Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2018 Q&A For Tornado Season

Paul Sherman

Posted

Well we fly out 8 weeks today to Set-Up for our 14th Stormchase Season out in Tornado Alley

This year will be the busiest yet with 7 Tours running and it all starts in Early May, there are a lot of newbies once again for the Upcoming Season so this will be a great thread for answering any questions you may have or any worries you might be wondering about.

Any question big or small then just ask away and myself or one of the team or indeed regular storm chasers who have been before will be on here to answer any nagging queries.

Also if any of the regulars have tip and tricks then please put them in this thread as well. This can be for things like what to take, electrical etc

Regards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

4 way extension lead. Means you only need one travel adaptor.

Bottle opener.

Mozzie spray.

Don't think that it's going to be shorts weather for the entire trip. Take a couple of pairs of jeans and a jumper!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Hail, Torrential Rain

Take a camera as you'll then relive the great memories you'll have. You don't really have to take an all sing, all dancing camera anymore as the pics and video you can get from a decent iPhone etc these day can be stunning. Plus you'll save massively on luggage space! Depends on how pro you want to get I suppose.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

SD Memory Cards / Micro SD Memory Cards. I prefer 8GB/16GB ones over the bigger memory cards  e.g. 64GB/128GB, as I worry about having all my photos on one single card, in case it got lost dropped. Alternatively, I bring a laptop, and offload photos to OneDrive each night or Dropbox, so they are saved somewhere safe. Extension bars are good, travel adapters, hayfever tablets too, Kansas can be hayfever central with all the grasslands! Breathable shorts are good for the hot days, but also something warmer as Nick says for cooler evenings after storms have rolled through. Also something comfortable for the flight, might go with tracky bottoms on this years flight, for a bit more comfort than jeans on the way across.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Jezza said:

Mozzie spray.

Lots of mozzie spray. 

With how ridiculously dry it's been out there for the last 6 months, mozzies might not be as prevalent as the last couple of years! 2015 was horrendous for mozzies with all the floods.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Floods you say ? 

Watch this space :D

It's a small step, still looking bone dry for the panhandles...for now!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

As long as it can be checked in on a plane within your normal baggage allowance you should be fine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
On 3/30/2018 at 19:59, Becca Start said:

What size holdall is recommended, what capacity? I've been looking at different size ones, one that holds 100L or will that be too big for the car?

i use a normal size suitcase, mainly to bring Paul all of his make-up but generally for the Camera equipment! a hard case one is worth the effort too.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

It will be well worth getting the RadarScope app and having a little play with it. It’s not satellite linked like I think the barons is, but still gives great data about the forming storms. 

Posted
12 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

It will be well worth getting the RadarScope app and having a little play with it. It’s not satellite linked like I think the barons is, but still gives great data about the forming storms. 

Google Play Store wouldn't let me download it, something about US only. Someone gave me a link for a free download though in the end. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Google Play Store wouldn't let me download it, something about US only. Someone gave me a link for a free download though in the end. 

iphone works a treat! ipad version is wicked too!

Posted
1 minute ago, Crashlanding said:

iphone works a treat! ipad version is wicked too!

Yes but that involves purchasing and using an iPhone. No thanks :D

Incidentally, it's now available to download on PC if you have Windows 10.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes but that involves purchasing and using an iPhone. No thanks :D

Incidentally, it's now available to download on PC if you have Windows 10.

where is this link? MUST HAVE!

FOUND IT https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/radarscope/9mw4stn492s0

Edited by Crashlanding
adding text

Posted

You'll be able to get it on the play store now too Nick after I nudged them about the US thing a while ago. That's right, you have ME to thank all you UK users and abusers :rofl:

Posted
41 minutes ago, Arron said:

You'll be able to get it on the play store now too Nick after I nudged them about the US thing a while ago. That's right, you have ME to thank all you UK users and abusers :rofl:

I already got it! Someone gave me a link for a free download, can't reveal who exactly but let's just say "hairdryer".

But thank you for your efforts :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
3 hours ago, Newbie85 said:

Anyone can send me links of a hard case suitcase that isn't too big for the cars?  

Worried mine maybe too big, or links of holdalls??

Cheers

I will take a medium size case alongside a hand luggage case. I haven’t decided whether to take my tripod or buy a cheap one out there. 

Here is a great beginners guide to supercells and what to look out for if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:30, chionomaniac said:

I will take a medium size case alongside a hand luggage case. I haven’t decided whether to take my tripod or buy a cheap one out there. 

Here is a great beginners guide to supercells and what to look out for if you are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time!

Regarding the tripod, I'd strongly advise against getting a cheap one there! I got one last time and it was the most useless tripod I've ever had and prevented me taking long exposures of lightning if there was the slightest breeze. Had to tape it up within a few days too as it was broken pretty much out of the box. There may be some better ones available somewhere like Best Buy but I'm planning on getting a decent (£40-50) travel tripod before I go this time.

• Like 2

Posted
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 00:09, Justin P said:

I’m bringing my iPhone gimble to take steady shots and a power bank so I can keep my phone charged while on the road. Gonna buy those mosquito bracelets you wear on your arm that will save you some dough on buying cans of spray! 

My concern with iPhone is I've only got 16GB space?

was going to buy go pro but it pretty expensive tbh 399.00 

Edited by Newbie85

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Personally, I always tend to use a DSLR camera, worth spending some money on a decent one with interchangeable lenses if photography is your thing. I used my phone for fast moving shots, say if you just get 30 seconds at a location before the storms catch up.

Agree with Mark, that a decent tripod for a digital camera is a must, think mine was £35, and it's pretty nice, my first one was $10 from Walmart in Fort Stockton, and it lasted a couple of years of light use, but fell apart during a massive lightning storm - gutted!

Also, make sure your good are covered by insurance, I now use Protect My Bubble and for sub £8 a month, my camera and lenses are protected - which includes damage while away from home and on holidays! Well worth the money!

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hello,

I'm staying at the Best Western Irving on the 7th. Where does the hotel shuttle bus pick up from at DFW and do I need to call the hotel to arrange a pick up? Or does it run on a half hour schedule, or similar?

Cheers

John