Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
16 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Seems to be some heavy pulses appearing on radar South of Edinburgh and over Moffat

image.thumb.png.09c57931ffc4a193861cb9dc49f324ad.png

Seems to be staying put. No wind to carry it anywhere really. 

• Like 2

Posted

A warm and bright start to the first day of June. It's hard to remember the last time it rained - the last disappointing day of weather must have been in early May. Traditionally May can be the best month for dry, settled and sunny weather. The last couple of years aswell as 2012 and 2008 had spells of fine weather and 2012. You'd normally expect a spell of cool, unsettled showery Spring weather but other than the start of last month it was exceptionally dry, settled and predominately sunny and warm for a prolonged period spanning two thirds of the month. Some days have started off slowly but there've been a number of days of unbroken sunshine and a couple of recent evenings were completely clear with a large moon and bright star (Jupiter?). 25 C was the highest tempersture at Glasgow airport, May 2012 and 2017 saw 27C, and 20C was recorded on 9 days - equalling May 1992 and bettered only by 1980. 

It's been an unusually very interesting and ideal year of weather so far - normally we would have at least one non descript or disappointing month of weather. We have a seasonal, cold and snowy winter which persisted throughout much of the first half of Spring and climaxed with the Beast from the east. Typical Spring weather arrived in the second half of April and In contrast to early in the Spring, much of May had perfect early summer weather with exceptionally dry and settled weather. It's been a pretty dry year overall so far which really makes for a change. 

The only interesting weather missing from this year is a notable gale or thunderstorm. However it appears summer 2018 could get off to an explosive start with the potential for some thunderstorms later today and tomorrow. There's been plenty of activity in Europe and Southern Britain - my sister happened to be in London during the thunderstorm of last Saturday night. It's hard to remember the last time I heard thunder or saw lightning and there hasn't been many or any proper thunderstorms over the last 10 years. May 4 2006 was easily the most impressive and scariest thunderstorm I've experienced. I'm not expecting anything close to that event though I think today has the potential to be the most significant event since. I used to be more afraid of thunder of lightning - I now appreciate and enjoy it as a spectacle aided with access to radar and lightning maps - though I'm looking forward to the rest of the day with a sense of excitement at some thunder and lightning activity for the first time in a while and some apprehension about the potential for the most severe thunderstorms for a long time. I'm not expecting any supercells, funnel clouds/tornadoes or large hail but I'm expecting some interesting looking skies, heavy rain showers - potentially very heavy rain - which could make up for the lack of rain over the last month and some thunder and lightning but not of the intensity we've seen in other parts of the UK and Europe in recent weeks.

• Like 3

Posted

Warm, humid and sunny in Aberdeen.  Some large cumulus bubbling up to the western horizon.  Time to have the afternoon off!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

My daughter is heading off to Hamden to see Ed Sheeran this evening and is wondering if she is going to get soaked. Any local knowledge?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Norrance said:

My daughter is heading off to Hamden to see Ed Sheeran this evening and is wondering if she is going to get soaked. Any local knowledge?

Hard to say, but radar starting to look quite active and moving North. I would say that a raincoat would be advisable, my missus was there a few years ago for Take That, and got caught in a downpour, on the pitch, there is no shelter.

image.thumb.png.8cb7f230aa6b7481fcdf63d1235ab76f.png

• Like 1

Posted

Some spell of weather over the last few weeks, eh?  Particularly in the west.  In the absence of any profound meteorological observations to share, I thought I’d share a few photos taken out and about during late April and May (the first one being near Scotland’s snow capital - Crail ).  Will maybe manage some higher hills during the summer, depending on the weather!

Old track, Balcomie, near Crail

reuse.php?id=5766591&download=79dd5eeb

Old drove road near Broughton

reuse.php?id=5779844&download=97aec6c1

Mennock Pass

reuse.php?id=5748036&download=7e41b97f

South Queich, Ochil Hills (Lomond Hills in the distance).

reuse.php?id=5760949&download=8e85de54

Old drove road near Skirling

reuse.php?id=5779958&download=98186f56

Friesian cattle below Loudoun Hill, Ayrshire

reuse.php?id=5790539&download=1664dc76

Edited by Spindrift2017
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

23.3c showing here at the moment but must confess it feels hotter!   Slight breeze.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Very humid, radar shows a cell with rain rates of about 120-150mm/hr approaching slowly... It'll probably pulse down by the time it gets here tho 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted

Can hear some distant rumbles coming from pentlands area.

• Like 1

Posted

Thunder here now.(well a cell brushing past to the east I think) 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Kinda got that look and feel about it now.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Cheggers said:

Hard to say, but radar starting to look quite active and moving North. I would say that a raincoat would be advisable, my missus was there a few years ago for Take That, and got caught in a downpour, on the pitch, there is no shelter.

image.thumb.png.8cb7f230aa6b7481fcdf63d1235ab76f.png

Hopefully they will be past by the evening.

I am just home from a couple of days in Highland Perthshire. Thought that it would be cooler nearer the coast but feels pretty much the same. Currently 23.0C and sticky.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Thunderstorm in the distance with big deep rumbles of thunder 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Have had thunder pass through here (Eastern side of East Kilbride) for at least half an hour or so so far, last 15 mins the thunder was constant with about 5 secs between each rumble. 

• Like 1

Posted

Continuous rumbles here and getting closer/louder.

• Like 1

Posted

Ummm I think we're about to get rather wet lol skies very very onimous

Here we go it's on

Edited by NUT
  • Like 2

Posted

Gorgeous day here in Aberdeenshire.  

• Like 1