Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
3 minutes ago, Singularity said:

So... those suspicions knocking around are bearing fruit all at once this evening. Too far out at this time to consider it a victory of course.

We'll almost certainly have a smaller prize to play for this time, but it should also be much less inclined to 'overshoot' the UK like the last one did; better chance it's followed up by blocking Greenland-Iceland as opposed to Greenland-Canada.

Usually I dislike cold spells mid-March onward, but if 850s could get to -10 or below while the high is not too close by, the large snow/hail shower potential is of interest given that even with the unusually dry imported air and weaker sun that we saw to end February, some showers did manage to initiate over land.

You see, having seen a half-foot of level snow last week, I am not so worried about whether much accumulates (more than very briefly like I saw in March 2013; gone within half an hour). For this reason chasing this 'child of the beast' will not cause me anywhere near as much tension. Very nice to take a more relaxed approach for a change :drinks:.

The extended eps continue to be solidly mid Atlantic ridge/euro trough.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
6 minutes ago, Singularity said:

So... those suspicions knocking around are bearing fruit all at once this evening. Too far out at this time to consider it a victory of course.

We'll almost certainly have a smaller prize to play for this time, but it should also be much less inclined to 'overshoot' the UK like the last one did; better chance it's followed up by blocking Greenland-Iceland as opposed to Greenland-Canada.

Usually I dislike cold spells mid-March onward, but if 850s could get to -10 or below while the high is not too close by, the large snow/hail shower potential is of interest given that even with the unusually dry imported air and weaker sun that we saw to end February, some showers did manage to initiate over land.

You see, having seen a half-foot of level snow last week, I am not so worried about whether much accumulates (more than very briefly like I saw in March 2013; gone within half an hour). For this reason chasing this 'child of the beast' will not cause me anywhere near as much tension. Very nice to take a more relaxed approach for a change :drinks:.

Oh yeh...?

Singularity at the end of next week

image.thumb.png.99c555d018507c84dfc934ce83270eb6.pngimage.thumb.png.f9a7f0ce1a8601f42a7e0f147adf1ee5.png

C'mon Beast pleeeeaasseee don't miss us - pleeeeaaseee !

:D

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, snowray said:

It would seem to me looking at that chart that UKMO are running with the ECM at day 7. Wouldn't it be fun if the 18z were to come on board this evening?:rolleyes:

ECM1-168.gif

Been hints for a dew days for The Beast Part 2 in my opinion. GEFS have been sniffing around an easterly last few days. On Tuesday ECM showed an incoming easterly at day 10 and dropped the idea but brings it back today at earlier timeframe. UKMO yesterday and today looked good and last but not least, the King of Beasterly modelling The ICON has come on board today. Not a done deal by any means but we are in the game once again. We waited years for a true beast and would be ironic if got two in a few weeks. I will take a beasterly at any time of year so bring it on.....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Also strong anomaly over Greenland @270 hours. Maybe a link up. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
3 minutes ago, shotski said:

Also strong anomaly over Greenland @270 hours. Maybe a link up. 

Hints are there in the METO extended text forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Hmmm just looking at tonight's Ecm 12z ensemble mean tells me something wintry could be lurking in the woodshed during the second half of march or at least the last third!..I'm looking NE and there is plenty of cold there..here's hoping!:cold::D

ECMAVGEU12_192_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_216_2.png

ECMAVGEU12_240_2.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

ECM Day 6 IMG_1887.thumb.PNG.189a4f39e03a16ef5150e02d5411d7e0.PNG

GFS 18z Day 6 IMG_1888.thumb.PNG.7b6237d80c5d14b5a24bb6d4517a376f.PNG

Differences already at day 6 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

ECM Day 6 IMG_1887.thumb.PNG.189a4f39e03a16ef5150e02d5411d7e0.PNG

GFS 18z Day 6 IMG_1888.thumb.PNG.7b6237d80c5d14b5a24bb6d4517a376f.PNG

Differences already at day 6 

I know where I’d put my eggs lol! Encouragingly UKMO is somewhat alongside ECM low pressure disrupting southeast into the mainland WAA shoots up. Interesting times. :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

Talk about blocking across the Northern hemisphere. We get close to a beast on the 18z , but doesn't  quite get there . 

IMG_1889.PNG

IMG_1890.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

W.T.F has happened tonight!!!,just come in from work to view some more juicy charts,have i stepped into a time machine and gone back to last week lol

i didn't get much snow from the last beast,i just hope beast number 2 delivers:)

other models are toying with heights pushing to our NE and the latest 18z gfs also toying with this scenario at day ten

gfsnh-0-240.png?18gfsnh-1-240.png?18

then drops a trough down the uk at the end of the run

gfsnh-0-384.png?18

i didn't think i was going to post some more wintry charts this late on but WOW there is and will be plenty to discuss this week i would feel.

ok!,who's gone off on one:whistling::laugh:

eps_pluim_tt_06260.pngeps_pluim_td_06260.pngeps_pluim_dd_06260.png

a trend:p

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Talk about blocking across the Northern hemisphere. We get close to a beast on the 18z , but doesn't  quite get there . 

IMG_1889.PNG

IMG_1890.PNG

1-3 months ago, this thread would have been busy on this alone. I wouldn’t be complacent, winter can pounce back in March I often think of it as a changeover month from winter to spring. No sign of changeover yet.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, ICE COLD said:

Can't believe this is happening lol ?. When I see the Icon , GFS and UKMO earlier I just New the easterly was coming on the ECM . We haven't had an easterly in years , are we about to get 2 in 2 weeks ? Let's hope so ?

Not happened yet but i want it too:D

• Like 1

Posted

The gefs 18z wanting to build heights to our NW at day ten,was bluearmy onto something,he said this in his post earlier.

gensnh-0-1-240.png

and in FL,cold air flooding down from the NE,yes please:D

gensnh-0-1-312.pnggensnh-0-0-312.png?18

followed by a runner low,what more can we ask for:)

gensnh-0-1-348.png?18

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Are we seeing the northern hemisphere climate struggling to recover from such an epic SSW?

Factor in the solar output diminishing over the next few years. Maybe this will become the norm for the coming winters. :yahoo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Philbill said:

Are we seeing the northern hemisphere climate struggling to recover from such an epic SSW?

Factor in the solar output diminishing over the next few years. Maybe this will become the norm for the coming winters. :yahoo:

A final SSW is taking place and the NH would take some recovering after this i would of thought Bill.

as for the ecm,it was a cold outlier in the eps as with the gfs op and control,lets see if there is more solid output on this in the morning.
ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
3 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Agreed, let's have an encore, the 12z runs have reignited hopes of a wintry spell in less than 10 days!..fingers crossed etc:D

After the Beast, what next?..another Beast hopefully!!:)

Frosty...

Have you hired the London buses to provide power for computers that run the models.?:nonono::D 

MIA

Posted

The GFS 18 hrs run has a less favourable start point re the troughing near the UK between T120 and T144hrs hrs and still manages to develop the Scandi block although it doesn’t manage to get the deeper cold sufficiently westwards .

I’d take that as a good sign rather than a negative suggesting the signal is growing for changes towards mid month .

If we’re to have one last colder spell it would be great to see that go out with a bang.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
54 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The gefs 18z wanting to build heights to our NW at day ten,was bluearmy onto something,he said this in his post earlier.

gensnh-0-1-240.png

and in FL,cold air flooding down from the NE,yes please:D

gensnh-0-1-312.pnggensnh-0-0-312.png?18

followed by a runner low,what more can we ask for:)

gensnh-0-1-348.png?18

Beastie be gone, your time is up

I'm looking for sun, my Pimms to sup

You had your fun, you made me shiver

I confess at the thought of you, I was all a quiver

But I'm dreaming of roses and bare feet on grass now

So beastie be gone, you can bugger off, take a bow

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, jethro said:

Beastie be gone, your time is up

I'm looking for sun, my Pimms to sup

You had your fun, you made me shiver

I confess at the thought of you, I was all a quiver

But I'm dreaming of roses and bare feet on grass now

So beastie be gone, you can bugger off, take a bow

Beasties come fourth, your time is near 

I’m looking for some snow, to make sidney bundle in fear 

A white March veneer, so queer. Oh put the kettle on....dear :D 

Mm enough there losing the plot should have been a poet! To make this on topic, all models now latched on height rises to north east a very recent trend. With trough digging se, very interesting mean at T168.

Not far out we’re talking.. I’d way rather it see it go cold than this crud. 

AE858B83-54F7-4B79-AAF6-3F199847CE11.thumb.png.c687aeb6769eafac8de2ef4975eb113d.png

• Like 6

Ma mama morning all 

After a run of a few days of early spring like conditions with shed loads of rain ECM puts in a return of the beast next weekend:cold:which best surprise given the AO is showing no real signs of going positive at the moment ,as daniel s quoted March is nature's transfer month from winter to spring and sometimes can be colder than December 

The severe cold at this stage is hinting at being brief from the east but as it's far out  at 7 days time from  now this could develop or be a non starter/one off run and needs to be cep an eye on in the coming days 

• Like 1

GF'S 00Z run is hinting of heights building over Scandinavia but at this stage as you would expect not as strong feed of cold air from the east by 192 hours but the signs of a pattern change are there

That low moving into France only has to intensify on future runs and a not so angry beast might make it to our shores, 

Still a long way off but the foundations for another cold spell have been concreted, now we need them to set ,then wait for the brickie s to arrive and start laying some blocks in the coming days :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Yes, definitely the most likely route to cold, even more defined signal on the 0z GEFS.

P6 the best example - blizzards galore.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, definitely the most likely route to cold, even more defined signal on the 0z GEFS.

P6 the best example - blizzards galore.

There were a few clusters on the eps so no surprise to see the op on an alternative route. 

the ens in general show too much westerly momentum for the scandi ridge to gain anything but transient traction but this looked the case yesterday morning and the 12z suites changed the trend somewhat. Whilst the mid Atlantic ridge continues to look the most likely route forward, how this actually manifests is unclear. Low heights and slp over Europe centred Italy seems more clear. However, the Azores ridge will not be absent as occurred a couple weeks ago so this is another variable to take into account. 

likely to stay on the cold side but with the Azores ridge able to push ne, couldn’t rule that out either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Better support between the ECM Op and ens this morning now the Op has dropped that cold air from last nights run between the 17th & 19th D10 the op is on the warm side

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.d439256c1823252a58ab33bb485797a1.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Just watching the 06z come out and occurred to me that the polar high which is drifting towards scandi on this run doesn’t have any high heights associated with it so this could be a further difficulty looking at the means/anomolys and spreads on heights. 

• Like 1