Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
4 hours ago, Norrance said:

Cloud cleared fairly quickly AM but temperatures still tempered by North Sea breeze. Currently 13.4C

My wife and daughter were in Comrie this morning and did Lady Marys walk by the river in Crieff this afternoon. Said it has been a glorious day there after a cloudy start this morning. @ Polar Gael can probably confirm.

Absolutely! Fab weather here again after the early cloud shifted. Max of 19.5C and looks set fair for the foreseeable. 

May is on course to be a drier than average month for the second year in a row. Last year, from second half of April up to 12 May we managed 26 days on the bounce with no measurable rainfall. Last April was also very dry indeed (only 5.4mm of rainfall for the entire month).

Current spell has notched up 12 dry days so far and yet again, the Earn is looking on the low side. 

Lang may it continue! :yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted

Lovely day here to. 23c this afternoon in strong sunshine. Still sowing swedes in ideal conditions. Only down side has been the loss of Oyster Catcher nests in the turnip fields. Not our fault as we marked the nests and tractors went round them but all the eggs have gone. The main suspects are badgers who we see evey evening  (Aurora Storm will back this up) pine martin and foxes. Ground nesting birds have almost been wiped out by the number of predators we have now and it is not the farmers fault.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

That's such a shame about the birds, we used to see loads of oystercatchers here and only a couple of pairs now. Also used to have loads of plover and curlews but again only a few now. I miss the lovely noise they make.  My dad told me once that his dad hated tractors NL, because they destroyed all the nests. He said it was easy to go round them ploughing with horses but not with a tractor. It was a lovely insight into a lost age and made me think kindly of my grandad who seemed to me a grumpy auld sod

• Like 5

Posted

Superb once again just a small breeze preventing it from getting really hot but perfection once again and no mist and low cloud to greet us this morning either 

• Like 2

Posted

Just fantastic weather this last month, surely no finer country to be in when the sun is shining. It's been a joy to be outside. Here's a local piper delighting tourists atop the old packhorse bridge in Carrbridge in some lovely evening light

IMG_8739.thumb.PNG.1ec28fc67dcff01c6fe75be42998466e.PNG

The expression "breeding like rabbits" is certainly relevant in the garden, a bunny explosion. Those natural predators that NL mentioned are sadly lacking round here. Surrounded by estates, their idea of "conservation" means shooting or trapping absolutely  anything that threatens the game bird population, so foxes, badgers, marten and even raptors fall foul to their practices, all so that some peeps can shoot a bird for £150 a pop. The result is a massive rabbit population (which I don't mind) but the equally huge rat population in the glen is a less welcome side-effect. A more nuanced relationship with the environment and local wildlife from these big estates would be great

18c and sunny ☀️ 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Much better day around Dundee and NE Fife. Sun was out all day and temps some 10c higher than yesterday. 23c in Dundee, 19c at Leuchars. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Much better day around Dundee and NE Fife. Sun was out all day and temps some 10c higher than yesterday. 23c in Dundee, 19c at Leuchars. 

I was through in Glasgow today where it felt pretty warm. Got back to find that my max here had been 22C which I think is a high for the year.  Still warm now but hopefully will drop quickly for a good nights sleep. Min last night was 7C.

• Like 2

Posted

A repeat performance here weather wise with max of 21C - enough of a breeze to keep things feeling perfect.  This is definitely turning out to be a cracking spell of weather.

Temperature got held back by a veil of high cloud that persisted for much of the day making the sunshine a bit hazy at times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Sun breaking through here already.

I don't normally get that excited about weather not involving snaw or hoolies, but this recent spell is great.

• Like 2

Posted

Took a bit longer today but we are back in the blue ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Warming up again , must be 2 weeks and only one day where rain has occurred in that 2 weeks in Glasgow , Was in Newcastle yesterday and it was raining heavily.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A much stronger breeze today did bring in some thin cloud from the North Sea but all broken up now. Feels pleasant T 19.9C. At some point earlier did hit 22.1C a new high for the year just by a point.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

A much stronger breeze today did bring in some thin cloud from the North Sea but all broken up now. Feels pleasant T 19.9C. At some point earlier did hit 22.1C a new high for the year just by a point.

That extra bit of shelter definitely counts. I walked the coastal path to Arbroath this afternoon and the wind was quite bracing. Temperature couldn’t have been more than 15c (looking at the Leuchars figures that looks about right). Wonderful bright sunshine though!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just got the fright of my life when I went to put some scrap wood into the kindling bucket in the shed. Mummy blackbird suddenly flapping in my face. Back for a second year it seems.

IMG-20180526-WA0005.jpeg

Luckily the weather is not the sort you need kindling for. 

19 C and glorious. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Cool wind spoiling my day here!!! But weather station is saying its 18c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Glorious.

IMG_20180525_1752292.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Been a strange couple of days here. An Easterly breeze but very little haar and temps up to the seventies. Long may it continue!

Forecasts have been underestimating the temperatures for the last few days. Eg met office says 13C for now but it is over 18C

• Like 9

Posted

For here at least this is turning into one of the best periods of weather for quite a few years. 

The temperature is not breaking records (max of 21C), it's the longevity of the dry weather that is striking (now 2 weeks since any noticeable rain) and the bountiful sunshine (bar the odd day when the haar has been stubborn).

End result is everything is looking wonderfully verdant...

Snag_116cfab.thumb.png.ed6f88df29eb44c925458aabc1aba47c.png

Snag_1171753.thumb.png.3284da23c4833aaaa4f67b610401f7de.png

And the garden is responding well - poppies best for many years...

Snag_119bdda.thumb.png.9bfbcb50352571196cd9ab5a2aeedfab.png

Though not a good year for Rhubarb as it's bolting like mad.  Left this one though for the kids to wonder at, flowers are impressive!

Snag_120e834.thumb.png.b04f879132dc598ea39c17b0760c68e7.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been too busy to post recently, and another "it's glorious" post would hardly have added much anyway. It has been though. 

On Friday the day we took possession of our new house finally arrived. Not moved in yet, the benefit of being forced to rent for a few months means a 'relaxed' transition. I'll post some pics of the massive garden and impressive views at some point. At 220m asl I'm hoping come winter to be enjoying the days the weather forecasts say "... and will fall as snow over 200m". 

Long may this period of weather continue as I'm now looking forward to 10 weeks of summer holidays, although I'll be kept busy with the new house and garden. Since we're now on a private water supply a little rain now and again wouldn't go amiss though. 

• Like 7

Posted

Another lovely sunny start to the day but again you need to be in the sun to enjoy it. 13c with a notable easterly breeze around 20mph.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, JoeShmoe said:

Edinburgh literally the only place in Scotland where its cloudy, its actually cold here !

Unfortunate. Edinburgh is the coldest place in Scotland, 10c at 3pm. Even notable cold spot Fair Isle managed 11c. It’s 13c here but pleasant enough in the sunshine.

At the other end of the scale both Aviemore and Prestwick have hit 25c.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2

Posted

This graphic from this morning possibly shows how we have been lucky the last few days in East Central Scotland. Haar to the North and South and even through the Great Glen but staying offshore from Angus and Fife.

3CACED83-D626-49CF-BD47-954E3B2C3B6C.jpeg

• Like 4