Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Paul

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Message added by Paul

My fellow coldies may call me a traitor but I don't care, it's april now and I would like some proper warmth!!..the Ecm 12z supplies it!:D🌞🌞🌞🔥

120_thickuk.png

144_thickuk.png

144_mslp850.png

168_thickuk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

My fellow coldies may call me a traitor but I don't care, it's april now and I would like some proper warmth!!..the Ecm 12z supplies it!:D🌞🌞🌞🔥

120_thickuk.png

144_thickuk.png

144_mslp850.png

168_thickuk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

Wouldn't call you a traitor lol. You have and most on here have a magic switch that changes your brain from wanting cold to wanting warmth. I'm just not made right (literally) as I don't have that switch.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Another brilliant update from GFS 

The 7-day forecast mean is slightly above average for England and Wales

ANOM2m_mean_europe.thumb.png.cc27da935f7fcab39ab82229c1d0078a.png

As for the 7-day trend chart, next weekend is it quite simply sensational more than 10c above average for some parts

ANOM2m_trend_europe.thumb.png.26264b56925ddca175104044831a40d4.png

giphy.gif

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Maybe a nice surprise easterly from ECM?

image.thumb.png.529ff292c127be9a14f56fdd65ff0eb3.pngimage.thumb.png.cf9bdec9d148197e2d56ccece981abb3.png

image.thumb.png.af7969ff4e03c53f6b86008db05115d8.png

Specially for the traitorous Frosty!

:rofl:

Edited by Purga
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

After the initial burst of warmth, we might have to go through a few cooler days whilst the high get's sorted and back into position, this was something that was showing on GEM 12z yesterday

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/89471-model-output-discussion-after-the-beast-what-next/?page=100&tab=comments#comment-3844328

ECMOPEU12_192_2.thumb.png.1a65d76471935d6b88dddc2ba67dd25b.pngECMOPEU12_216_2.thumb.png.cb89ca92ac3a192df3bbfce5fa89f434.pngECMOPEU12_240_2.thumb.png.fb5d60114747409de8486bd169c6fca4.png

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nice end to the Ecm 12z with high pressure taking centre stage, hopefully it would continue to drift slowly eastwards beyond day 10..fingers crossed we see a decent settled spell soon, it's looong overdue!!🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞:)

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

As for the 7-day trend chart, next weekend is it quite simply sensational more than 10c above average for some parts

giphy.gif

I'm not sure that's quite how those charts work Gavin, they're a temperature trend chart - so it's the difference between the temperatures at day 1 (which in those regions under cloud and rain/sleet/snow tomorrow will probably be rather depressed) and those at day 7 - so a very good trend and nice to see some warmer temperatures on the way, but 10c above average would be a bit extreme - that would put those parts of Northern England under the most extreme trend anomaly there at around 20-21c (which will not be happening we can quite safely say!).

They instead show that the temperature will be 10c warmer in a week's time, which will be pretty welcomed for many 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Nice end to the Ecm 12z with high pressure taking centre stage, hopefully would drift slowly eastwards beyond day 10..fingers crossed we see a decent settled spell soon, it's looong overdue!!🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞:)

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp500.png

With no major blocking to our east, it shouldn't have many issues drifting that way I'll take a few cooler days after the initial warmth if it means a more sustained spell of high pressure can develop

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Another brilliant update from GFS 

The 7-day forecast mean is slightly above average for England and Wales

ANOM2m_mean_europe.thumb.png.cc27da935f7fcab39ab82229c1d0078a.png

giphy.gif

I suggest you go to Siberia for some real warmth for the next 3 months ! :wink:

image.thumb.png.be32c23d92e125fc5e0dae3e07aeeb31.png

Looks average to cool at best in the UK :laugh:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, snowking said:

I'm not sure that's quite how those charts work Gavin, they're a temperature trend chart - so it's the difference between the temperatures at day 1 (which in those regions under cloud and rain/sleet/snow tomorrow will probably be rather depressed) and those at day 7 - so a very good trend and nice to see some warmer temperatures on the way, but 10c above average would be a bit extreme - that would put those parts of Northern England under the most extreme trend anomaly there at around 20-21c (which will not be happening we can quite safely say!).

They instead show that the temperature will be 10c warmer in a week's time, which will be pretty welcomed for many 

Considering it reached 22C in early April last year here, it certainly could happen.. though I don't think it will. 20C in April is really not that uncommon.

Edited by cheese

4 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Nice end to the Ecm 12z with high pressure taking centre stage, hopefully would drift slowly eastwards beyond day 10..fingers crossed we see a decent settled spell soon, it's looong overdue!!🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞:)

216_mslp500.png

240_mslp500.png

Yep - should get a decent frost out of that with these uppers in place

image.thumb.png.74100c6008c33e63e6d49249eb6a8c41.png

:D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

With no major blocking to our east, it shouldn't have many issues drifting that way I'll take a few cooler days after the initial warmth if it means a more sustained spell of high pressure can develop

Yes absolutely, and at this time of year even with colder uppers, in the strong sun it will feel pleasant. If the ECM run comes off in its latter stages, that high will inevitably drift east and there is plenty of heat building in the Med for us to potentially tap into if we get a southerly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Purga said:

I suggest you go to Siberia for some real warmth for the next 3 months ! :wink:

image.thumb.png.be32c23d92e125fc5e0dae3e07aeeb31.png

Looks average to cool at best in the UK :laugh:

sounds wonderful. might actually be able to sleep this summer

• Like 5

Always a good indication of higher pressure about is the precip spikes we can clearly see 2 spells where they are very low 5th to 8th ish and 13th onwards

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.9f072c97406e00dee656776fb68fb8f9.png

• Like 1

I'd be happy with an average summer if it also meant we had average sunshine, ie every month from May to August getting at least 200 hours.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Purga said:

Specially for the traitorous Frosty!

:rofl:

Steve Murr was looking for plumes recently so I'm not traitorous at all:D it's reasonable for even coldies to look for warmth from now on and there is good support from the models for a significantly warm few days from friday and peaking next weekend with temps in the high teens celsius and maybe a notch higher!:)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cheese said:

Considering it reached 22C in early April last year here, it certainly could happen.. though I don't think it will. 20C in April is really not that uncommon.

Ohhh I'm not suggesting that it's impossible to reach 20c in April, far from it. Just that it's not in the current scope of forecast modelling :)

I think barring an 81 redux (which is statistically even rarer than episodes like 47 and 63), I think its time to accept that the closed season is now upon us and retire from the thread, at least we now know that the second attempt at contemporary winter theory has failed and we can get big easterlies again, i told you all that we just needed a reduction in solar activity and it would come eventually, here's to a cool showery 15c July and August while we wait for business to resume later in the year again.

• Like 5

The warmer air has been squeezed tonight back to 1 day on the ECM & potentially the UKMO to be replaced by a cold high pressure.

Max here today 7c- A cold start to the month!

• Like 9

Settled it certainly looks, ECM at T240

ECM1-240.GIF?01-0

How warm is another matter, I still think it might be a slow gradual progression towards summer.  T850s at same time

ECM0-240.GIF?01-0

Beats all this rain though!

• Like 4

Evening All . ! At last something to look forward to , Proper Spring looks like coming at the end of this week , A dramatic warm up looks quite likely as I mentioned last night , and this is gaining momentum , if these charts verify we could see our first 21c/70f by the weekend .the first time since October 16th last year. May just get the shorts out....:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

ELO.png

ELOX.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Settled it certainly looks, ECM at T240

ECM1-240.GIF?01-0

How warm is another matter, I still think it might be a slow gradual progression towards summer.  T850s at same time

ECM0-240.GIF?01-0

Beats all this rain though!

Wouldn't it be great if an Ecm day 10 chart verified for once!..if it did it would show the high slowly drifting eastwards into a more favourable position with temperatures gradually rising after a cold start..as I keep saying, hopefully we will see a pleasant anticyclonic spell towards mid april..I think most on here would agree.:)🌞🌞

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Steve Murr was looking for plumes recently so I'm not traitorous at all:D it's reasonable for even coldies to look for warmth from now on and there is good support from the models for a significantly warm few days from friday and peaking next weekend with temps in the high teens celsius and maybe a notch higher!:)

Mmm... looks like peaking at about 14C at best with a lot of rain about acc. to the precip spikes.

image.thumb.png.405be00b272df30565ce08a381f0ba1d.png

Personally I'd prefer the cold / cooler weather with some decent sunshine and chilly nights with nice low dewpoint air over us.

:good:

• Like 3

ECM monthly issued on March 1st

Seasonal_Anomalies_T2m_20180301_m1.png

And the final assessment for March

ANOM2m_CFSR_GFS_1803_monthly_europe.thumb.png.e31577388d21ce3fb92850f22f6f73e8.png

A pretty good effort it has to be said

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Purga said:

Mmm... looks like peaking at about 14C at best with a lot of rain about acc. to the precip spikes.

image.thumb.png.405be00b272df30565ce08a381f0ba1d.png

Personally I'd prefer the cold / cooler weather with some decent sunshine and chilly nights with nice low dewpoint air over us.

:good:

Depends which model you're looking at, the Ecm 12z would be a lot warmer than 14c next saturday, at least further south / southeast!:D

144_mslp850uk.png

144_thickuk.png

144_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

• Similar Content

• By DiagonalRedLine
      Greetings!
      A shiny new model thread for the new season to continue your discussions of the latest charts etc. 🍂🍁
      There looks to be a lot of wild weather to come in the next few days with further showers, heavy rain and blowy weather. As many have illustrated, some particular concerns about Sunday where models, such as the GFS, show a troublesome storm exploding over the U.K! However, since it’s still a few days away and with models showing varied solutions on the Low Pressure system’s track and power, there are still questions as to how bad it may actually be.

Even before then, there’s a risk of gales at times with strong South-Westerly to Westerly winds.
      Please keep on topic in here sticking to the models and please keep things friendly. Rude and insulting behaviour is not tolerated! 🚫
      If your post contains moans, banter and ramps, expect it to either get deleted ❌ or moved into a more suitable thread. Would be ideal to keep any banter and moaning to a minimum, otherwise this would be a more suited thread for it (especially if it’s about Autumn): 
      But a bit of moans, banter and ramping is acceptable in here as longs as it still has a fair amount of sensible model chat and is not overdone.
      Additionally, we also have a Short Range Model Chat thread, which can be used to discuss charts within the short range (preferably around the 0 to 72 hour mark, but up to 5 days would still be okay).
      But you can still use this main model thread if you wish for short range discussions.
      Also, we have a Model Tweets thread for posting tweets about the models:
      ...and a Stratospheric Temperature watch thread for monitoring the temperatures and conditions within the Stratosphere:
      If you do post tweets about the models in this main model thread, then make sure you include some reasonable discussion of the models in your post as well, otherwise it may get moved to the Model Tweets thread.
      (Edit): Having said that, we have lots of different topics in this forum section you can take part in, not just the ones mentioned above. 🙂
      —————————
      Want to view the model outputs?
      You can get all the major ones here on Netweather:
      GFS
      GEFS Ensembles
      ECMWF
      ECMWF EPS
      NetWx-SR 
      NetWx-MR
      Met-Office
      Fax
      GEM
      GFS Hourly
      Model Comparison
      Global Jet Stream
      Stratosphere
      (Link to previous thread):
      ——————————
      Thanks all!  
    • By Paul
      Please continue with the model discussion here, as we perhaps head towards the hottest spell of what has already been a rare, very dry, very warm summer?
      Please keep on topic in this thread, by only discussing the model output. This isn't the place to be discussing (or arguing) over weather preferences and the like, so please don't be tempted to go there! And as ever, please also keep it friendly...
      GFS
      GEFS Ensembles
      ECMWF
      ECMWF EPS
      NetWx-SR
      NetWx-MR
      Met-Office
      Fax
      GEM
      GFS Hourly
      Model Comparison
      Global Jet Stream
      Stratosphere
    • By phil nw.
      Well we are around the halfway point of the Spring season and it seems a good time to start a new thread to continue discussions.
      A look at the 00z ECM day 4 charts shows that finally some widespread warmth is on the way after the cold,damp and often cloudy conditions of recent weeks.

A developing Euro high and a stalling Atlantic trough pushing the jet stream further north and bringing the winds from a warmer south/south westerly direction.
      A welcome change of pattern for most of us i would think.
      Ok please continue 

• By Paul
      A busy spell coming up, as the beast from the east arrives.
      As the focus of the model thread is often a bit further ahead, for those wanting to talk more exclusively about the shorter term outputs, we do have a short-range thread up and running. (You're still welcome to discuss the shorter term in here too though).
      This thread is all about discussing the models - but we have loads of other options for other topics:
      As always, please keep it to the models in here, and head over to the banter thread for any moans, ramps and general chat.
      For threads related to the cold spell, met office forecasts, the winter overall and much more on top, please take a look at the general weather forum:
      https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/1-winter-and-general-weather-discussion/
      And finally, if you're wanting to chat about your local weather, the risk of snow in your particular location etc, then the regional threads are for you:
      https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/
      GFS
      GEFS Ensembles
      ECMWF
      ECMWF EPS
      NetWx-SR
      NetWx-MR
      Met-Office
      Fax
      GEM