Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Sunny and snowing at the rate of about 10 flakes a minute, occasionally a little heavier. 

Feels incredibly cold in the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Sunny and snowing at the rate of about 10 flakes a minute, occasionally a little heavier. 

Feels incredibly cold in the wind.

Same here but I would bet that our flakes are smaller than yours... :aggressive:

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Inner Moray Firth snowshield still fully functional this week. The snow god really has it in for us this month. 

Don" t worry there is always Easter for us!!

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely hammering down here at the minute and settling! Won't last long but fingers crossed for later!

• Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Absolutely hammering down here at the minute and settling! Won't last long but fingers crossed for later!

whats forecast for later 101?

Posted

Been fairly constant light snow today occasionally too had heavier snow showers not lying but still nice to see

Posted

Interestingly (to me at least) we’ve had actual snowflakes here today instead of the graupel which tends to be the norm if you live right on the coast. Many of the showers during the last easterly were of graupel so will be interesting to see what falls this evening (assuming the showers do get heavier, as forecast).

1c/-5c at Leuchars at 2pm on March 17th. Wind easterly 30mph, windchill -7c. I’d say that comes under the ‘notable’ category! :D

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Careful @101_North I think @More Snow has some of these phrases copyrighted. :D

Posted

Woke up to a covering of snow. Had two days there where it was limited to patches, the grass is exceptionally yellow, snow 17/18 has nuked the lawn. Forgetting what the blimin garden looks like without the stuff. Showers on and off all day

Greig Laidlaw I salute ye

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, JoeShmoe said:

whats forecast for later 101?

Realky hammering down again! Warning kicks in at 5pm and overnight. Case of waiting and nowcasting. Reckon if this was settling this afternoon we'd have a few cm by now but it's not settling so we don't :D

Posted

Actually, there have been long sunny intervals this afternoon - they didn't mitigate the wind-chill though -  with bonny clouds and the sprinkle of snow has melted. :closedeyes:

Looking east, a snow shower is looming. Looking and listening to the telly, that "Sweet Chariot" thing is really grating.

• Like 2

Posted

4pm temperatures are quite revealing. Broadly speaking 850s are much the same right down the east coast but 2m temperatures are generally colder the further south you go. North of the border mostly a degree or two above freezing but south of the border at freezing or below. Of course it’s all down to the longer sea track and the ameliorating effect of the North Sea. No wonder the easterly is THE holy grail for folks in the SE of England!

• Like 1

Posted

Showers starting to pep up, leaving a dusting in Broughty Ferry!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yes our best shower since this morning has just left the ground white again. 

• Like 2

Posted

4 flakes drift in the wind, sunshine, repeat. stained glass windowing cold though. -2 at 4pm. Will have to celebrate with our Irish friends with a bushmills or 4 to warm up ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Ok Catch. Is that snow pellets, soft hail, graupel or what? Last showers here were a mix of those pellets and proper snowflakes, perhaps because temperatures in the last couple of hours have fallen under freezing point at ground level?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

That last snow shower was nice, local street is snow-streaked by the wind and it looks like one or two more coming this way from the ENE.

• Like 1

Posted

That shower we just has settled instantly for the first time today

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

yep, white at last ? 

Here too. Nice dry stuff which is getting blown everywhere :santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I would say Graupel but I am happy to be corrected. The full scale beast two weeks ago had a lot of graupel in it, or Polystyrene Baws as my neighbour called it.

Just googled it. Here is the Wiki definition.

Graupel, also called soft hail or snow pellets, is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm balls of rime. The term graupel comes from the German language. Wikipedia

Kind of covers all three descriptions! Hail being different as in frozen rain.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted

A nice dusting of snow from the last shower. A nice day aswell with bright spring sunshine and snow flurries - very different from the easterly earlier this month and 2013. Not expecting anything like the Beast from the East which was one of the most memorable weather events I've experienced: -3C maximum, bitting wind chill, -16C uppers, red warning and heavy powdery snow with blizzard/whiteout conditions with the largest accumulations for at least 12 years can only be described as a phenomenon and to occur at the end of winter/start of Spring was incredibe with a surreal first few days of Spring with successive days of 20cm+ snow cover for the first time since 2010 despite the longer daylight hours and an ice day on March 1st. The grey sky, strong wind and rather quick thaw were the only disappointments in what was an incredible and unique event. I was skeptical of Scandi Highs and easterlies (particulary late in the season) but I've been won over and can see why they are seen as the Holy Grail.

To see the models so soon after the Beast show a renewed easterly blast was amusingly received with dismay and now we have a slightly lesser, but potent easterly. I'm not sure what quantifies 'Beast from the East' status but this is not far away with uppers between between -12C and -14C for many. We had a brief but potent easterly around the 12th March 2013 though I'm unaware of an airmass this cold in the second half of March. Given the last easterly was more potent and lowered SSTs further I have much less expectation for this event which I see as a bonus and perhaps a final taste of winter (as far as easterlies as concerned) though some models are showing the potential for further cold spells via northerly winds. Any snow cover after mid March is always a bonus (especially with easterlies) and even more so after a terrific winter with a very recent spectacular finale. Most of the shower activity will be further south which is nice to see though there could be some snow showers in cental belt overnight so there's the potential for a decent covering if there are frequent and some heavier showers during the night. Some charts show the potential for 5cm which I'd be very happy with after individual falls of more than 5cm in December, January and February (3cm on March 1st contributed to a total of 26cm)

• Like 7