Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Brief sleet shower just now. 5-10 min duration. Moving SE by the looks of it.

Posted

I cant believe there is talk of snow over the Easter weekend. Actually i can believe it and probably predicted it. I am thinking if going from Worcs up to Manchester on the Saturday.  That wont happen if snow is probably going to happen.  

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely morning out today with hardly any wind and crystal clear skys, A sharp frost overnight with temp currently -1.3c.

Posted

Cold, sunny, frosty. -2'C. The last few patches of snow hanging on in the shade. Looks like a cold Easter may be on the cards.

F87473E4-94CB-41DE-95AF-2D9F1FB5C1A6.jpeg

08825682-8CC9-4735-AE59-D7D3BF887B61.jpeg

FA184E61-2B3E-4395-8BF0-7B2E39DF95FF.jpeg

190D2EF7-C3E4-41BB-A58D-1E795C3F7EE5.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Lovely morning.

Now at -1.0C in the shade after a low of -3.9C. 

Snow has disappeared now from the garden, but the deeper drifts still remin in the countryside.

Finished off the latest spell at 23 / 29 for the snow data. Over 50cms recorded now for the winter (total).

A truly memorable year.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Been a pretty good year for snow I have to say! To get two potent Easterlies in March with 850 hPa temperatures below -10*C is decent. 

Just the odd isolated snow patch here too, but only where it has pilled into drifts. Otherwise 99% snow free.

Would love this sunny, bright weather to last the whole day (though it looks like it could go downhill later on ?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

These lighter mornings and evenings are nice all we need now is more sun and some warmth. Winter can wait until November now imo 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, markw2680 said:

These lighter mornings and evenings are nice all we need now is more sun and some warmth. Winter can wait until November now imo 

but sadly getting darker again after Sunday on a morning

Posted

I'm happy with cold or real warmth when we get to this point. Anything other than luke warm and dreary.

Could be a decent shot at a white Easter up here. I'll be down in London seeing my family though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Lots of snow drifts remaining around here. The bigger ones look like hanging on until the next round of cold weather arrives in about a week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

A friend sent me these two photos from Lapworth (south of Solihul) Monday just gone.

IMG-20180321-WA0002.thumb.jpg.1023c70991a4ab98f90ccdf06e9b3f92.jpgIMG-20180321-WA0001.thumb.jpg.c94435523ca0ef96b5ced41ce8f26662.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Double drifts left still the late feb one now showing up again.

Snowcover 2 days again.

mapa_duza.png

Still good drifts here as well. Amazing isn't it how they've almost replicated the drifts (in the same places) from the last Beast From The East - such similar events

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cov87 said:

What is it showing exactly??

ECM0-168_deo2.GIF  

Snow accumulation Wednesday

1.png

Snow accumulation Friday

2.png

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM0-168_deo2.GIF  

Snow accumulation Wednesday

1.png

Snow accumulation Friday

2.png

Wow if that came off the midlands would be buried

Posted

Precipitation type for Tuesday night and Friday, with blue being snow.

3.png

4.png

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
3 hours ago, Higher Ground said:

Still good drifts here as well. Amazing isn't it how they've almost replicated the drifts (in the same places) from the last Beast From The East - such similar events

Yes indeed,the older snow is much more dirty now,can certainly spot the difference.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes indeed,the older snow is much more dirty now,can certainly spot the difference.

Even the biggest drifts didn't quite make it until the second Beast From The East here - though it was a close call, just a couple of days. But then again you had the Pest From The West to help tide you over, from what I remember...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Precipitation type for Tuesday night and Friday, with blue being snow.

3.png

4.png

It certainly is looking good again. This time it will be caused more by discreet troughing than convection.

What is interesting though is  the progression of the models.

Beasts 1 and 2 started with GFS picking it up in long range (greater than 10days ) and after running with it for a couple more days, suddenly started to 'wander'.

ECM then seemed to pick up the baton for a couple of days around days 7-9. Before it too started wandering, more or less as the GFS came back on board.

The MO were on board, at 6 days, as soon as it came into view. 

The other models were fluttering in and out with their evolutions.

The only exception was the IKON, which picked up the HP and ran pretty well all the way through with it.

Now this time the driving is not being determined by HP, it appears to be trough related.

The troughs look like forcing heights to the North. It is a different situation.

So far things have gone along the same track, with the 2 main models.       IKON has not been as steadfast.

What will the outcome be? Will the MO jump on board in the next 24 hours?

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Well it looks like my worries concerning April are been realised if the models are anything to go by. That is the fact I'll be away in Cyprus for a week from the 6th to 13th and it looks as though I could miss out on a epic cold spell for the time of year :cray:. I've got to go though as it's for my sister's wedding. Hopefully I still get to experience some of it before I go but been honest I was hoping that there would be one last hurrah at the end of March then a big warm up just before I go so as I wouldn't miss out on anything at home. Maybe it will still be cold when I get back but it will be about mid April by then so the chances of it been anything worthwhile will be less likely I'd imagine. Next week and into Easter still looks promising though so I'll just have to hope that period delivers still. Then again we're talking well into FI territory for the period I'm on about so who knows really. Sorry if this comes across as selfish it's just a bit frustrating that I won't be here and in a warm climate instead and if it is to be, good luck to all of you who'll be in the region and country to enjoy it. As I say I'll just have to hope for the best beforehand and also hope that next Winter delivers too. Not that its been bad at all mind so far this Winter/Spring as I've already had the early December snowy spell as well as 2 so far in late February/early March as well as last weekend, with still every chance late March/early April could also deliver before I go. I guess I'm just greedy about cold and snowy weather and I don't like the idea of missing out on any especially if it's in my back yard.  But that's what living somewhere where these synoptic have been rare for a while does to you, if you really like them as I do. Sorry to ramble just wish I could look forward to the potential properly without worrying if I'll even be at home to enjoy it.

Posted

Complaining about being in the warm sunshine in another country rather than being in wet and freezing conditions here.

Can we swap the weather round for next weekend then

Posted
2 hours ago, mr benn said:

Complaining about being in the warm sunshine in another country rather than being in wet and freezing conditions here.

Can we swap the weather round for next weekend then

Lol:D, it's not wet conditions (if by that you mean cold rain or sleet) I'm worried about missing out on, but a big dumping of snow. If it was to just be cold and wet I wouldn't care to miss out on it. I like warm and sunny weather too but it was the amazingly rare synoptics that last night's 18z was advertising for well into April that I was concerned of missing out on. That seems a bit less clear this morning it seems, although still quite possible. Until the last few weeks I didn't even think such was very probable and that Spring would have become properly established by then and I'm sure many of us would have been more than satisfied with what we had in December and late February/early March and even mid to late March with last weekend as another bonus. It's just that we very rarely get weather like we've been having so late into the season and I wanted to experience all of it before the road to Summer is well and truly here. Of course these synoptics a month or two earlier would have been preferable but I'll take wintry conditions whenever I can get them, especially after the 4 mild and practically snowless Winters we've endured before this one. I'm just hoping that this Winter/Spring is just a taster for next Winter and the next few beyond and that we can get an epic cold and snowy spell in the heart of Winter again soon. Of course you're right I should just look forward to what will hopefully be some warm and sunny weather on holiday and not be concerned about what the weather will be like here whilst I'm away as I'm going regardless so I might as well enjoy it. But I'm  just another mad cold and snow loving netweather member I guess and don't like the idea of missing out on the potential for any of my favourite weather :D.

• Like 1