Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Another glorious dry day though the temperature continues to get cooler - max today of "only" 16C, generally clear blue skies and a light to moderate SW wind.

The march to summer continues, can tick off the appearance of the first bat flying around this evening - the swallows and house martins should be here in the next week or two.

Farmers around us making the most of the weather with plenty sowing of seed.

There has been some merging of fields round here which in turn creates some desolate looking landscapes.  Not good for wildlife but makes perfect sense economically.

Snag_4ff6a46.thumb.png.f7aa7544404df50853e35ce1fe14d453.pngSnag_5043a83.thumb.png.6714f6eefedafd5e4af4a4c6ac59c083.png

Apologies to Hairy Celt again but got to show couple more daffodil photos.  There is an old ruined croft (derelict at least 50 years) near us and the track leading up to it is lined with these double green/yellow daffodils - a heritage variety I suspect as I would bet on them being originally planted early last century (can see same type in the grounds of Dunecht Estate).  

Snag_50aca33.thumb.png.29165907ba6e273a504ec2ae16ef25d1.pngSnag_50a7cfd.thumb.png.85c6674c3a9b827faba857ee6663b779.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 4

Posted

Reporting in from South Coast of England Pagham bognor and got one hell of a beauty of a storm ongoing 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Constant horrible drizzle here, the kind of rain that's really wet !

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

That thunderstorm this morning....something else!! It was a vicious little beast with loads of thunder and thunderous downpours of rain. Worth getting woken up for.

Went to sleep with distant lightning flashing around (storm over Moffat/Ettrick) and was woken by two very short intense downpours, but nothing of that description here Catch. 

15 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Constant horrible drizzle here, the kind of rain that's really wet !

Smirry rain!?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

They are saying on another forum that we've to get more snow and below zero temps next week. Please god somebody tell me it's not true. I love snow but not all bloody year :angry:

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, mardatha said:

They are saying on another forum that we've to get more snow and below zero temps next week. Please god somebody tell me it's not true. I love snow but not all bloody year :angry:

Not sure, but Ochils could do with a top up. ?

20180422_145954.thumb.jpg.6e3908dffe5163078613f47ca9493986.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Much cooler than yesterday but dry and bright most of day as the rain stayed away! Good progress in the garden which was looking shocking after shamefully being ignored all last spring/summer. Due a beer and although it's only 10c I'll be having it outside :)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Yesterday was lovely and topped out in the high teens.

After getting the days domestic tasks done, managed a late afternoon cycle up the back along the southern upland way (phone snaps below) followed by a cold beer in the gairden. Gorse is coming into bloom, giving a lovely scent in the breeze.

Today cooler and wet at times; managed to give the lawn its first cut in between occasional showers. And so the mowing season begins. 

Currently pishin doon.

IMG-20180421-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20180421-WA0005.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted

The cooling trend continued today with a maximum of 15C reached briefly in the mid afternoon accompanied by a cool light to moderate SW wind. 

Generally cloudy until this evening when the skies cleared.   

Dry here all day going by the gauge but there was a heavy shower of rain in Aberdeen at lunchtime that lasted 20mins or so.

Didn't have to wait long after all for the first House Martin, the first one of the year turned up in the sky above the house this afternoon which is a week earlier than last year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

I see that some of you folks have actually had pleasant spring weather! Still waiting for it's arrival here, dry on Saturday, but cold, tipping doon all day yesterday, and cold with it. Just started raining again and the forecast for the week isn't very inspiring. Pliz to send some sun to Skye. Ta muchly! 

• Like 2

Posted

Oh well, back to traditional April weather.  A cool showery day with max temperature of 13.5C with light southerly winds. 

Extended forecast is not looking brilliant either, me thinks the cloches are going to have to go back on the raised beds again.

• Like 1

Posted

Saw first swallow here yesterday and trees starting to burst into leaf even a big old beech which is normally into May .Looks like they will all be shivering by the end of the week. Got grass seed in ground yesterday so all crops sown except neeps.which  are normall y in the last half of May when frost risk reduced.

A  cool start to the day at 5.5c with a few showers overnight layng the dust .Currently breezy bright and 10c

• Like 7

Posted

Young Mr Northernlights pictured here  this   fine evening  rolling P4241208.thumb.JPG.8a4b94eddddb846cf3f3ba7d1fdc8528.JPG P4241209.thumb.JPG.0250a71712d48e26eb9da449c590147c.JPGin the grass seed and barley in the last field. I washed the filthy cars as he finished as I never encourage  it to rain until we are finished sowing. Currently clear and 6c

Discovered a hair line half metre  crack in the windscreen of my own car so at least it won"t  be a suprise shatter on the road.

Farm   road looking at its spring time best.20180424_144435.thumb.jpg.9fbe5c04f798a44866ee3c290cfdc630.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

A day of sunny spells and fluffy clouds - heavy showers all around especially late afternoon but we escaped here dry.

Max of 14.6C today with moderate SW winds to start with becoming light and shifting to more a SE direction.

Feeling sorry for our resident House Martin, as there still just the one - beech hedge though finally decided that winter is over as the leaves are now starting to fall off in abundance.

• Like 2

Posted

4c  sunny start to the day so growth a bit slower or stopped for the next few days.

• Like 2

Posted

Sunny but nippy start to the day - frost, no wind, temp at 6am 0C.

In regard to spring migration, still no sign of swallows or house martins in my neck of the woods, although willow warblers and chiff-chaffs have arrived.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

From the Met office. Figures from last 30 years. I see that Perth had the same average max as Leeds and Bradford over the Winter but lower minima. Perth's readings are taken in town at the college I believe. I also noted that Perth is the only actual city to have recorded the lowest U.K. Winter temperature over the whole year though it was at a time that there were fewer rural weather stations.

IMG_0124.JPG

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted

A cooler day with max of 13C with generally light west winds. 

Showers have been passing by near us all day but again we missed them - some impressive looking clouds though, suspect someone got hail.

Snag_1ef7586.thumb.png.6ff83e368abe96a6cca541ab5f7bc180.pngSnag_1ef5701.thumb.png.489f415846f0c41c466d5c2308e14e0f.png

Pretty big military exercise going on just now as for the second day in a row there was significant military traffic passing overhead this morning (multiple transport planes in formation and single fighters heading north at high altitude).  Exercise is called "Joint Warrior" apparently - link.

Snag_1f5dd4b.thumb.png.dfd529167d5aeaea7000bf06815bde9c.png

• Like 6