Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Nipped our to collect Saturday night take away..... everything is nice and white.

What a great Winter/ start to Spring:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

wow just looked out and its completely white and fairly heavy..... 

@hawesy interesting you mentioned Toronto im off there this summer.... been lots of times in summer but would love to go out one winter and go snowmobiling on the lakes...

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Just googled it. Here is the Wiki definition.

Graupel, also called soft hail or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm balls of rime. The term graupel comes from the German language. Wikipedia

Kind of covers all three descriptions! Hail being different as in frozen rain.

Yes as @CatchMyDrift says definitely graupel (as you say, also called soft hail and snow pellets). Living in Crail it was the most common type of frozen precipitation....I saw far more graupel than snow over an 11 year period. It’s particularly common downwind, and on the adjacent coast, of relatively warm water bodies during cold spells in winter. Totally different to hailstones which is largely a summer phenomenon. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Ok own up, who burst the bean bag?

Mr Graupel (see above) :D 

• Like 1

Posted

Super day for lifting neeps dry ground breezy and cold with a maximum of 2c.Thats us set up for the next 6 weeks of winter until the grass grows in May.

Odd flurries all day and currently clear and -3c

• Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, edo said:

@hawesy interesting you mentioned Toronto im off there this summer.... been lots of times in summer but would love to go out one winter and go snowmobiling on the lakes...

It’s funny because by Canadian standards Toronto is relatively mild and snowless (although it still has an average of 74 days of snow cover a year). Much as with London over here,  other Canadians ridicule Torontonians and their ability to cope with cold and snow (particularly after the army was called in to deal with the aftermath of several snow storms in 1999).

My favourite Toronto winter experience was in January 2005....a Saturday to remember....just walking about the streets of a major city felt like an Arctic expedition (though folk from Winnipeg wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow :D). Details below.....

90913725-8ACD-46DD-82B3-1390D72D4588.png

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 5

Posted
On 16/03/2018 at 19:36, shuggee said:

I'm not expecting anything other than maybe some flakes in the not insubstantial wind. Am I the only one completely playing this down in southern Scotland, or am I wilfully ignoring a Sunday dawn reality of 5 -10cm? :cc_confused: :unknw:

@Hawesy @CatchMyDrift @mardatha ???!!!

I've just looked at the radar. I was ignoring the reality. Clearly. :D

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Easterlies suck a bit if it's graupel...sorry for being fussy but I prefer my snowflakes unrolled.

March is certainly on course for being cold. I've done a quick calculation for my local Met-O station, the average max temp so far is 4.4C which is 4.3C below average. You'd expect the first half of the month to be colder than the monthly average but not by that much. To hit average overall for March we need max temps of 13.9C every day until the end of the month.

Yes I’m the same (re unrolled snowflakes). I’ve seen so much graupel in the last 13 years that I just take it as the ‘norm’ during cold spells, forgetting that for some other members it’s probably a novelty. 2010 was a graupel-fest in Crail! 

Leuchars coming in -2.6c below normal for March so far. Not quite Dec 2010 but impressive nonetheless!

Posted

meh... I'm still planning to drove from Edinburgh to Galashiels in the early morning... c'mon MetOffice, an Amber and I'll cancel the trip!

Live cameras from Traffic Scotland are proving useful!

Edited by pdiddy

Posted
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

IMG_20180317_221610-1392x1856.thumb.jpg.eaa5c0f430aad23ec5e1c9d01c03a053.jpg

Standard shot from the back door!

@101_North outside of the real heavyweights like @Northern Strath you must be near the top of the 2017-18 snowfall tally, compadre. You’ve done really well, from both west and east! :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Another heavy graupel/snow shower ongoing here, the dusting is slowly becoming a covering, mon the wee beastie fae the easty -0.2C / -5.6C :cold: 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

@101_North outside of the real heavyweights like @Northern Strath you must be near the top of the 2017-18 snowfall tally, compadre. You’ve done really well, from both west and east! :)

Maybe sir! Been a great winter to be honest. Snowfall has been very regular and I actually don't think there's been a snow 'event' that I haven't got at least a covering from. Maybe the depth on occasions hasn't matched others but what's really stood out for me is getting regular snow, even from the west - the most sheltered direction for here! Even got frontal snowfall on several occasions and that's been really rare for years here! Great stuff :D

• Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

lol, embra is getting creamed, carnage in town !

Nice! Total whiteout here again!

• Like 2

Posted

Whiteout here too. Not quite the epic from earlier on this beast but a nice (surely)! last final winter blast?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just getting my snow fix now... In slow motion, on MOTD :whistling:

We got a few flakes in the yard too. Yes, two. Lol. Pffft.

• Like 1

Posted

Ridiculous here. Like mid January.

Like I'm complaining :ninja::rofl:

• Like 3