Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Shorts are compulsory there unless the temperature is under 2C with a strong wind. 

Not quite as warm here but very pleasant in the sun.

Posted

Nice day here too young Mr. Northernlights taking off more stones this afternoon but ground still a bit wet and cold in places.We have the first daffodil out on the farm road next to a south facing dyke in the middle of a bramble patch so very sheltered .I would think almost a month behind recent years. Currently overcast and 6c.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Nice day here too young Mr. Northernlights taking off more stones this afternoon but ground still a bit wet and cold in places.We have the first daffodil out on the farm road next to a south facing dyke in the middle of a bramble patch so very sheltered .I would think almost a month behind recent years. Currently overcast and 6c.

Our first daffs won't be out for a few more days yet. We're still in snowdrop mode.

Talking of modes (with apologies).... insufficiency.thumb.jpg.1186a51b88fe0a393e6876a8d4382b2b.jpg

Posted

Reasonable day today.  Started lovely and sunny but cloud built up over the day leads to a few spots of showery rain mid-afternoon.  Light to moderate winds and a max of 10C.

Crathes Castle was looking good today, gardens were surprisingly colourful - miniature daffodils were in full bloom whilst here they are a week or so away from blooming.

Snag_15730ef.thumb.png.62ef2dbc74ccc2f4d3cb336488583d26.png

Snag_1574419.png

Snag_1583d3e.png

• Like 8

Posted

Another stunning morning. Blue sky, sunshine and the first frost for a while. Currently around 0c. Love mornings like this :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Enjoyed a lovely sunny walk up towards the Three Brethren near Selkirk yesterday.

Spring had very much sprung.

Still found a few sneaky wee snaw patches in the shady parts as a reminder of beasties fae the east.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/borders/three-brethren.shtml

DSCF4192.jpg

DSCF4202.jpg

DSCF4207.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Found some snow hanging in there on the trails behind the house yesterday. Lovely day again today sadly spoiled by having to take youngest to a&e following a trampoline accident (she's fine just a bad sprain) then having to work from home which I hate. 

IMG_20180325_110939.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Nae a bad dry day.  Can we skip tomorrow though as it looks utterly awful going by the Met Office forecast.

Frosty start with clear skies then cloud quickly bubbling up to give a 50:50 mix of cloud and sunshine for rest of day, skies clearing now though.  Light winds generally and a max of 10C.

Driving round, some of the arable fields (think rapeseed mainly) are looking fresh green so there has been some growth in the last week.

Posted

@snowidea - I thought at first you'd got a picture of a dead guillemot... then read your post :oops:

Yesterday was good enough for a long cycle ride - mild, high cloud, no wind. Knackered. Showery this morning. All change, gotta work :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Back to normal. Cold and wet. 4.2C.

• Like 2

Posted

Crap basically. Quite a bit of rain overnight. More akin to November out there rather than end of March. Cold/Misty/Drizzly

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

????????

what the grumpy bungle said

first coaching of the year at the local park now the light nights are here and gonna be wrapped up well.... thoroughly miserable out there 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Was wet earlier on but brightened up and been quite ok, although grey.  Temp says 9C but it's not always accurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
21 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Going.....

Going.....

P1180890.jpg

Mossmorran doing their bit to help the snow melt and advance the spring forward :rofl:

Posted
1 hour ago, Benvironment said:

Going.....

Going.....

P1180890.jpg

See - the snowdrops are taking over! Do we have an strategic emergency response plan?

• Like 2

Posted

Miserable day.  5C, light winds and constant light to moderate rain since dawn - had to put kitchen lights on mid-afternoon as so dull and grey outside.

Met Office are bullish on it being a snowy day on Thursday, will believe it when I see it though I'm sure the kids would love starting the holidays a day early due to school transport not running due to the weather.

Snag_1a95f91.thumb.png.4aebf93de41c9582d1cccb218ae9199f.png

Posted

Lights on here too! It has been a miserable rainy, dark and foggy day. Temp has ranged from 3C - 6C, total cloud cover and nae wind.

Had one of my senior moments this morning and mis-timed a meeting in Fraserburgh.:nonono:Fortunately it did not cause too many problems.

On the subject of spring and the growing season, I don't know whether this is just skewed perception, but the daffodil flowering stems appear to be much shorter than in previous years. There were, however, a few EU persons ( 6 maybe) picking in the neighbouring field when I arrived home . The bulbs, of course, are the main product and lifted later.

And, in regard to a political observation relevant to my location, I have never noticed this advert in previous years. Perhaps a sign of continental EU citizens deciding the UK is not the chosen destination.

http://jobsgalore.uk/daffodil-pullers/

Posted
2 hours ago, ciel said:

Lights on here too! It has been a miserable rainy, dark and foggy day. Temp has ranged from 3C - 6C, total cloud cover and nae wind.

Had one of my senior moments this morning and mis-timed a meeting in Fraserburgh.:nonono:Fortunately it did not cause too many problems.

On the subject of spring and the growing season, I don't know whether this is just skewed perception, but the daffodil flowering stems appear to be much shorter than in previous years. There were, however, a few EU persons ( 6 maybe) picking in the neighbouring field when I arrived home . The bulbs, of course, are the main product and lifted later.

And, in regard to a political observation relevant to my location, I have never noticed this advert in previous years. Perhaps a sign of continental EU citizens deciding the UK is not the chosen destination.

http://jobsgalore.uk/daffodil-pullers/

I dont know if you would know , but before the EU was enlarged in 2004 , was it just locals in the fields picking ? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, scott125 said:

I dont know if you would know , but before the EU was enlarged in 2004 , was it just locals in the fields picking ? 

I think there were probably more locals   but with the chance of cheaper more willing  labour from eastern europe farmers under pressure to provide cheaper and cheaper crops employed them in spite of the fact that the money they earnt here was probably worth several times more when they took it home because of currency advantages. I have said  to a friend who employs a lot on his farm that if he paid local folk three times  the going rate here he would get plenty of  local UK pickers.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, scott125 said:

Can't give any exact figures regarding locals, but the daff season is quite short and traditionally attracted local women and the travelling community who would then move on to the berries later in the year.

Just to add, where I stay, at least, the business of daffodil growing has greatly increased over the past 10 yrs or so.

Edited by ciel