Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

-3C and a treacherous drive into work.  But you knew that and it's quite ordinary nowadays :laugh:

And it is now 10am (9am GMT) and I am declaring today a snow day - plenty of it everywhere.  My 40th!  Hurrah.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

East coast pish can do what it wants next week, we're heading south-west for a week. Sandy beaches, here we come.

Cracking day here today though. Almost warm in the sun.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Easterners beware!! After a much warmer weekend the weather settles down into another easterly, not cold enough for snow but it's going to be an east coast skank fest. Look at the temp chart for next Friday, huge differences east to west. I wouldn't be surprised to see some west coast places hitting 18-20C in glorious sunshine while the east coast will be 7C and cloudy at best:

5thApr207GFSt.thumb.jpg.2a95767e95a4c14d2c60992004c34293.jpg

April really is the cruellest month sometimes, especially for east coasties when these highs set up in spring which they inevitably do. Can recall one day in the 1970's when the west coast was hitting 21C and Edinburgh was in 5C and haar. And that'll be the next thing, the bloody haar.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
11 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

East coast pish can do what it wants next week, we're heading south-west for a week. Sandy beaches, here we come.

Cracking day here today though. Almost warm in the sun.

South west Scotland or further? We're currently trying to decide whether to take off for a week from Sat but haven't yet decided or booked due to an ominous rumble the car is kindly making. In garage today for a diagnosis. If fixed or at least OK to drive might head to Ireland though I will be making a last minute bid for Cornwall (so I can see my mum). If car terminal will either be heading north in ancient camper or staying at home. 

Posted
1 minute ago, snowidea said:

South west Scotland or further? We're currently trying to decide whether to take off for a week from Sat but haven't yet decided or booked due to an ominous rumble the car is kindly making. In garage today for a diagnosis. If fixed or at least OK to drive might head to Ireland though I will be making a last minute bid for Cornwall (so I can see my mum). If car terminal will either be heading north in ancient camper or staying at home. 

Islay - not been there (apart from work) since 2003 so looking forward to it. Also hoping to get a chance to visit Jura and Colonsay, the latter I've not been to before.

Hopefully your car's rumble is either your imagination or a cheap fix :)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I once left my house West of Dundee at 22C in the morning to go and watch the golf at Carnoustie. Went in shorts and t shirt. Hear came in temp 6C so had to buy a fleece and a jacket for my wife. She worked at St Andrews uni and often was in haar when we were clear at home. It does get to us sometimes though as it drifts up the river and even when it doesn't we get a chill in the air.

Feels really warm in the sun now though at 8.4C with a Westerly breeze up from -2.2C at breakfast time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Seeing reports that yesterday was Edinburgh's coldest April day on record with the Royal Botanic Garden recording a high of 2c

Can anyone confirm?

Posted
50 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Seeing reports that yesterday was Edinburgh's coldest April day on record with the Royal Botanic Garden recording a high of 2c

Can anyone confirm?

Can't confirm the record but the highest temp recorded yesterday at my nearest Met station (Edinburgh Gogarbank) was 1.4c at 8pm yesterday evening!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Cheers Ben, enjoyed the vid? Felt cold enough watching it!

First morning above zero in a good while, 2 above as I left. Meandering west this weekend, Skye bound. As I've said before, sunshine and no midges really is a thing to savour, so hoping it can remain clear when we're taking the dog for a stretch

heard a terrible wee joke this morn but I laughed, seeing as it's Friday.. 

"The wife has left me for a boomerang salesman....

..she'll be back " 

?

• Like 4

Posted

Dull day this morning after a fine sunny day yesterday which started to dry things up. with no frost a first for nearly a week. Still a very barren looking countryside which could easily be late February.Currently 6.5c. Doubt we have seen the last falling snow at our level as our usual turnout date for the cattle is the 20th April and usually the following week they get snowed  onafter going out in 16c plus heat.This year turnout  is much more likely to be mid May given the lack of heat and growth so far. Livestock farmers and arable farmers are all under pressure with the late cold spring(I think a lot of Europe is affected too) and output of crops and livestock will all fall this year. Prices will be under pressure to rise but the supermarkets will do their best to limit this.

• Like 2

Posted

Been threatening all day but finally the heavens have opened

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

A bit of positive news .We had a nice heifer calf born yesterday to a heifer (first time calver)

Face getting washed for first time.Five minutes old20180405_112455.thumb.jpg.e48c6b243da3a63acc9a991fa6470112.jpg

Looking wobbly on her feet for the first time. One hour old.20180405_112718.thumb.jpg.b8d6c3ebc621fe61682bdc14a29e1e6f.jpg

Milk bar open first drink from mum.  One and half hours old.20180405_124105.thumb.jpg.e18c68852d997dc15b7cd4caa841a529.jpg

She'll be 'take me to the fkn pub, NL!' next.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

NL, that barn looks so cosy, I can almost smell the straw!

• Like 1

Posted

After the glorious sunny day that was yesterday in Inverness, back to grey dreich Aberdeenshire and a cool 5.5C on the car thermometer.  Snow still quite extensive on the higher hills but at least its dry here.  Beech hedges still clinging onto a full coat of last years leaves so they've still to be convinced that spring has sprung.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, mardatha said:

NL, that barn looks so cosy, I can almost smell the straw!

Yes straw was baled from very weathered barley hence the the grey/white colour but is very  dry.

However it was baled on a perfect day in the first five days of September which were dry so still has that freshly harvested smell and because it is so broken up the bales just fall  apart when plastic netting is removed

• Like 5

Posted

Grey grey grey 7°C. 

Might go back to bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloudy here too but the sun is trying to poke through. Milder at 9C.

Posted

Sun is out but cloud increasing markedly looks like another dollop of rain on the way but not that cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Absolute pits. So bored that I cleaned the cooker :shok:

• Like 2

Posted

I went out and got half way through trimming back a quite large tree. Luckily the rain came on and gave me an excuse to stop as am not used these days to hand sawing. V mild despite the rain and a rare so far this year > 10C.

Came in looking forward to a cold cider but found that my daughter had taken them away with her for a barbecue somewhere so will just have to make do with a bottle of wine then. Even better as the missus is out this evening.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3