Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The moon and weather

Bob G

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extremes

Hi,

I hope this is posted in the right place :) Over the last few years I have noticed that the weather seems to change with the phases of the moon. The biggest changes are around the new moon and full moon. For example:

31 Jan 2018 - Full moon, the next two weeks were chilly but nothing special. There was the SSW on the 11th.

15 Feb 2018 - New moon, the next two weeks saw temperatures drop as the Beast from the East arrived.

02 Mar 2018 - Full moon, as quickly as the beast arrived it left and the following two weeks have been warmer and damp.

17 Mar 2018 - New moon, temperatures are looking set to drop and more snow for some/all as the BFTE II arrives.

I have also noticed this during summer when the general trend has changed with the new/full moon. It is not exactly on the full/new date, it can vary a day or two either way.

Has anyone else noticed this and can anyone explain it? I have tried Googling it and all I can find is that the weather is affected by the moon but not much else.

Any answers/ideas welcome - surely it's not just me/my imagination :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Back in 2016 I plotted the dates of the full Moons on top of the daily CET data. Not all, but quite a few of the full Moons that year seemed to coincide with temperature spikes (especially the two exceptional Spanish plumes in July and September). It's certainly interesting, but it would be foolish to draw conclusions from such a small sample size. I haven't looked at 2017 or any other year for that matter, but when things free up a bit for me I fancy doing some analysis over the entire CET dataset to see if I can find anything meaningful.

FullMoonCET.PNG

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The moon strongly affects tides which is well documented but the weather is much more complicated to say.Am sure it does have a very small affect which are possibly due to gravitational pulls but also may be to do with reflecting sunlight on the earth at night .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extremes
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:31, Relativistic said:

Back in 2016 I plotted the dates of the full Moons on top of the daily CET data. Not all, but quite a few of the full Moons that year seemed to coincide with temperature spikes (especially the two exceptional Spanish plumes in July and September). It's certainly interesting, but it would be foolish to draw conclusions from such a small sample size. I haven't looked at 2017 or any other year for that matter, but when things free up a bit for me I fancy doing some analysis over the entire CET dataset to see if I can find anything meaningful.

I've got the full moon dates for the last century, I'll pull the CET figures and post back when I have the results.

• Like 1