Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
22 hours ago, Hawesy said:

10.5c at Leuchars this afternoon, although was breezy enough to take the edge off the temperature.

Start of my Rob Roy Way walk looking okay weather wise at the weekend....will obviously have to keep an eye on what’s happening next week. Will try and keep you updated (phone signal permitting). :)

Phone signal should not be a problem in and around the Aberfoyle area with the installation of a new phone mast this week.  we now have 2g ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Beautiful day today, itching to get the camper out on the road and up north before the midges descend.

• Like 1

Posted

A third BT engineer arrived today early am and tested line no dial tone or broadband.Yipee a definite fault. Turns out it was a bit  of broken insulation on the line on the farm road.This intermittant fault has lasted two and a half weeks !!!!

Todays heavy rain must have helped to show it up. Fields very muddy again.

Remember in the past a lot of the old characters would say we needed a big fall of snow to warm up a cold spring, maybe this will happen in the next few weeks .

Currently clear  cold and  3c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hill snow only next week looks to be the current prognosis, at least until we get to unreliable la-la land next weekend.

Has anyone else noticed the massive spike in Snowdrop flowering this year? I've never seen so many, in so many places I don't recall seeing them, and flowering for so long.

Get checking those Snowdrops they could be worth a small fortune...

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/worlds-highest-price-paid-for-snowdrop-bulb

Posted
9 hours ago, chemikal said:

Get checking those Snowdrops they could be worth a small fortune...

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/worlds-highest-price-paid-for-snowdrop-bulb

Interesting.

A few years ago (maybe around10)  an agent from somewhere called to ask permission to lift nearby snowdrops "in the green." He was sent packing, of course.

Posted

It's a fine morning, here, sunny with a few Ci and Cs around, temp 7C and a slight breeze from the west. The visibility is crystal clear, the hills are pin-sharp. Underfoot is still very soggy though.

While in the field with doggie, noticed the commercial daffs have had a growth spurt over recent days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Braw day out. Up to 9.2C already - today might be the day where we break 10C for the first time since 28th January! 

We've managed one above average max so far this month: 9.4C on Wednesday (mild muck). 

It's now 'nailded' on as a notably cold March. Charts still fluctuating about next week's snaw potential, but the ski centres should be very happy with the forecast.

Not sure I'm up for an Easter weekend of cauld sleety rainy p*sh. Would rather it just snawed. Time enough yet though. :wink:

• Like 3

Posted

Cracking sunny afternoon and feeling warm in the sun whilst digging the garden. 

Certainly don't want cold sleety rubbish for Easter. Either proper snow or the same as this weekend please.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Fabulous day here too - sun was out first thing and is still out now, not a cloud in the sky. It was 9C when I was doing the garden, I was fried! But felt great to get that first day of the new season in, tidying up the mess left by the snow. I'm not listening to what's coming for easter, just don't tell me.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 3

Posted

Hazy sunshine in the morning but that soon went to leave virtually unbroken sunshine for the rest of the day and a max temperature of 9C.

A cold wind at times but in the sun felt lovely.  Summer is getting closer, saw my first bumblebee of the year this morning.  We have quite a few species of them round here (kids love the red-tailed ones) but honey bees are rare.  Neighbour blames that on the arable monoculture favoured round here.

• Like 3

Posted

Fine day here too with just a few very light showers. Ground starting to dry again. but this evening it was cooler with wintry looking showers on the horizon. Currently clear calm and 3c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cracking day here too. Got first 10C of the month this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Some nice early spring weather in Fife today, had a walk with the kids from dysart to kirkcaldy, 10 deg C very gentle breeze, sun strong enough to heat the beach sand so you could walk bare foot. What will next week bring ? "polar opposite" possibly?

20180324_142530.thumb.jpg.a3ce755084f91669935d3e1e7b6f8ef8.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
12 hours ago, Quinach said:

Hazy sunshine in the morning but that soon went to leave virtually unbroken sunshine for the rest of the day and a max temperature of 9C.

A cold wind at times but in the sun felt lovely.  Summer is getting closer, saw my first bumblebee of the year this morning.  We have quite a few species of them round here (kids love the red-tailed ones) but honey bees are rare.  Neighbour blames that on the arable monoculture favoured round here.

Modern farming methods really don't do the wildlife many favours at times. Commercial realities of a tough industry though. 

Our two colonies of honey bees have survived through the winter and have increased in numbers. Yesterday when we checked on them there were even some bringing in pollen, which means the Queen is laying again. It'll be interesting to see how they get on this year, after last year's strange goings on. The rape crop around here is only just starting to show above ground, well behind where it was last year. That might actually help the bees as last year there was an early feast, causing them to explode in numbers, then a relative famine during May and June. A gradual warm up into spring and then staying warm would be nice. 

Lovely day here yesterday, and hints of an early frost in the shaded areas this morning. 

• Like 2

Posted

Still practise an old fashioned 7 course rotation here of 3 years grass, 3 years barley and one year roots (Swedes) . On my travels yesterday saw several roe  deer grazing a grass field, Partridge in the last acre of neeps, a young hare(leveret) in the old stackyard and a pair of buzzards hunting near the woods. Still have a pheasant coming to bird feeder every morning/.

Currently clear bright and 4c with a ground frost

• Like 5

Posted

What a difference a week makes!

Sunday 18th March: "There's 8cm of snow! Come on, let's take the kids sledging again"!

Sunday 25th March: "It's beautiful out there. Really warm in the sun. Away out and get that [deleted] garage cleared"!

The joys of spring :angry:

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
15 minutes ago, 101_North said:

What a difference a week makes!

Sunday 18th March: "There's 8cm of snow! Come on, let's take the kids sledging again"!

Sunday 25th March: "It's beautiful out there. Really warm in the sun. Away out and get that [deleted] garage cleared"!

The joys of spring :angry:

Yeah, exactly the same here! Lovely warm sun, and at least I'm outside in it, but what a task I have - repairing the wiring loom in the Yeti. I don't believe car electrics these days :blink2: What planet are the designers on?

• Like 3

Posted

Unfortunately we are in the line of some showers sprinkling their ice cold rain drops on my freshly razored head. I'm trying to do the first rake of the season and gather up all the twigs and broken assorted bits of tree from the lawn areas, but third time I've come back indoors to watch the showers pass over in streaks of rain... :nonono:Hmmmm.

• Like 4

Posted

What appears to be another nice day, but I am in bed with neck spasams, and on a cocktail of Tramadol, co-codomol and Diazapam. :nea:

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted

Had a pleasant stroll along the beach at Arbroath this afternoon.  The temp soared to 12C :)  and the spring-like conditions brought forth caravaners, bikers.......and men in shorts :D

Shower clouds gathering now as I type.

• Like 2