Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 16/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

5487B343-65EA-4189-91A9-43D4CB092AD9.thumb.jpeg.22638f999f389e5607793e78fa8d2033.jpeg

Greetings fellow Scotlanders :)

Another fresh, sparkly thread for you to continue your discussions of the weather in this elegant land! The other thread became very big!

With another Beast bursting out of the cage from the East, it looks like the white stuff could return for some of you. ⛄️❄️

As I often say, please be good and no throwing any missiles anywhere should the weather not do what you want. Thank you! ?

PS - Also included a copy of MoreSnow’s post in here due to him being the first morning poster on the previous thread and to also help keep the chat going. He hee ?

D5ED2BAA-F7A0-4356-BFC6-EC941AEC418A.thumb.jpeg.552a9d6a9f6c972c02c0370dd50ae329.jpeg

Double PS - Previous thread: 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just cold rain here. Lots of surface water again. Strong ESE wind. 3.0C.

Posted

Dreich morning.

Strong gusty winds from SE with frequent showers of sleet/rain.  Temperature has actually risen from low of 1.4C at 06:40 to 2.3C now, time will tell if we get lying snow at this level.

Edited by Quinach

Posted

A quite unpleasant morning, with a chilling SE wind and drizzle. Temp 2C and I see sleet forecast for later in the day.

Plus I have a saer heid as a result of spending a few hours or so yesterday evening, listening to Brexiteer neighbours droning on  ( along with a couple of glasses of necessary wine). :shok:

Edited by ciel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Snowing and 1.6C. Just had a rummage through the last eight years of weather station data I've accumulated and this year so far (1st Jan to 16th Mar) is the coolest I've recorded - mean temp of just 2C. Only 2013 came close at 2.2C, and last year was a balmy 4C by this point.

• Like 6

Posted

And shock horror another northwards shift brings Scotland more into the mini beastie party. Nothing drastic but snow is snow 

Met office warning now updated and  more of the country shows in warning area. Only a yellow warning though ; booooo ; must try harder. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

still just raining here and thoroughly miserable but wpuld be later on tull it turned here 

a covering to cancel footy in the morning and enjoy one last weather induced lie in would be most welcome 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

@DiagonalRedLine

Somethings happened with the new thread buddy! Like a stuck record :rofl:

So it is! ? Wouldn’t surprise me if the same thing happened with future Scottish threads lol

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

Persistent rain, now, and foggy to boot.  My view of the hills is obscured but I think it may be snowing up there.

In any event I need to visit the shops. I wonder if the co-op has managed to restock its shelves yet. A few days ago an array of sweaty parsnips were lined up along the fresh meat counter. :shok:

• Like 1

Its a wild old day out there. struggled to get the wood shed door open. been to local shop and topped up supplies and all ready to have a fun day tomorrow of baking with the kids and maybe the odd pint of Guinness. :drinks:

Posted

Howling sleety snow showers over the Beef Tub earlier. Went shopping to the wee independent garden centre in Moffat for some planters. Not that I'll be outside much until Monday!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Temps down a degree from morning and now a touch of sleet in the rain. A bit heavier now and ESE wind strengthening again. 2.3C.

Posted

Vile afternoon.  Temperature dropped now to around 1C but no sign of snow or even sleet, just heavy rain blowing at 45 degree angle in the strong wind, just the right angle of attack to soak your face even with the jacket hood on :nonono:

Posted

Precipitation now changing over to mixture of heavy sleet/graupel, melting instantly upon touching the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snowing at Abernethy this morning  :yahoo:, now back home and it's (guess what) grey, 3C and very gusty :angry:

What a rubbish end to winter.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
37 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Snowing at Abernethy this morning  :yahoo:, now back home and it's (guess what) grey, 3C and very gusty :angry:

What a rubbish end to winter.

@Nick L -  'rubbish' doesn't quite convey the depth of feeling in my chosen descriptor. However I do understand that we're all delicate snowflakes reading this thread so quite understand the editing. :p

Posted
21 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'll judge how rubbish the end to winter is after this weekend. So far so cold and wet. Not a flake in sight but it's early yet.

Hopefully spring is decent when it arrives, parts of last spring were amazing down here. Warm, dry and sunny will do very nicely :)

Snow showers don’t look like getting going properly until late afternoon,,I reckon some places will get a nice surprise ??

looking forward to some warmth after this mini beast from the east ?

Posted

A cold, grey day which felt more January than March although it is slightly brighter at home than it was at work all day.

Doubt I'll see much more than a flurry over the weekend but I might be surprised. 

Not sure how anyone is meant to make sense of the Met Office warnings for tomorrow!

IMG_4333.thumb.PNG.2d4a0b4a06ab218e921050ff3c9e0a3d.PNG

Posted
4 hours ago, ciel said:

Persistent rain, now, and foggy to boot.  My view of the hills is obscured but I think it may be snowing up there.

In any event I need to visit the shops. I wonder if the co-op has managed to restock its shelves yet. A few days ago an array of sweaty parsnips were lined up along the fresh meat counter. :shok:

Actually, today, the parsnips were replaced by a few chickens and a plethora of pies and sausages (both round and square). I fancied in the circumstances, a haggis but there were no usable neeps - not even in the freezers - and the tattiess looked a bit weary.

I'm assuming there have been difficulties in supplying fresh produce to stores due to the brisk cold snap earlier this month....but really, is the co-op a failing business model?  :cc_confused: Whatever, I always shop there because it is my nearest provider.

Some of us don't have the luxury of shopping around.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Actually, today, the parsnips were replaced by a few chickens and a plethora of pies and sausages (both round and square). I fancied in the circumstances, a haggis but there were no usable neeps - not even in the freezers - and the tattiess looked a bit weary.

I'm assuming there have been difficulties in supplying fresh produce to stores due to the brisk cold snap earlier this month....but really, is the co-op a failing business model?  :cc_confused: Whatever, I always shop there because it is my nearest provider.

Some of us don't have the luxury of shopping around.

Our local Co-op is ok, and has recovered from the recent supply problems, although it took longer to do so than the big supermarkets in Inverness.  Compared to other local shops in the Highlands, Co-ops are usually a big step up from the rest. Their prices are unfortunately a step up from the Inverness supermarkets, and the majority of folk who have cars here don't use the Co-op. So the majority of the Co-op's customers are the elderly, kids on breaks from school, local folk who don't have cars and a few people like us who boycott big supermarkets because of what they've done to the supply chain in the UK in the last 30 years. I could go on...

• Like 3