Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Weird how all day it's been fairly breezy but as soon as night falls the wind drops completely. Another dry day but not the clear blue skies of yesterday pretty hot though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

It's hot and sunny here.

Few standard phone photaes of said hot and sunny weather...

- Dug walk yesterday lunchtime with hot dugs included (burn visit of course part of itinerary). 

- Second dug walk (forest section) at dusk because the weather is crackin. I love the way the woods are full of ferns at this time; positively primeval. 

- Looking over Embra westwards down the midland valley from the top of Hillend (the day's ski session).

Guid tae hae summer back again. 

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

• Like 6

Posted

Fabulous start to the day heavy dew taking pressure off crops but a real fairweather sky with high cloud after years of almost none. Made another super batch of hay yesterday and left them out all night with another dry day forcast.  A real reminder of 1976. with no pressure to get them undercover.     Cut some more as well.     Grass for grazing is getting very short so aftermaths with a bit of grass round the edges will keep cattle going for a few more days. . Currently sunny and 17c

• Like 2

Posted
12 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/06-1995/ws-31400.html

June 1995 was 29.6C

August 1995 was 29.9C

:)

Damn, my memory playing tricks on me! Wonder when the last 30c or above reading at Glasgow Airport was then. Perhaps it was 1975!

Sun slowly burning off the haar this morning - currently 13c.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fabulous start to the day heavy dew taking pressure off crops but a real fairweather sky with high cloud after years of almost none. Made another super batch of hay yesterday and left them out all night with another dry day forcast.  A real reminder of 1976. with no pressure to get them undercover.     Cut some more as well.     Grass for grazing is getting very short so aftermaths with a bit of grass round the edges will keep cattle going for a few more days. . Currently sunny and 17c

Coming from a Cattle farming family, I love your updates. What breed of beef cattle do you have on the farm ? Still very cool over here not much growth on the higher pastures so livestock limited access at the moment. 10c outside and a real chill still in the air. Looks like a great summer in the British Isles so far .

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Damn, my memory playing tricks on me! Wonder when the last 30c or above reading at Glasgow Airport was then. Perhaps it was 1975!

Sun slowly burning off the haar this morning - currently 13c.

Aye, the fkn haar didnae take long tae find us again Hawesy!

Looking at the TV Forecasts last night and being led to believe it would only be the coast that would be troubled by haar this morning? 

Big haar hatin Innes 

• Like 3

Posted

The high cloud today seems a bit thicker although still some hazy sun. Hotter than yesterday though (and still got 2 days of heat to build)

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Aye, the fkn haar didnae take long tae find us again Hawesy!

Looking at the TV Forecasts last night and being led to believe it would only be the coast that would be troubled by haar this morning? 

Big haar hatin Innes 

Aye, parts of the east coast are suffering a bit today: it lifted for a while here in St Andrews but it's very hazy again and the temperature is only 15c so feeling chilly in the SEly breeze. I thought that was bad but I see Inverbervie is stuck on 11c...while Aboyne is sitting on 23c!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, NUT said:

The high cloud today seems a bit thicker although still some hazy sun. Hotter than yesterday though (and still got 2 days of heat to build)

Forgot to add unlike last few days barely 1 breath of wind

• Like 2

Posted

STV saying Glasgow could hit 31 on Thursday very toasty if it happens

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, carinthian said:

Coming from a Cattle farming family, I love your updates. What breed of beef cattle do you have on the farm ? Still very cool over here not much growth on the higher pastures so livestock limited access at the moment. 10c outside and a real chill still in the air. Looks like a great summer in the British Isles so far .

C

The cows are a mixture of Limousin.,Aberdeen Angus and Simmental crosses but we use a pedigree Simmental bull on them.Bull calves are fed on to 18 months old for beef and heifers at eighteen months old are sold for breeding.Helped a neighbour get in 900 small bales of hay this morning so taking tea now. Currently bright and 20c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
33 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

The cows are a mixture of Limousin.,Aberdeen Angus and Simmental crosses but we use a pedigree Simmental bull on them.Bull calves are fed on to 18 months old for beef and heifers at eighteen months old are sold for breeding.Helped a neighbour get in 900 small bales of hay this morning so taking tea now. Currently bright and 20c

My dad fattened Red Angus and Welsh Blacks on his farm . I remember as a young lad a Cattle breeder and dealer from near Dundee sent a regular supply to my dad farm down in Cheshire, Angus beef stock of course.  The Co-op in North Wales bought almost all my dads beef stock. I remember also as a young lad going into the Queens butchers with my dad in Ballater to buy some Aberdeen Angus beef and White puddings. The best taste on earth !

C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The Easterly breeze certainly dropped our temperatures from yesterday. Even so we briefly hit 21C though most of the day was more like 17C with hazy sunshine at times. 

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Hawesy I must stop whining after seeing your post, I thought I was badly done to with "only" 21C but you're getting it very bad today. Damn North Sea!!

I’d probably be more upset about it if I wasn’t working! Its now very grey and cool at 12c. Looks like Inverbervie maxed out at 11c.

Looks more promising for tomorrow with less haar forecast, will gladly take the high teens and some bright sunshine!

Will be keeping a close watch on some of these temperature predictions, possibility of some records going!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I've gone through the Glasgow Airport temp records from 1973 (see previous link) and that station has recorded 30C+ on just 2 occasions. 4th August 1975 and 12th July 1983. Twice in 45 years, I think that counts as rare. 

Good work @CatchMyDrift ! You think we’ll see a third this week? I only do snow predictions 

Meanwhile the Costa del Tay this evening...

7C2819FA-B02C-4169-AC57-E070E3C998D8.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We've had hot and sunny here all day I think, apart from a bit dull on the Edinburgh bypass this morning clearing by Stirling. We were up at Crianlarich then Callander,  and it was hazy but hot there. Was bright sun here when we got home.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

If anyone has an iPhone, the weather app (which I think takes its predictions from the weather channel) is now predicting 29c tomorrow, and 32c on Thursday, for Glasgow.

If Thursday's prediction was to come to fruition, I believe that would be a record.

• Like 1

Posted

Weird how it stayed fairly hazy for most of the day (and no wind) yet as soon as the sun sets the wind's increased and the skies have cleared. Hopefully a clearer day tomorrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Could the all time Scottish record be under threat this week? I think it's 32.9C so with 32 being forecast you never know.

• Like 1

Posted

Bit of strange day, was expecting lots of sunshine but didn't quite work out as such.

Hazy sunshine from the word go which just degenerated into overcast conditions from mid-afternoon onwards. 

Very respectable maximum temperature of 23C just after 1pm, but cooling down quickly after that to 16C with the overcast conditions.

Very light winds and midges are on the rampage this evening, contrary to the area forecast.

• Like 2

Posted

A clearer end to the day after high cloud restricted the sunlight earlier. A few degrees warmer than forecast with a high of 26C at Glasgow airport. In my lifetime there hasn't been a temperature higher than 28C at Glasgow airport -  stations on the Coast such as Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Prestwick have all recorded higher maxima. It looks like the next two days could be the warmest since 1995, possibly record breaking. The Scottish record probably won't be beaten, but you never know certainly Glasgow's record of 31C in August 1975 could potentially be equalled or even beaten. The last 30C was in July 1983, 29.9C was recorded in 1995 and 29.6C has been recorded twice in June - these figures would be recorded as 30C nowadays with whole numbers used since 2000.

This year Glasgow airport recorded the lowest temperature since 2010 in January, the coldest February and March maximum on record, the coldest April maximum since the 1980s, the most 20C days in May since 1992 and June should have most days with 20C before the month is out. 

It's hard to think of a more fulfilling first half of the year for weather than this. 2013, 2010 were fairly interesting and 1995 was remarkable for extremes but this year has progressed very well with consistently interesting weather throughout with a few lulls. We're very used to our weather being generally quite mundane and forgettable with intermittent spells of decent, seasonal and interesting weather and summer and winter tend to be disappointing, anything noteworthy being a flash in the pan event. This year we've luckily had a seasonal winter and summer with an interesting Spring in between. We've had more than our fair share of notable events with significant snow in January, the Beast from the east in February/March, a very prolonged spell of settled, dry, warm weather in May/June - consequently Model watching has been much more captivating than usual. It's all been remarkably dry without the relentless Influence of the Atlantic. This month alone has had noctilucent cloud displays, a notable summer wind event, a few thunderstorms including a hailstorm near Dunblane, and one of the more interesting thunder events I've experienced in recent years with frequent thunder, heavy rain, a little hail and my first sighting of a lightning bolt in a number of years. It's fair to say we've been spoiled this year with 2018 already going down as a year to remember. 

The next couple of days are going to be very interesting to experience and to see potentially historic and perhaps record breaking weather. Hopefully Glasgow will reach 30C for the first time in decades - possibly two days in a row - and maybe 33C could be recorded somewhere in Scotland. Tomorrow should see the 30C in the highlands with models showing the highest temperatures around Inverness - perhaps our best bet for a record. The Glasgow area should see the highest temperatures on Thursday, the BBC showing 29C, while accuweather has 30C, STV 31C and incredibly 32C on the weather channel.

• Like 5

Posted

Dull and grey, 13c.

I see that Aviemore is already at 14c at 10am!

• Like 2

Posted

Much less high cloud as a consequence a lot sunnier and already hot but comfortable

• Like 2