. The seed heads were out again in spite of it being just a few inches high so quality is lost at that point. Currently sunny and 26

Cereals look yellow and short in Easter Ross by the A9; can't say so much locally yet. Potato haulms look ok but I don't know how that reflects tuber development.

• Like 3

Posted

Back to the haar this morning. I’d like to see high pressure drift south to draw in a westerly or SWly component to the wind and give the (immediate) east coast a chance to share in the high temps. Leuchars yet to top 25c. Not much sign of this in the models, mind! 

Just a minor local moan among the general excellence of this summer so far. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Cereals look yellow and short in Easter Ross by the A9; can't say so much locally yet. Potato haulms look ok but I don't know how that reflects tuber development.

Yes cereals have lower grain numbers as well due to later sowing and moisture limitation and many gravelly /sandy areas in fields are dying off now,second growth (new tillers that  are green at harvest)would be a problem here if they suddenly got rain.  .Straw for bedding cattle will be scarse and expensive too. The main problem for tatties would be sudden heavy  sustained rain which would lead to massve compensatory growth   resulting in lots of growth cracks in the tubers and therefore  a lot of waste tatties  in both ware and seed .Obviously yields will be down if there is no more rain this summer but but in the free market prices should rise. A lot of tatties  are grown on contract so their prices are fixed.

• Like 2

Posted

Started sunny but bit of cloud has creeped in (I would assume it was that lot from the east) thankfully keeping it a lot more comfortable than yesterday

• Like 1

Posted

Haar and low cloud proving to be stubborn to clear from the east (and not just the coast) this morning as the satellite image clearly shows: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

East coast temps in the 11-13c range while further west Prestwick is already at 23c!

• Like 1

Posted

Me pesimistic about the cloud ;) Cleared again so back to as you we're

• Like 1

Posted

Let's order up something like this, please (30.8c at Leuchars).

EUROPE_PRMSL_TMP850_1990_8_2.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Haar and low cloud proving to be stubborn to clear from the east (and not just the coast) this morning as the satellite image clearly shows: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

East coast temps in the 11-13c range while further west Prestwick is already at 23c!

14.3C here with quite thick cloud. Just over 10C lower than yesterday at the same time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The 6z GFS is unbelievable! It's looking like this very warm/hot dry weather will continue for a good while yet which is great for some of us but as @Northernlights and others have said if this spell of dry hot weather continues then it will become a serious problem for many. Hopefully we get some big showers kicking off with all this heat to give some needed rain!

• Like 1

Posted

Scorchio again but with a breeze making it feel much more comfortable than it was yesterday and no cloud whatsoever it's absolute bliss 

• Like 2

Posted

Cool murky morning with temperature hovering around 13C.  Cloud finally broke up around 2pm and temperatures responded accordingly with a very pleasant max of 20C with a gentle breeze.

Now, another gorgeous evening - this is certainly a summer to remember.  Was hearing today about some local private water supplies getting low which gives an idea of how dry things have been.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Cor blimy rare summer post from me, scorching!! Poor OH had four days in Skye, to attempt a Cuillin traverse, last week. The wet, windy and overcast week. The week sandwiched between all this glorious sun. Lol it was his 50th birthday present. Kids and myself broken up now for seven lovely weeks, off to France soon - not sure why we're bothering given the weather here but at least France will be midge free. Happy summer all. 

• Like 5