Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted

@Summer Sun - gavin, with mean output at his time of year, getting snowfall to show is going to be tough. 

its a good tool Dec/jan/Feb to indicate how likely snowfall is but approaching April, it isn’t (if it does show then I think it’s pretty conclusive)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
22 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Although the long Easter weekend is still too far ahead to be confident with any details, the current thinking is that we will be heading into a colder than average spell with an increasing risk of frosts / ice and wintry precipitation which would include snow, especially on higher ground and further north but there is also a risk of snow further south judging by some of the GEFS 6z perturbations i posted above..I would say there is currently a good / very good chance of an unseasonably cold Easter which would also be trough dominated with a risk of snow!❄❄❄❄❄:):cold:

It just won't go away from the models, this cold spell has been showing for quite a while now, looks to last longer than the one we just had too:shok:

• Like 7

Posted

Something interesting in the clusters. Compare the last day of March and the last day of April:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018032000_276.   ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018032000_288.

The change is colours must represent the change in anomaly against the seasonal norm.

I guess it indicates how heights are supposed to be much higher in April than in March!

Overall, though, heights are still favoured to the west or north-west, which means no sign of sustained warmer weather even into April.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latter stages of ICON 12z and the low around Iceland isn't so far south on this run as it was on the 00z

12z

iconnh-0-156.thumb.png.3c30a0295a0c378cc7cca27718c8a0de.png

00z

iconnh-0-168.thumb.png.0099e515bc768cbe2bc924d87b75a917.png

As a result, the chillier air clings on a bit longer but on the upside, it is drier

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

162 GFS looking like shallow heights building between Iceland and Scandinavia beast trilogy still possible.

gfs-0-162.thumb.png.a18ece4ebe11f39064e27066e94f4796.png

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Something interesting in the clusters. Compare the last day of March and the last day of April:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018032000_276.   ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018032000_288.

The change is colours must represent the change in anomaly against the seasonal norm.

I guess it indicates how heights are supposed to be much higher in April than in March!

Overall, though, heights are still favoured to the west or north-west, which means no sign of sustained warmer weather even into April.

Jeez MWB - you have perhaps spotted a problem with anomolys when there is a more sig change in averages (ie March to April). Surely the models work to daily averages ??? Otherwise it’s ridiculous to compare across months end. The eps uppers  anomoly shows a marked drop on 1st April. Checking the actual numbers shows that there doesn’t seem to be much of an actual drop. Meteociel anomolys for gefs don’t drop off across the month end 

Weatherbell doesn’t show a drop off across the month end on gefs but does on eps

this needs a bit more investigation !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

162 GFS looking like shallow heights building between Iceland and Scandinavia beast trilogy still possible.

gfs-0-162.thumb.png.a18ece4ebe11f39064e27066e94f4796.png

And then it evolves into this

5ab136cdaf846_gfs-0-192(1).thumb.png.c5ca35663dcfabbeb44ac254227e7130.pnggfs-1-192.thumb.png.9899d4e6f261d01abb92a21227648c51.png

Notice the Azores ridge and a northeasterly looking like game on if this chart evolution is correct.

And the shallow ridge between Greenland and Scandinavia.

Another cold shot is still there.

Stratospheric events clearly helping run the cold train.

• Like 5

Posted

interesting these changes are coming after the short strat reversal .

Sub -20 850s now over southern Norway ! Good grief ! :cold-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted

WTH the gfs thinks ANOTHER Siberian High is trying to build again.Its nearly April you know :cold::gathering: Met talked about pressure in the NE still,so maybe it’s not a surprise,but wow anyway

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted

It’s a shame we can’t get into a time machine and go back a month !

Some tasty looking synoptics , shame it’s so late. Not enough forcing here on the GFS to pull that deep cold pool sw.

Better heights to the ne would help.

Posted

Good to know that the GFS12z is an extreme outliner, neither ECMWF or GEM shows anything close to GFS for the moment and the AO value is not negative enough to let the really cold air flow down to middle latitudes

Posted
Just now, Faronstream said:

Good to know that the GFS12z is an extreme outliner, neither ECMWF or GEM shows anything close to GFS for the moment and the AO value is not negative enough to let the really cold air flow down to middle latitudes

The UKMO has just backed the GFS at T144hrs.

I’m ready for some warmer spring weather but as a coldie I’ll give it a few more runs to see whether the models can develop something rather outlandish for this late into March.

• Like 6

Posted

GFS very close to beast mark 3 - have we gone through the wardrobe into Narnia? Or has Queen Elsa put an eternal spell on the UK? (you need young kids to get the last one!)

gfs-1-192.png?12  gfs-0-192.png?12

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
18 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Time to put the spring bulbs back in the shed!

Some big changes since yesterday , now pressure building to the ne .

The UKMO looks similar to the GFS at T144 hrs.

Indiana Jones and the search for the mini beast mark 2 begins ! 

I wouldn't actually want the deep fetch proper beast again as showers wont settle as much, UNLESS 1 of 2 things happen, either its a -15c to -17c which is unheard of in April, or some sort of shortwave feature develops actually in the flow itself. To me this chart here is the perfect setup, slack flow giving us another edge - evaporative cooling maybe worth a degree or so in itself, we  want a slack flow with continuous heavy snowfall with big flakes.

gfsnh-0-216_otn3.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I wouldn't actually want the deep fetch proper beast again as showers wont settle as much, UNLESS 1 of 2 things happen, either its a -15c to -17c which is unheard of in April, or some sort of shortwave feature develops actually in the flow itself. To me this chart here is the perfect setup, slack flow giving us another edge - evaporative cooling maybe worth a degree or so in itself, we  want a slack flow with continuous heavy snowfall with big flakes.

gfsnh-0-216_otn3.png

Heavy wet snow...... a whole new bag of hazards. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

gfsnh-0-216_otn3.png

I recall 3" of snow settling on this chart in April

archives-1989-4-4-0-1.png

so mega-deep uppers not always needed even in April. Though it did all melt by the next morning :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

I recall 3" of snow settling on this chart in April

archives-1989-4-4-0-1.png

so mega-deep uppers not always needed even in April. Though it did all melt by the next morning :)

TBH though, I'm looking for more than 3 inches, incidentally I see 1989 as a good spring analogue although probably a bit later this time, I can see a sudden turnaround from well below average temps happening to hot weather like 25c in the space of a couple  of days, its always a very strong possibility with these blocked springs, it only needs a slight shift in the wavelength pattern.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GEM going for a northerly at the start of Easter

gem-0-240.thumb.png.20847c7ac42a8645f9525dcab7d0d6be.pnggem-1-240.thumb.png.b0ba46ede705a4fa2d2936e61075db45.png

High pressure close by to our west if it could move east during the weekend we may get a decent Easter day

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1