Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Exactly the same today as yesterday. Wall to wall sunshine and a max of 19.9C. I did ask for more of the same when I posted last night. Again please!

• Like 1

Posted

Well I ve never had the garden so weed free thanks to all this dry weather but there are now signs of drought everywhere.In spite of this the turnips that have germinated are motoring ahead and are now visible up the rows with a lot having the first rough blade so are almost passed the flea beetle vulnerable stage.

Currently clear sunny and 15c

• Like 2

Posted

Another blissful day of copious sunshine, light winds and a "just right" temperature maximum of 18C.

Sprinkler on all evening, and to think I never had to use it last summer!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Another beauty!

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Started clear and sunny but the cloud has bubbled up. Maybe a small chance of a shower but nothing significant. Seems it might be a repeat of last weekend again although maybe the showers not quite as intense this time

• Like 1

Posted

Fresh NE wind keeping it cool but fine and sunny . See there is a big gorse fire to the east at Lossiemouth. Taking a fair while to get it under control with this wind Currently 14c

• Like 1

Posted

Will that lone storm make it to Glasgow, its made it further than i thought so far... 

Posted

Will that lone storm make it to Glasgow, its made it further than i thought so far... 

Posted
32 minutes ago, chemikal said:

Looks like it will hit me and @Stormeh

Seems to loosing some intensity but still looks potent. 

7FE95B84-7E86-4ABF-83AE-07718843057E.jpeg

I live between the 2 of you, looks like it's splitting with the bit over paisley way reintensifying. I went out for a look from a hill but couldn't see any lightning, just a downpour. 

20180607_183159.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

I think anyone who was out on loch lomond this afternoon may have had to run for cover as that thunderstorm drifted down by Ben lomond .

I could see several cloud to ground strikes and plenty of thunder in the air all in all a perfect summer's day after maxing out at 23.4c  

Looking at the medium range forecast it looks like summer is going to get started proper next week 

• Like 1

Posted

Another day of blissful weather. 

Unbroken sunshine, high of 19C and generally light winds from a Northerly direction (got a bit breezy around lunchtime, enough to knock some pots over).

The kids planted their sunflowers today so that will no doubt herald the end of good weather, apologies in advance  :oops:

• Like 2

Posted

On badger watch last night.Clear evening and about 10.30 pm on cue our resident badger turns up to clear spilt grain from the bird feeder just outside the kitchen window.  Not at all intimidated by the lights from the house or our movement.  I feel they are very hungry judging by this behaviour  This is the first time in my lifetime that badgers have been regular visitors to the garden at night.  The downside to their ever increasing numbers is the complete lack of ground nesting birds.Witness the remaining two pairs of oyster catchers whose nests we marked in the turnips and whose egg clutches have been eaten twice already this season.We have observed badgers in broad daylight in the early evening near these nests.

Sunny start to the day at 7c

• Like 6

Posted

Cloud breaking up here so hopeful of some afternoon sunshine.  Sunday would mark four weeks since last measurable rainfall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sun broke through here at lunchtime with temperatures responding. Up from 10C earlier this morning to 17C now. Reached 20C yesterday so I expect the same today.

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing on radar yet but there are a few cb's forming to the north west of Glasgow. 

Tomorrow looks like a decent opportunity with a meto weather warning out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It feels a lot warmer than the 16C being reported at Charterhall:

Absolutely crackin day again; on holiday and enjoyed every minute of it.

Even squeezed in a second dug walk in the evening just as the sun was starting to set. Flock of geese have taken up residence in a fallow field; no idea what the attraction is.

I know I'm a winter / snaw weather fan, but the whole long hot summer thing does have something going for it.

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It feels a lot warmer than the 16C being reported at Charterhall:

It's standard practice in the Borders but seeing crops getting watered still comes as a surprise to my westerner eyes:

20180608_165459.thumb.jpg.20ae5774c4d61a18dac6b77c83548376.jpg

Irrigators going here too mostly for tatties if the ditch is not dry .Crossed the Findhorn river yesterday and thought it was very low can"t remember the the name of the distillery but think its Tomatin but was told yesterday they got permission to take water from it as their own supply has dried up. The gorse fire near Lossiemouth was still smouldering today with smoke still rising from it. A gentle  shower or two of rain would be welcome but more than likely we will get a thunderstorm.

• Like 2

Posted

The remarkable period of weather continues.

Another day of unbroken sunshine (well, until around 7pm when cloud started to roll in from the NE), max temp of 19.5C and a light breeze.

The drought round here is really starting to show, spot where the sewage pipe is under the grass in this photo - even the deeper rooted dandelions are now wilting...

Snag_61c60230.thumb.png.2566634b89d4232044684082ea5598fd.png

And in other parts the grass is just dying especially near the edge of the road.....

Snag_61c8716b.thumb.png.51c3ffa9b12e81a0f833dfed7c19402e.png

Where the plants can still get moisture, things are looking grand -  here is one of the local parks, complete with foot high grass as Aberdeenshire Council don't seem to want to cut it this year (one cut so far in 2018!!).

Snag_61cbb1a2.thumb.png.068595f0f019f69741badc326eebc8c1.png

• Like 1

Posted

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 09 Jun 2018 - 05:59 UTC Sun 10 Jun 2018

ISSUED 20:24 UTC Fri 08 Jun 2018

ISSUED BY: Chris

Widespread thunderstorms are expected across parts of Scotland and Ireland on Saturday afternoon...

A shortwave trough and associated positive vorticity advection will spread northeastwards across Scotland during Saturday helping to promote mass ascent. This combined with slack surface pressure and daytime heating will help to fuel surface based thunderstorm development into the afternoon.

CAPE values of around 1,000 J/kg will be present across parts of Scotland by the afternoon, however bulk shear will be weak (generally less than 15kts), so storms will likely pulse and perhaps become multi-celluar at times. Orographically enhanced updrafts along with the aforementioned instability could help to generate hail to 1.5cm in diameter in the strongest storms. A few funnels, and perhaps a landspout tornado cannot be ruled out in the earlier stages of thunderstorm develop, particularly in the two Moderate risk areas in Scotland. 

The biggest impact will be from localised flooding as thunderstorms drift only slowly off to the northeast once they have developed. Local downpours in valleys across Scotland could pose a risk of flash flooding, so please monitor https://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/ for flood alerts and warnings, especially into the afternoon. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

And now in D&G too. Going to be interesting to see how widely these develop and how far towards the east.