Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Steady light snow this morning after about 3 inches of powdery, light stuff overnight 

*arrived down in Inverness, snow cover down to sea level 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

After all that snow, all day yesterday and some overnight, we have just under 2 inches. :rofl: Still falling very lightly.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A thawing thin covering of wet snow on parts of the grass and cars. Still occasional light sleety showers. 

Posted

There are few words to describe the weather this morning but 'pish' seems appropriate! A slushy, damp, sleety mess!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi Scotland,

Just popped into your thread to check the latest with the snow. We did well yesterday with  3 inches of snow but Sheffield is like Edinburgh with much higher amounts in parts of the city than others given the variability in height. 

Bit of a random question this one, which is the more snowier of the two cities, Glasgow or Edinburgh?? 

I suspect Glasgow is more exposed? 

Just curious, was fascinated by the red warning and it got me questioning. 

Sheffield 150m

• Like 1

Posted

Drive into work as bad as its been all winter (although admittedly for seven days this year I've been snowed-in so not experienced the roads when they have been bad enough for police closures).  0.0C on the car thermometer all the way to IKEA.  Lamancha/Leadburn particularly snowy with road slushy and/or white down the middle.

• Like 3

Big fat flakes falling heavily, its all going a bit slushy on the ground and I suspect this could be the last time I see snaw on the ground until November time. its been an epic 5 months with some of the best snaw ive ever seen, the banter in here is brilliant and ive really enjoyed my first winter with you all. I shall pop in and out during the summer months and keep up with you all. I hope everybody has a great summer.

Posted

No science to this but its really reminding me of the cool springs of my childhood in the sixties where cold air was never far away and kept returning all the way to late May..

On tenanted farms over  the centuries before, term date was 28th of May when farms changed tenants and all sowing had to be finished before the new tenant came in which allowed for late cold springs.to complete sowing.

A bit of science the NW Atlantic has very cold air over it almost half way to us. and Scandinavia is still very cold and with the North Sea still fairly cold, cold air may rule for a while at least up here.

Hope these musings are wrong and it will be 21c in a weeks time in the north of Scotland!!!!!!

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

White but disappointing considering what was falling when I went to ma pit, Everything white but only just, and from the bottom of the hill to work nothing.

Posted

Despite the fact it been snowing for about 22 hours now very little made it to the ground (bet the mountains have capped a lot)

Posted

About 2 cm of wet slushy mush here, still fat flakes falling. There has now been falling and settling snow on at least one day for the last 6 months here. Hopefully spring soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The radar shows inland Caithness as dry but it's not - third brief but heavy snow shower here in 30 mins. Not sure what's going on with the radar but I'm finding it less reliable this winter than before, both false ppn and what we have this morning. I suppose I notice it more because I'm one of the fools who actually pays NW for the fancy radar. :doh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, farmans said:

Hi Scotland,

Just popped into your thread to check the latest with the snow. We did well yesterday with  3 inches of snow but Sheffield is like Edinburgh with much higher amounts in parts of the city than others given the variability in height. 

Bit of a random question this one, which is the more snowier of the two cities, Glasgow or Edinburgh?? 

Sheffield 150m

Historically Glasgow has fewer snow lying days just but I suspect that in the last few years it has had more. In fact I think it has more snow than Aberdeen recently, historically Scotlands snowiest city, but who have had a poor few years by their standards.

Overnight snow here has melted and it is dull and damp at 2.7C this morning.

edit. Just started sleeting.

Edited by Norrance
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
2 hours ago, farmans said:

Hi Scotland,

Sheffield 150m

I always believed Glasgow and the west was wetter but warmer, the east was colder and drier. Which doesn't answer your question at all  :D

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The radar shows inland Caithness as dry but it's not - third brief but heavy snow shower here in 30 mins. Not sure what's going on with the radar but I'm finding it less reliable this winter than before, both false ppn and what we have this morning. I suppose I notice it more because I'm one of the fools who actually pays NW for the fancy radar. :doh:

Yes, HC. I was apparently under heavy snow/sleet earlier today, when in fact I caught a glimpses of sun.:)

Anyway, currently, complete cloud cover, temp 2C, a nagging breeze from the NE and showers crossing the hills.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, More Snow said:

Big fat flakes falling heavily, its all going a bit slushy on the ground and I suspect this could be the last time I see snaw on the ground until November time. its been an epic 5 months with some of the best snaw ive ever seen, the banter in here is brilliant and ive really enjoyed my first winter with you all. I shall pop in and out during the summer months and keep up with you all. I hope everybody has a great summer.

Thank you for joining us - glad your move paid off so quickly! You've had quite the winter up there :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

The other way round now. Radar looks 'interesting'; the sky doesn't.

Posted

Sleet getting a lot heavier again after a clearance of sorts

Posted
21 minutes ago, NUT said:

Sleet getting a lot heavier again after a clearance of sorts

I assume roads are still OK, collecting son from Westfiled in 3 hours

Posted

@Benvironment - you might have your wish! Haven't been checking the charts frequently but looks like another potential spell of rain to wet snow tomorrow - backed up by the Met automated forecast which has heavy snow symbols for tomorrow afternoon:

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
27 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

I assume roads are still OK, collecting son from Westfiled in 3 hours

Completely clear won't have a problem

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

@Benvironment - you might have your wish! Haven't been checking the charts frequently but looks like another potential spell of rain to wet snow tomorrow - backed up by the Met automated forecast which has heavy snow symbols for tomorrow afternoon:

prectypeuktopo.png

Ooo lovely :) It's such good news for the higher hills north of the Central Belt. As much as I love winter I do like those spring days when you can spend longer in the hills, see the wildlife returning but still get an alpine experience on the summits due to the coires and ridges still being loaded.

• Like 7