Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
14 hours ago, mardatha said:

Husband ready to slit wrists here. He wants to get the bike on the road. I'm ready to slit mine because I have to listen to him moaning all day.. atmosphere so bad that cat has vanished to the cold bedroom to get peace :rofl:

Managed to get out on the motorbike to work on Thursday via the Cathkin Braes. It was cold but not as cold or miserable as Friday when I went to pick up bike parts and tools from Braehead. I was getting moved by the wind while at traffic lights with a 200kg bike!

Went for a walk with the wife, sister & husband in Linn Park today with their mad dog Ripley. Before we went out our 'nutter' (the nickname given by the neighbours) cat decided to stop my wife from going to the post office. He loves going on top and inside cars, vans & motorbikes. We get a lot of deliveries at home so when a delivery driver turns up an leaves the van open I have to ask them to make sure a cat hasn't hitched a ride. Had to stop mid post to stop him polishing off my left over chicken pakora. Almost got the box open...bloody cat!

Finished resurrecting my old Cube Aim 2010 mountain bike which I'm passing onto my nephew. I think if I had went beyond Sunday using the living room as a workshop my wife might have killed me.:D

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

Luka Honda cropped.jpg

IMG_3790.JPG

Edited by chemikal
spelling
  • Like 6

Posted

Been snowing for over an hour now, light but occasionally moderate, but has never looked like settling. Sleepy time!

• Like 1

Posted

Coldest night of April so far at -5c at 6.00am this morning and  clear. Currently -2c with blue skies and sunshine. 

• Like 3

Posted

Snow line here seems to have been around 150m, as hills behind Myothill are white. Blue sky and freezing here, getting ready to take the boy to work, and manage a day of screaming weans.

Posted

Thick dusting here. Was nothing at 2am despite light steady snow, so temps/dew must have continued to drop.

Is measurement of a snow day at 9am GMT, i.e. currently 8am?

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Coldest night of April so far at -5c at 6.00am this morning and  clear. Currently -2c with blue skies and sunshine. 

Yes and a lot of the shrubs like buddlias ,even honeysuckle have had their buds blackened today nature has taken a big hit this spring and will take a while to recover.Grass fields are quite brown/yellow again this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No snow here but blue skies and an early frost clearing in a warm sun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

We found some snow 

IMG_20180401_113402.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Hard frost overnight (-4C) but clear blue skies in morning saw temperature get up to 9C.  Bit more cloud in afternoon but with light winds felt very nice indeed.

Hills all around very white this morning though noticeable thaw by this evening.  Snow level I would say is around 200-250m.

Plants are definitely well behind this year, didn't expect to find snowdrops still in full bloom at Pitmedden Garden.  Wild Garlic giving the snowdrops a run for their money in terms of world dominance - woods around Pitmedden were full of the smell of them.

Snag_f93afa.thumb.png.d5e2baf777691de476566483f01ecd42.png

Snag_f9d508.png

Snag_fb895f.png

• Like 7

Posted

Apols for the blurring - zoom on from inside my kitchen!

IMG_20180401_144632.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Some heavy ass snow predicted on the WRF late tomorrow afternoon through into Tuesday. Mega slush fest?

5ac12c8b1face_ScreenShot2018-04-01at20_00_44.thumb.png.ee3565e77cd09c86eb59b0b20260c1de.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
43 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

Some heavy ass snow predicted on the WRF late tomorrow afternoon through into Tuesday. Mega slush fest?

5ac12c8b1face_ScreenShot2018-04-01at20_00_44.thumb.png.ee3565e77cd09c86eb59b0b20260c1de.png

Heavy ass snow? A bad case of anal dandruff, or a seasonal medication for piles?

Posted

Fine bright spring day with an arctic background with superb visibility.Moving some soil in garden this afternoon and it was still frozen

A few photos from today Ben Wyvis being engulfed by a snow shower this morning20180401_111524.thumb.jpg.f1a58bcd3dae0c2b195ff699e7c37395.jpg

Hills to the west still in winter coats.20180401_111253.thumb.jpg.7eac8abfc5201b96e0adf8243c813b31.jpg

Snow shower to the north across the Firth near Tarbet Ness lighthouse this afternoon.P4011160.thumb.JPG.9c7793f8a5fd3bb774673a399caf8eb8.JPG

Late pm probably not the last snow shower  this spring to the south over the Cairngorms.P4011162.thumb.JPG.8a5ca7e885065e411259659775d64844.JPG

This shower gave some  us some  grauple as it passed close by a real spring synoptic.As can be seen in the photos a field of winter rape is very backward and our garden is very barren too. I think the lack of any deep snow cover this winter combined with a number of severe frosts culminating with the strong -5 wind at the end of February has really taken the greeness out of the countryside. Its a long time since it has looked so barren.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

Looks like this is going to be 1 intense band of.....................well whatever it will be when it hits. Doesn't seem to have weakened at all

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@Northernlights Yep I can only agree with that. Despite lambs in a few fields, longer days, budburst (slow) on trees, there's no real warmth around yet. Our lawn, right by the sea, is as yellow as I can remember for the start of April, the rhubarb is only a few inches tall (some Easters we are close to pulling the first stems) and the snowdrops are still flowering. Not a good start to the year.

My friend in the French alps is getting a bit peeved at the continuing falling snow, so it's not just us.

• Like 2

Posted

Well well Easter and we have dusting this morning at 0c. A few photos .

No gardening this morning.20180402_055316.thumb.jpg.21983f2a9d1dcd2419e88c5c2f9ed790.jpg

Another flurry fifteen minutes ago.20180402_061547.thumb.jpg.1691f934418c15a5ed2997b6cfea5e50.jpg

First time for a while we still have some neeps to lift in April but cows appreciate getting out every day for a fresh row.20180402_055606.thumb.jpg.3f963f8a0dd38daad742850564052838.jpg

A North Easterly  drift off the Firth and we get  snow  showers funnelled into us. Pity it took till spring to happen. There must be masses more fresh powder for the skiers today.Must be turning into one of the best ever Easters for all the ski resorts here in Scotland

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wow - lookat the met office radar! Incoming something :shok:  - seems to be sat on me from 1pm today until tomorrow morning.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Wow - lookat the met office radar! Incoming something :shok:  - seems to be sat on me from 1pm today until tomorrow morning.

Looks like a good few cms for Scotland ( South ) today - maybe up to 2-4 inches over >100/150 M

• Like 4

Looks like a Christmas card scene from my dining room window this morning, everything is covered white and looks like more to come later and tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I'm waiting and watching...

• Like 2