Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Even the breeze was ok up here today - yesterday it was really cold and horrible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

From Saturday onwards, have recorded maxima of 17.5C, 17.5C, 20.4C, 19.4C and 19.2C and other than yesterday afternoon's cloudy blip, it's been sunshine all the way. Finally making good headway in the garden without being semi-frozen or getting drookit.

Models are suggesting that it will remain predominantly settled right through to month end - which would be a great result.

Swallows and housemartins have returned, though no sign of the swifts here yet and I think I heard the first cuckoo of the year yesterday, though it may have been a particularly clear cushy doo. 

My only hope for the summer right now is that it gives us a repeat of 2013, rather than the pattern of many recent years when a decent April/May has been as good as it gets in terms of settled weather and the subsequent summers have been mixed to poor. Fingers crossed it goes the right way! :good:

• Like 7

Posted

Started sunny but some cloud has built up. Pretty much as expected really

Posted

Afternoon all. Some pretty nice weather being had at present. Had the car read 28c the other day!!! Needless to say, after 10 minutes drive it dropped to 23c, but still nice and warm considering 6 weeks ago most of us were buried in 4 feet of snaw.

With the nice weather, there have been some pretty stunning sunsets.

389833438_20180512_2125311.thumb.jpg.1556e79a8eb3ea8975221f1a5a10ad5c.jpg

431166657_20180514_1701391.thumb.jpg.1669e6df13ae32c89c3bb86b8390df85.jpg

1555768568_20180515_2131511.thumb.jpg.9b31a464d595fa9b98a382990108aa4c.jpg

Currently mostly sunny and around 18C

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 3

Posted

Yes, another lovely day, just a hazy blue sky now, and maybe a touch cool for sitting out this evening.

@Polar Gael I heard a cuckoo calling during a jaunt up Glen Esk this afternoon. :)

• Like 2

Posted

I misjudged the evening temps. The cool breeze having dropped, it has been feeling very pleasant and sunny out-of-doors 6 - 8pm.

Still expecting it to be cold when the sun drops, though.

• Like 1

Posted

Dawn to dusk unbroken sunshine, light winds, comfortable maximum temperature of 17C and useable daylight at 22:00.  Yep, the perfect Scottish weather day in my book 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The weather has been great lately, sunny with temperatures between 17c-19c during the day is just perfect. Next week looks like it will become even warmer with temperatures into the low 20s for some areas and with no sign of much rain as high pressure dominates.

Bring it on! 

• Like 1

Posted

Still sun out here but a lot more milky/hazy today still warm though 

• Like 1

Posted

A very pleasant and warm day here with temps around 18C - 20C during the afternoon  - great for working outside, striving to get the garden under some form of neatness and order.

For added interest, there were some nice cloud formations too.

1950948341_clouds04.thumb.jpg.59ab3b7c14f8b48677775dc54111e8c7.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Clearing skies again (looks a belter for tomorrow) felt pretty humid today though I thought

• Like 3

Posted

Fine summer day spoilt only by the strong wind . Currently 21c

Having said that the first signs of drought are appearing in the drying wind. Just weeded the garden and seedling weeds are already crisp. Cut the domestic grasses this morning probably for a while unless we get appreciable rain fairly soon.

On my travels with the mower noticed that a contoneaster ( spelling) plant that had been completely burnt off by the beast from the east on the 28th of February is showing signs of growth lower down.Will probably prune out the dead wood later this summer. Even on  a great summers day there are reminders of winter.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted

Still fairly bright but has clouded in and breeze been fairly strong for most of the day should herald a slight change for tomorrow but seems it won't last 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I am off to the Lake District on Friday for a few days. The weather looks perfect for hill walking, I should be able to get some great pictures 

• Like 3

Posted

Rain band much further southeast and more organised than modelled this morning? Genuinely surprised to have woken up to steady rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Back home after a great couple of days walking around northern Loch Lomond.

As Catch has posted very settled looking outlook. Reporting in for Haar watch duty though! 

51B9498C-112A-428D-A24D-6105BB6720A9.jpeg

961A087A-F2D6-4F02-BCC9-054DAC91327D.jpeg

69F37D50-B432-49A7-B82C-B6D2447D34B7.jpeg

B5B662E1-73EF-4AA3-B51B-D610D330FB20.jpeg

1EB3B808-1AA8-4FBD-A53C-13FC8D7F397A.jpeg

5C57E6A3-00CF-4EF8-91D2-E87FD302D126.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

RAIN?? Ooooo we haven't got any here. You keepit pet.

Posted

Been a cloudy day but not cold hopefully one of our few blips this week 

• Like 1

Posted

After a cool overcast start to the morning at home at 14C, there were a few large raindrops followed by a short sunny interval in Aberdeen at lunchtime. Haar very evident over the N Sea on way home. Now still cloudy, feeling humid and mild at 18C with a light SW breeze. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Next person to say it's going to be a lovely day today gets a smack aroond the face wi' a wet fish! It's jaffa cakesin' doon fine style here, same as yesterday. Lots of happy touroids wandering aimlessly aroond the island, couldnae see anything for scotch mist! However, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it looks as if even Skye will get some longed for sunshine and warmth. Perfect timing as I'm off on hold at the weekend and although it may not get too warm in Orkney it will still be sunny up there! My biggest dilemma his how many bottles of gin to take!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted
On 19/05/2018 at 15:06, Northernlights said:

Fine summer day spoilt only by the strong wind . Currently 21c

Having said that the first signs of drought are appearing in the drying wind. Just weeded the garden and seedling weeds are already crisp. Cut the domestic grasses this morning probably for a while unless we get appreciable rain fairly soon.

On my travels with the mower noticed that a contoneaster ( spelling) plant that had been completely burnt off by the beast from the east on the 28th of February is showing signs of growth lower down.Will probably prune out the dead wood later this summer. Even on  a great summers day there are reminders of winter.

Well we got a nice drop of rain last night and after a dull dry morning we now have steady drizzly rain just fantastic for all the plants   Currently 12c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sun has been rather hazy at times today but still managed to top 20C. Cooler tomorrow though as more of an Easterly. 

Spotted a very large butterfly landing in a shrub in the back garden so rushed out to get a photo. Its colours were identical to the fence, dark green leaves and red berries  so very difficult to spot.

19EDC027-26EE-47EF-883B-C55DE4F70DE0.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Catch - so where is going to be good? Far west or more north?  I need a wee break.

Posted

I think we should all be planning a visit to see @mistyqueen West coast definitely the place to be if those charts come off!  I must admit haar is the one thing I don’t like about living on the east coast, though as Catch says we need to keep it in perspective, it’s the price we pay for being relatively dry and sunny by Scottish standards for much of the year.

I know I’m tempting fate but there has been very little haar in the last few springs/summers. That said I still clearly  remember the haar-fest horror show that was June 2007 (least sunny June on record for Leuchars, also the wettest!) 

There was a bit of haar here today but also sunny spells and temperature made it to a respectable 18c at Dundee Riverside.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 2