Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Clouds to the left of me, clouds to the right.....oh how I wish they would get their act together and produce some meaningful rain........

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

Is that a real echo near Lichfield on the radar? I am not losing this rainless streak to that crap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Is that a real echo near Lichfield on the radar? I am not losing this rainless streak to that crap.

Yes, few big drops here, chacked  it doon for 2-3 minutes

Posted

some little cells popping up all over the central midlands tonight, we might get a sprinkling?

rainfall.png

• Like 1

Posted

Seems to have missed me, the streak lives another day. Very surprising though, we are in the middle of a high pressure and the rain does not appear to be convective. Not forecast by anyone either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Guess I wasn’t the only one who noticed some fairly significant convection about.

Amazing really, don’t think it was forecasted. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Bedroom temp on my Oregon clock is currently 26 degrees C. It's not perfect but it's not been too bad over the years.

There appeared to be some precipitation just to the north and east of us earlier this evening. Nothing here but the humidity has been climbing all day. Bedroom reading was 29.9 degrees C at 5pm. Hottest I have seen it since moving here.

We have had no breeze today. Bishop is right, sleeping has been possible with cooler nightimes which suit me. I hope this doesn't go on all summer without some respite. 

Posted

Well last night was uncomfortable, low of 15C eventually but was 19C at midnigt. Two more to come tonight and sunday night.

Posted

Another day, another scorcher. The temperature has already passed 25°C here and we're still an hour away from midday.

I have to say, even though I'm enjoying all this sunshine and warmth, I'm really looking forward to the fresher interlude next week. I just wish we'd see a bit of rainfall as well.

Bish

Posted
44 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

me too bishop, but not any rain, that can stay away

No, we need at least one or two big downpours soon just to keep everything green & healthy. Our local council have been felling a lot of old trees recently, and the much younger replacements they planted are really starting to visibly wilt now. At this rate some of them aren't going to last much longer.

Preferably, any rain which does eventually appear will be of the overnight variety :good:

Bish

Posted
50 minutes ago, Bishop Brennan said:

No, we need at least one or two big downpours soon just to keep everything green & healthy. Our local council have been felling a lot of old trees recently, and the much younger replacements they planted are really starting to visibly wilt now. At this rate some of them aren't going to last much longer.

Preferably, any rain which does eventually appear will be of the overnight variety :good:

Bish

I get tempted to feel the same but then I remember, if this were to continue until mid-end of August, this would be a once in a lifetime summer. Our normal summer weather is pretty much perfect for optimal growth 9 out of 10 times anyway, just one summer with a couple of months of no rain is no big deal. Rain can stay away until September please.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sweatyman said:

Bloomin cloud

Annoying isn’t it! Still I’ll be indoors 3-5! ??????? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
2 hours ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Bish

I totally agree. My OH is a Horticultural Therapist and has worked in horticulture for over 30 years. He feels we need rain soon.

I am finding the heat bad enough that I am falling asleep all the time. 

Bit of a breeze today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Cloud has really bubbled up this afternoon but very warm in sunny spells.

Posted

Very warm is an understatement lol!

And my Accuweather app says 2 degrees C higher tomorrow!

On the plus side it's currently over 28 degrees in Charlwood where I used to live. I do not miss that.

And England are through to the semis.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday brought to an end a spell of  13 consecutive days each recording at least 75% of the possible amount of sunshine at this site. It's the longest spell of consecutive sunny days since 1976 which recorded 15 from June 24th-July 8th. The current spell came very close to breaking the 1976 record as only a lot of high cloud on Saturday June 23rd prevented it being a 16 day spell.

The total sunshine recorded during the spell just ended  was 177.9 hrs which is about 92% of the amount possible at this site at this time of year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Terminal Moraine said:

Yesterday brought to an end a spell of  13 consecutive days each recording at least 75% of the possible amount of sunshine at this site. It's the longest spell of consecutive sunny days since 1976 which recorded 15 from June 24th-July 8th. The current spell came very close to breaking the 1976 record as only a lot of high cloud on Saturday June 23rd prevented it being a 16 day spell.

The total sunshine recorded during the spell just ended  was 177.9 hrs which is about 92% of the amount possible at this site at this time of year.

Fascinating stuff, TM. The longevity of this period of fine weather has been quite extraordinary, as demonstrated by the numbers you reported.

It's just reached 28.6°C here, I suspect there's a good chance that this will end up being the hottest day of the period (and quite possible of the entire summer).

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
4 hours ago, Bishop Brennan said:

Fascinating stuff, TM. The longevity of this period of fine weather has been quite extraordinary, as demonstrated by the numbers you reported.

It's just reached 28.6°C here, I suspect there's a good chance that this will end up being the hottest day of the period (and quite possible of the entire summer).

Bish

Thanks Bish. Just waiting now to see if the current absolute drought can rival the longest on record and whether or not the current warm spell can do the same.

If it doesn't rain today ( rain seems very unlikely ) it'll be the 20th day with no measurable rain. The longest droughts in summer at this site are 20 days from June 10th-29th 1992;22 days from June 18th-July 9th 1995; 21 days from July 22nd to August 11th 1995 and, longest of all, but at a nearby site, 26 days from August 2nd-27th 1976.

With regard to warm spells ( defined as 7 consecutive days with a maximum of at least 21.0c but one day in every 7 can have a max' of 19.0-20.9c) The longest at this site are 18 days from August 6th-23rd 1997; 16 days from July 22nd-August 6th 1995 and 16 days from July 15th-30th 2006. At my nearby site, with temperatures adjusted for the difference in altitude, 1976 managed 23 days from June 21st-July 13th and 21 days from August 6th-26th.  The current spell is on 15 days counting today so a way to go yet to rival the longest. 

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 1

Posted

We just reached 31.6°C here, the hottest max of the summer so far and with enough time for it to climb a bit higher. Thank goodness a noticeable breeze has returned today!

Bish

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Just touching 27.8c here now with long sunny spells. The meadows round here are bone dry with brown tinge to everything, 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Absolutely sweating. Cooking bloomin dinner adding to the heat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

never known it so hot off a northerly breeze! imagine if we got a continental southerly

cooler tuesday thank heavens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Still 28 deg C, almost clear skies, ridiculous temp for a northerly at 6pm, unless somewhere in the southern hemisphere.