Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

A John Major day with just a few glimpses of the sun.  Quite a stiff breeze at times, a warm up for the main wind event later in the week (that we could do without as the plants are stressed enough as it is).

The last few days may have been overcast but the ground is still drying out at a fair old rate - beds watered thoroughly last Friday already dry down to 4cm depth.  Out with the sprinkler again and thank goodness we don't have water meters!

Birds seem to be stressed with the weather as well.  Normally the bird feeders are ignored by this time of year but this year they are emptying them in a day.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

!

Birds seem to be stressed with the weather as well.  Normally the bird feeders are ignored by this time of year but this year they are emptying them in a day.

Yes bird  feeders the same here and we also have the badgers every evening still coming to pick up the spilt grain from them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, I don't know what the weather is like at Fort SS, but here in Oslo it's crackin. Norwegians have obviously been enjoying what we have so far this summer.

And...

Update on Mrs. Blackbird's bairns in the shed at home courtesy of mini miss SS.

IMG-20180612-WA0002.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Just popping in to ask a stat question.

BBC Weather stating Stornoway has had 22 consecutive dry days, does anyone know when such a long dry spell last occurred there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Just popping in to ask a stat question.

BBC Weather stating Stornoway has had 22 consecutive dry days, does anyone know when such a long dry spell last occurred there?

A local reporter said that though the Western Isles often has dry spells in Spring this was the first that had no measurable rain for so long. See attached from the BBC 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44437551

I had thought that there had been one April that was dry all month there but it may have been elsewhere in the North West and I can’t remember the source.

I lived in Stornoway for six years and Spring was usually the driest period as Easterlies were more common at that time of year.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

Grey and drizzle started yesterday, but turned out very nice, today started pleasantly, but wind picking up, and the sea of blue disappearing.

Any views on the Met forecast for summer to be a scorcher?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Storm Hector doesn’t look to threatening to me.....

2469DF6B-A7A3-484E-96C8-334754CA0E5C.thumb.jpeg.c98ea47c7ca779aaeaf5bb43e0b5d801.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Hey guys. My child is off to Aberdour beach tomorrow to do some rock pooling and kite flying. Any knowledgeable people tell me if that area will be ok wind wise, not to powerful? School weren’t aware of any weather warnings which makes me a bit anxious

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Think the potential disruption is being underestimated a little given the current gusts are expected to max around mid 50s where i am so higher nearer the coast.If it was the middle of December then it would be very mediocre but with leafy trees 50-60mph could easily bring quite a few down.Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few problems with the trains because of branches on the lines etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
4 hours ago, Snowlover2 said:

Hey guys. My child is off to Aberdour beach tomorrow to do some rock pooling and kite flying. Any knowledgeable people tell me if that area will be ok wind wise, not to powerful? School weren’t aware of any weather warnings which makes me a bit anxious

It will be pretty windy especially for kite flying. Minimally gusts of at least mid forties and steady up to 30 mph in the morning. 

Incidentally a branch in the neighbours tree broke this afternoon in what was no stronger than a fresh breeze. May be another cause though? 

5BE788D8-903C-4D1B-BFB8-D20ED208EFAB.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A thoroughly wet evening, and that is something that has not been said around here for months!

Bulk of the day was overcast with occasional glimpses of sun, temperature max of 20C.  Rain started around 4pm and has been on since then, temperatures responding accordingly dropping to the current 12C.

Light to occasionally moderate Southerly wind all day, hopefully the winds tomorrow will not be too damaging (Sweet Peas and Sunflowers all tied up well earlier in anticipation).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wet in Caithness since early afternoon, just starting to get very wet.  Quite welcome really, although I probably won't repeat that this time tomorrow.

I put summer tyres on the Yeti on the 20th April and today was the first time they got properly wet. Might be able to get away without watering the potatoes for a while now.

• Like 1

Posted

Well after some nice steady rain yesterday afternoon  to refresh the crops its now dry  windy and 16c so the benefit was shortlived. Young Mr Northernlights managed to drop some half tonne silage bales on a fence last night so will be repairing that today. Silage was baled yesterday morning in great condition before the rain.

• Like 5

Posted

Snapped, shredded, broken. Just a few words to describe the garden this morning! Actually not a bad morning if it wasn't for the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Mine (garden) is wrecked too, and it was the best it's looked in 30 years. At least I got pics... Horrible gusty loud wind here but rain has stopped and got blue bits in the sky now.

Edited by mardatha

Posted

Max gust here 64mph though I suspect it will be higher on the bridge. Still open to cars so not over 80mph. 

A small branch broke on my neighbours tree yesterday. A much bigger one is down today and in my garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Bright and sunny with fluffy white clouds scud ding across the sky in the strong wind. Pleasant enough though with a temp of 17C at 9am. 

Trees taking a battering in the garden but only casualties so far are leaves. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Dear weathergods, please can we have that other weather back again - you know, the nice stuff? 

Blowy overnight. Lots of debris on the road - branches, down, etc. Some disruption on the railways, too. 

Sunshine and showers and still breezy this morning. Garden: bit of a state.  Currently 13.8C. 

Hopefully, the nice version of summer will return soon! 

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like we have gained a parasol as well as the tree branch.

17029978-A50B-4B6F-B07B-AD0156E3EEF8.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Horrible morning, even when the sun appears. Garden survived as I removed Gazeebo, moored the trampolines to a sturdy sheltered fence, and placed pot plants into garage, so just debris to pick up later.

• Like 2

Posted

Lots of twigs and small branches in the garden. Had to turn of the motion sensor motorbike alarm off as it was blasting 110 decibels at regular intervals!

Neighbour two doors down not so lucky. A dead tree that is covered in ivy is currently sitting at 45 degrees. The only reason it hasn't come down is that the telephone wires are holding it up. When the wind gets up it bounces on the wires. If it does come down the four neighbours will be without a phone line/internet and the next door neighbour will have a flattened shed. Someone is coming out to look at it later today.

IMG_3976.JPG

• Like 6

Posted

Tay bridge was completely closed for a while meaning a gust of over 80mph. Now open but restricted to cars and single decker buses which indicates gusts continuing over 60mph.

• Like 5