Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
TomSE12

Cheltenham Tipping Competition

Morning all,

Well the Cheltenham Festival, is almost upon us. I worked in the Bookmaking Industry, for around 28 years. No other meeting gave me the "buzz", that Cheltenham week did. The last 12 years of my career were spent with spent with Sunderland Bookmakers, in their Credit Office, in Croydon. I ran various fantasy, tipping competitions on many different sports.

Racing ( Cheltenham, Liverpool ( Grand National meeting ), Epsom Derby, Royal Ascot, Glorious Goodwood, even Longchamp's, Arc de Triomphe meeting and Breeder's Cup meetings, in the US.

Football: UEFA Champions League, European  Int. Ch'ships and World Cups.

Golf: The 4 major championships plus the unofficial 5th major ( the TPC at Sawgrass )

And some cricket tournaments.

Would like to recreate the Cheltenham Tipping Competition here, for members here. It's simple to enter. Just select one horse, in each of the 7 races, on each day, Tues 13th March to Fri 16th March ( Inc,) A few simple rules below:

1. You will be placed a "virtual" £1 each way, on each selection, at the horses, returned starting price. Your stakes will be returned, in your "virtual"  winnings. E.g A 10/1 winner will give you a profit of £14.50, £11 for the win and £3.50, for the place part. A 20/1 winner, will give you a "virtual" win of £27, £21 for the win and £6, for the place part. A 16/1, placed horse, will give you £5, etc,  etc.

2. Losing stakes will NOT be deducted, from your total. Your "virtual" profit, will accumulate, throughout the week.

3. Place terms will be as follows: 4 or less runners (All up to win), never known such a small field to occur, at the Festival. 5,6,7 runners 1/4 the odds, 1st and 2nd. Races with 8 or more runners, 1/4 the odds 1st,2nd,3rd. Handicaps of 16 to 21 runners, 1/4 odds 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. Handicaps of 22 or more runners, 5th place will also be paid, 

4. Any dead-heat occurring, will NOT, result in your stakes, being split!! ( Can't remember the last dead-heat, at the Cheltenham Festival.)

5. Rule 4 deductions of less than 15p in the £, will NOT be enforced.

6. You must post up your selections by 1 pm, on a daily basis. You DON'T have to give all your selections, for the whole meeting, by 1 pm on Tues. 13th. 

If you can "settle" ( calculate ), your own selections bets, that would be a big help. But I will be keeping my own record of your selections and will post up the current standings, at the end of each days racing.  Obviously, there will not be any prize money, if you win, you'll have the honour of being Net Weather Cheltenham Tipping Champion!! Surely, that's enough. Obviously, your entry will cost you nothing, either. Just a bit of form studying time!! I'm going to try and get my son and daughter to enter, as well. They both worked with me for, Sunderland's.

Really do hope I manage to generate, a bit of interest!!

Hope you all enjoy, Mother's Day.

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Afternoon all,

As the Cheltenham Festival starts tomorrow, going to post this up again. This time hoping to attract, more interest. It really is good fun. And as ITV are televising, the first 5 races on all 4 days of the meeting, you'll be able to see how the majority of your selections perform. I ran this competition, from 2005 to 2015 and we had great fun with it, at the Bookmakers Credit Office, I worked in. There's no entry fee but obviously, no prize money, either. It's just a good "craic". 

I worked in the Bookmaking Industry, for around 28 years. No other meeting gave me the "buzz", that Cheltenham week did. The last 12 years of my career were spent with spent with Sunderland Bookmakers, in their Credit Office, in Croydon. I ran various fantasy, tipping competitions on many different sports.

Racing ( Cheltenham, Liverpool ( Grand National meeting ), Epsom Derby, Royal Ascot, Glorious Goodwood, even Longchamp's, Arc de Triomphe meeting and Breeder's Cup meetings, in the US.

Football: UEFA Champions League, European  Int. Ch'ships and World Cups.

Golf: The 4 major championships plus the unofficial 5th major ( the TPC at Sawgrass )

And some cricket tournaments.

Would like to recreate the Cheltenham Tipping Competition here, for members here. It's simple to enter. Just select one horse, in each of the 7 races, on each day, Tues 13th March to Fri 16th March ( Inc,) A few simple rules below:

1. You will be placed a "virtual" £1 each way, on each selection, at the horses, returned starting price. Your stakes will be returned, in your "virtual"  winnings. E.g A 10/1 winner will give you a profit of £14.50, £11 for the win and £3.50, for the place part. A 20/1 winner, will give you a "virtual" win of £27, £21 for the win and £6, for the place part. A 16/1, placed horse, will give you £5, etc,  etc.

2. Losing stakes will NOT be deducted, from your total. Your "virtual" profit, will accumulate, throughout the week.

3. Place terms will be as follows: 4 or less runners (All up to win), never known such a small field to occur, at the Festival. 5,6,7 runners 1/4 the odds, 1st and 2nd. Races with 8 or more runners, 1/4 the odds 1st,2nd,3rd. Handicaps of 16 to 21 runners, 1/4 odds 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. Handicaps of 22 or more runners, 5th place will also be paid, 

4. Any dead-heat occurring, will NOT, result in your stakes, being split!! ( Can't remember the last dead-heat, at the Cheltenham Festival.)

6. Should you select a non-runner and not have time to change your horse, you will be placed on the SP returned favourite, in that race. Should there be joint or co-favourites, in that particular race, your selection will be the joint or co-favourite, with the lowest racecard number.

7.You must post up your selections by 1 pm, on a daily basis. You DON'T have to give all your selections, for the whole meeting, by 1 pm on Tues. 13th. 

If you can "settle" ( calculate ), your own selections bets, that would be a big help. But I will be keeping my own record of your selections and will post up the current standings, at the end of each days racing.  Obviously, there will not be any prize money, if you win, you'll have the honour of being Net Weather Cheltenham Tipping Champion!! Surely, that's enough. Obviously, your entry will cost you nothing, either. Just a bit of form studying time!! I'm going to try and get my son and daughter to enter, as well. They both worked with me for, Sunderland's.

Really do hope I manage to generate, a bit of interest!!

Regards,

If you'd like to enter the tipping competition and don't know where to find the racecards, see below.

If you take a daily newspaper, you find will the Cheltenham racecard, at the back of the paper, in the sports section. You can find all tomorrows races, on the Racing Post link, below.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2018-03-13

Regards,

Tom.

Tuesday

1:30 Getabird

2:10 Footpad

2:50 Shantou Flyer

3:30 Buveur D'Air

4:10 Bennie Des Dieux

4:50 No Comment

5:30 Ballyhill

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mattneal said:

Tuesday

1:30 Getabird

2:10 Footpad

2:50 Shantou Flyer

3:30 Buveur D'Air

4:10 Bennie Des Dieux

4:50 No Comment

5:30 Ballyhill

Thank you Matt, that's brilliant!! Nice to get it up and running. Just heard from my son and daughter, who are going to enter, as well. We all used to work together, in Sunderland's Credit Office, in Croydon. Don't worry, there won't be any skulduggery, their selections will be in by 1 pm, on each of the 4 days, of the meeting. Do you understand the rules? I think they're pretty straightforward. When my daughter joined Sunderlands, she hardly knew anything about betting but understood the rules of the competition, very quickly. During the last 5 years or so, Hayley helped me run the competition, in the Office, by collating everyone's selections and entering them on a chart, so that the whole office, could follow everybody's selections. I can tell you now, Hayley will be picking a lot of Gigginstown House Stud horses. She's had a lot of success following their horses and invested a relatively large amount, so great are their numbers. When Hayley first joined Sunderlands, one of her first big wins, was when she had a £5 E,W. on Hardy Eustace @ 33/1, when it won the Champion Hurdle, in 2004.

Ok Matt, will go and write your selections up, now, Thanks again!!

Btw, fortunately I still remember how to settle ( calculate bets ), after my haemorrhagic stroke, 2 years ago but I will get an independent check, on my settling, as well.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Cheltenham - Tuesday

1:30 - Getabird

2:10 - Footpad

2:50 - Gold Present

3:30 - Buveur D'Air

4:10 - Apple's Jade

4:50 - Ms Parfois

5:30 - Testify

• Like 1

Will post mine later this eve Tom. Going is heavy at Cheltenham; first time in 25 years or so i believe. There will be a lot of upsets this week i reck - ground will be a massive leveller.

Laters.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Cheltenham - Tuesday

1:30 - Getabird

2:10 - Footpad

2:50 - Gold Present

3:30 - Buveur D'Air

4:10 - Apple's Jade

4:50 - Ms Parfois

5:30 - Testify

Thank you KW, that's brilliant. Will go and enter your selections up now. Also.is there anything you need clearing up, about the rules? In all the years of running it, I never won it. My daughter, Hayley, won it once, as did my son, Antony.

I did win a Champions League Fantasy competition once though and a nice 1st prize of £500.

Regards,

Tom.

Just received my son, Antony's selections. AntonyBR7.

Cheltenham - Tuesday.

1.30 - Summerville Boy.

2.10 - Petit Mouchoir.

2.50 - Shantou Flyer.

3.30 - My Tent Or Yours.

4.10 - Indian Stream.

4.50 - Sizing Tennessee.

5.30 - Mister Whitaker.

Tom.

Just an additional couple of rules.

When "settling" selections, I "round-up", to the nearest pence, 

In the unlikely event of a tie ( never had one, in all the years I've been running it! ), in the competition, the winner shall be the entrant that's picked most winners, if still a tie, the entrant  with most 2nds, then most 3rds, etc, etc. But I'm sure it won't come to that. It's not important anyway, it's not as if, there's any prize money, riding on it. In most Cheltenham competitions we had in the region of £200, split between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

In a couple of seasons, in the Champions League competition, we had somewhere in the region of between £700 to £800, in total prize money.  I had to have pretty bullet proof rules and regulations, during the competition, to avoid bickering and arguments.

Regards,

Tom.

Here you go Tom.

Cheltenham Tuesday

1.30  First Flow

2.10 Saint Calvados

2.50  Yala Enki

3.30  My Tent or Yours

4.10  Apple's Jade

4.50  Rathvinden

5.30  Barney Dwan

Best of luck to all in this competition and for four days full-on betting:D

• Like 1

Thanks Bb, 

About to post another 3 entries. They're trickling in, gradually.

Regards,

Tom.

Right, 3 more entries. First my daughter, Hayley BR7.

Cheltenham-Tuesday.

1.30 - Summerville Boy.

2.10 - Petit Mouchoir.

2.50 - Minella Daddy.

3.30 - Ch'tibello.

4.10 - Apples Jade.

4.50 - Mossback.

5.30 - De Plotting Shed.

Now, my daughter's boyfriend. Paul BR7

Cheltenham - Tuesday.

1.30 - First Flow.

2.10 - Petit Mouchoir.

2.50 - Gold Present.

3.30 - Wicklow Brave.

4.10 - Apples Jade.

4.50 - Jury Duty.

5.30 - Barney Dwan.

Tom.

Now my entry. TomSE12. Now, I've not won diddly squat, in the Cheltenham competition!! And you're all thinking, no wonder, looking at those selections. :D

Cheltenham - Tuesday.

1.30 - Summerville Boy.

2.10 - Footpad.

2.50 - Ramses de Teillee.

3.30 - Wicklow Brave.

4.10 - Jer's Girl.

4.50 - Jury Duty.

5.30 - De Plotting Shed.

That's now 7 entries in. Going to the S.E.thread now, to see if I can get some more entries.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted (edited)

i choose getabird for obvious reasons.

brainpower

cassetete

buveur dair

la bague au roi

duel at dawn

testify

Edited by JennyJane1

8 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

i choose getabird for obvious reasons.

brainpower

cassetete

buveur dair

la bague au roi

duel at dawn

testify

Thank you JennyJane, I'll go and enter them now, into my folder.

Regards,

Tom.

Right that's 8 entries we have, not bad considering we had none, earlier on today. There's still time, to get a few more in.

I've entered them all up and they are sitting there, waiting to be settled. Off to bed now, bit fatigued. Will speak to you all, in the morning.

Regards, 

Tom.

• Like 1

Morning all,

Cheltenham fans. Well the big day, has arrived, For anyone still contemplating entering the competition, see below, for the entry rules. They are pretty straightforward, to follow, eight of us have already managed it. You have until 1 pm, to get your first day entries in. I'll be going out, in a while but will check the thread for any late entries, around lunchtime, ready for the "off", at 1.30.

And please, no smart a..e, late entries. I've found running these competitions, over a number years ,to be a logistical nightmare for making sure everyone's entry is in on time and collating all the entries and making sure, no entrant is "up to mischief". But unlike the fantasy competition's, I used to run at work, there's no prize money involved, so don't expect any skulduggery!!

And as Peter Snow, in his "Swingometer" days, often remarked, "It's just a bit of fun. Just a bit of fun".

It's simple to enter. Just select one horse, in each of the 7 races, on each day, Tues 13th March to Fri 16th March ( Inc,) A few simple rules below:

6. Should you select a non-runner and not have time to change your horse, you will be placed on the SP returned favourite, in that race. Should there be joint or co-favourites, in that particular race, your selection will be the joint or co-favourite, with the lowest racecard number.

7.You must post up your selections by 1 pm, on a daily basis. You DON'T have to give all your selections, for the whole meeting, by 1 pm on Tues. 13th. 

If you can "settle" ( calculate ), your own selections bets, that would be a big help. But I will be keeping my own record of your selections and will post up the current standings, at the end of each days racing.  Obviously, there will not be any prize money, if you win, you'll have the honour of being Net Weather Cheltenham Tipping Champion!! Surely, that's enough. Obviously, your entry will cost you nothing, either. Just a bit of form studying time!

On the subject of Prize Money. How about awarding a "token" trophy, to the winner?

How about a Steve Murr - chocolate-teapot1.jpg

Or an Ian Brown WTF box of " Close but no cigars". From his Global Warming and no more , northern blocking days!!

Btw, much thanks to Anyweather, for the loan of his " Chocolate Teapot".

Many thanks to all those entrants who got their entries in early, with no fuss!

Will be back on, just before "The Off"

Regards,

Didn't go out after all and watched, "The Morning Line" instead.  They announced that "My Tent or Yours, is a non-runner. So , my son, Antony and Bristle Boy, have time, before 1 pm, to substitute another runner, in that race. If they don't choose another horse before 1. they will automatically be placed on the SP, favourite. See Rule 6.

I think it's sensible to have that rule in place, as it can be very difficult to contact an entrant, once racing starts. So any non-runners declared after 1 pm, Rule 6 will be applied. It was especially important, when I ran theses competitions, at work, with prize money at stake. It's a fair rule, for everyone.

Will be back on later.

Regards,

Hi Tom

To replace MTOY in the 3.30 i choose

Ch'tibello

Regards

• Like 1

My son Antony (BR7), now subs Elgin, for My Tent or Yours ( N/R). 3.30 Chelt.

Regards,

Tom.

4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Hi Tom

To replace MTOY in the 3.30 i choose

Ch'tibello

Regards

Thanks Bb,

Antony has chosen Elgin, for MTOY.

Regards,

Tom.

Afternoon all,

The entry dead-line has now passed and I will post everyone's selections, on one post, so you can follow their progress and even "settle" them, if you want.

Regards,

Tom.

Sorry, just tried to post everybody's selections but wiped the lot. Doh!

Anyway, you can see all the entries, throughout the thread. Can't believe, I've started with a winner, my son and daughter, too.

If you are keeping a record and "settling" the returns, remember to include the stake, as well, in the returns. Do not deduct £2 losing stakes, from entrants. If an entrant has 7 unplaced selections, they end the day on zero, NOT  minus £14.

Summerville Boy returns - £13.25  ( £9 + £1 stake + £2.25 place + £1 stake = £13.25 )

Regards,.

Tom.