Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
50 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Just been out, maybe 4" was overestimating the fall here, nearer to 9 or 10 cm's,

You know 10cm IS 4" ? 

:)

2.5cm = 1"
5cm = 2"
10cm = 4" 

It's all a bit guesstimate with this drifting snow, though - and in my case my 4" guesstimate is even more of a guess because I'm not leaving this nice cosy bed but guessing from a top-floor window! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I’m suprised by reports of a thaw certainly no thaw here, it’s just like a desert all the powder blowing around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, mildmuck said:

Sadly temperatures are rising here, probably end up around 1/2c this afternoon I reacon.  

A quick glace at radar this morning suggests to me that snow showers are in store for us late afternoon.  Also models have a feature that darts across Southern counties later on. The northern extent of that appears to just about touching distance of Birmingham ? :)

ARPEGE.jpg

Hirlam.jpg

GFS.jpg

radar.jpg

Yes!....coming into play on the radar and just starting to cross the channel, may lead to now't but yes one to keep an eye on :good:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
14 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

I’m suprised by reports of a thaw certainly no thaw here, it’s just like a desert all the powder blowing around

We've got the powder blowing in great waves, the height of the lamp-posts, but we also have what's on the ground starting to break up on the tarmac, doing a very odd "crazing" effect of breaking up into little islands, whilst what's on grass and paths remains a thick layer. 

ETA: the car park one is interesting as the far side is not breaking up - and that is in total shadow all day at this time of year. Where it's breaking up into little islets gets tons of sun when there is any. So I agree with others, this is retained warmth from the last ten days or so.

These two pics are taken from the same window - I should have overlapped something but the right-angle corner of fence bottom-right in the car-park one is about eight foot to the left of the top-left corner of the other one! 

5aae5f9228163_thaw17.3.thumb.JPG.0dff60a8eb4b6066bdf557f1ed864189.JPG5aae5fa885c82_snow17.3.thumb.JPG.69ab479065cfb752e8eb0529927302b0.JPG

Edited by BleakMidwinter

Posted

A lot of melt on roads and pavements. Little if any melt on other surfaces. Pretty and also useful for people to get about but they still moan and whine about it, of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Temp is currently at -0.8C here, so melt is down to the recent warmth on areas exposed to the sun.

Posted

Just been for a walk around the country footpaths by here and just like last time there are some impressive drifts in this one part, which were up to the top of my leg. They look amazing with their wavy and ice shelf like appearance. Had never seen drifts like that near here until a couple of weeks back and to think that we've got the same again in such a short space of time is quite something. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like that round there in March 2013, but never ventured round there at the time so can't confirm.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Does anyone hve yesterday's radar loop please?

Try this, https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/radar2.php?archive=1&region=uk&mode=1&jour=18&mois=3&annee=2018&heure=0&mode=1&sub=OK

It's all in this area of the meteociel main home page

image.thumb.png.0bb2a86faa1c0c5085e9abf6d82bb018.png

Set your time and date, then click on ( animer) Just above 00:00

s1803172015_uk.png

HOPE THIS HELPS :good:

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, WalsallWeather123 said:

What's the chance of seeing some sun in the next few hours?

Very unlikely looking at the latest sat image

anim_vis_uk.gif

Posted

A few flakes coming down here again. One or two very light areas of precip starting to appear on the radar.

Posted

Same here...flakes in the air and currently  -1c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 hours ago, BleakMidwinter said:

We've got the powder blowing in great waves, the height of the lamp-posts, but we also have what's on the ground starting to break up on the tarmac, doing a very odd "crazing" effect of breaking up into little islands, whilst what's on grass and paths remains a thick layer. 

ETA: the car park one is interesting as the far side is not breaking up - and that is in total shadow all day at this time of year. Where it's breaking up into little islets gets tons of sun when there is any. So I agree with others, this is retained warmth from the last ten days or so.

These two pics are taken from the same window - I should have overlapped something but the right-angle corner of fence bottom-right in the car-park one is about eight foot to the left of the top-left corner of the other one! 

5aae5f9228163_thaw17.3.thumb.JPG.0dff60a8eb4b6066bdf557f1ed864189.JPG5aae5fa885c82_snow17.3.thumb.JPG.69ab479065cfb752e8eb0529927302b0.JPG

Nice post BleakMW..

Also for others like Walsall and DWW...

I have had a plumber in and he has temporarily fixed the heating so I got up and went out to clear some snow.

I too noticed the 'crumble, crazy paving'  effect on my  drive. 

I cleared it away and it was just ice under the snow. As you say lawns did not have the effect.

It must have been retained heat from the sunshine on Friday on the slabs..

It looks as if we will not be getting anymore showers now as they are being killed off by the Scandy high moving towards us, though it is also just possible that something else is forming to our SE. (PS As I write a few flakes are appearing here)...:D

It has remained exceptionally cold here. Below freezing, so that even where I have cleared the snow on the drive, any remaining snow has just turned to ice. The roads which did show melt during the morning as cars used it,  has now stopped and is turning to ice. Looks like trouble for tomorrow. Main roads are OK.

What I find strange about all this,  is what has happened to the temps. They started off at -3.3C o/n in the snow. Slowly climbed until a max of -0.2C at 13:30, and are now falling again (-0.8C). The dew point was at -4.8C o/n, went up to -3.7C, but is now falling away again at -5.7C.  It looks as if the easterly, as predicted, is forcing its way back in with the drier air and lower dewpoints..

WInd chill has remained at about -3 to -4, all morning in the strong winds,which even now continues to blow a blizzard from  the trees. It has all been blown of our roof.

It really is most unusual for the middle of March..

I suspect that a very cold night is in prospect, and also a colder day tomorrow.  

The strange thing is that some  are seeing a 'quick' thaw with  clearly temps above zero, whilst others like the Peak brigade are really in deep mid-winter. .

I am at 131.3m so not that high.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Gonna stick my kneck out I'm forever the optimist, I think we are gonna see a second event tonight that's snuck through the back door, you know you all love a back door entrance!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Just started very lightly snowing here, maybe something will develop after all?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Gonna stick my kneck out I'm forever the optimist, I think we are gonna see a second event tonight that's snuck through the back door, you know you all love a back door entrance!!!

Er, sorry mate not me!

Posted
17 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Nice post BleakMW..

Also for others like Walsall and DWW...

I have had a plumber in and he has temporarily fixed the heating so I got up and went out to clear some snow.

I too noticed the 'crumble, crazy paving'  effect on my  drive. 

I cleared it away and it was just ice under the snow. As you say lawns did not have the effect.

It must have been retained heat from the sunshine on Friday on the slabs..

It looks as if we will not be getting anymore showers now as they are being killed off by the Scandy high moving towards us, though it is also just possible that something else is forming to our SE. (PS As I write a few flakes are appearing here)...:D

It has remained exceptionally cold here. Below freezing, so that even where I have cleared the snow on the drive, any remaining snow has just turned to ice. The roads which did show melt during the morning as cars used it,  has now stopped and is turning to ice. Looks like trouble for tomorrow. Main roads are OK.

What I find strange about all this,  is what has happened to the temps. They started off at -3.3C o/n in the snow. Slowly climbed until a max of -0.2C at 13:30, and are now falling again (-0.8C). The dew point was at -4.8C o/n, went up to -3.7C, but is now falling away again at -5.7C.  It looks as if the easterly, as predicted, is forcing its way back in with the drier air and lower dewpoints..

WInd chill has remained at about -3 to -4, all morning in the strong winds,which even now continues to blow a blizzard from  the trees. It has all been blown of our roof.

It really is most unusual for the middle of March..

I suspect that a very cold night is in prospect, and also a colder day tomorrow.  

The strange thing is that some  are seeing a 'quick' thaw with  clearly temps above zero, whilst others like the Peak brigade are really in deep mid-winter. .

I am at 131.3m so not that high.

MIA

We got to a maximum of 0.2'c here today, but the thaw has been pretty rapid, apart from on things raised up, like wheelie bins, cars, tress etc. Just shows how much warmth the ground has soaked up over the last few days.

We ended up with 5" of level snow

Posted
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Easy there tiger :whistling: love to know your thought's why.....hope ya right :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
6 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Easy there tiger :whistling: love to know your thought's why.....hope ya right :good:

Look at the radar near London it's a developing situ plus someone tweeted John Hammond and he thinks it's gonna develop as it moves west 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Look at the radar near London it's a developing situ plus someone tweeted John Hammond and he thinks it's gonna develop as it moves west 

I think John Hammond maybe right.....But because it's in the South East and you've mentioned a westward movement, unless it back fills massively and northwards, I don't think it'll reach our region.

But who know it isn't even supposed to there regarding to the met office forecast :blink2:

image.thumb.png.e7111475aeaf84d168cfaa2482cf9c16.png

Posted
11 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Yes, radars looking more interesting now. I'm not sure it will amount to much but it's certainly not over yet..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Mmmm? Light snow here now, powdery stuff. Nowt on radar close by. Fascinating ?

big story of this winter is the surprises appearing out of nowhere. Quality!