Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Evening Summer Sun

What would those 850's equate to for us in the southeast please? About 21C or more?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM 12z 2m temps showing the warmth slowly but surely moving further north from the end of next week

ECMWF_150_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.419bd1ffbe9763a00e17f9705a11bd94.pngECMWF_174_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.81bc4014aade4017e4a2d86809aa2ee5.pngECMWF_198_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.84813212e614d566a43ff532e13e346e.pngECMWF_222_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.1b7b96d3c49dda52a242f64621f4a0a3.pngECMWF_240_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.0f6c83f68617d45a77f461a92659f503.png

index.thumb.jpg.4270dc92e34e8bc2cdab0a77614a6cb2.jpgs-l300.thumb.jpg.cf3584c9b0edc2fc056f2ad166299b56.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, claret047 said:

Good Evening Summer Sun

What would those 850's equate to for us in the southeast please? About 21C or more?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Dave

2m temps just updated (see my above post) you'd certainly be looking at high teens to low 20's dare I say it but maybe even mid 20's in the favoured spots cloud permitting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

To provide some balance, the GFS 12Z OP doesn't really go in for a warm snap or spell.

Things start to get more interesting at the very end:

gfs-1-384.png?12

Anyone fancy an Arctic blast to end April ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Interested in this low pressure in the Atlantic that  comes up against the higher pressure to the east,  JMA ramps this one up, result massive southerly, let's see where it goes in future runs.

J192-21.GIF?07-12

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted

Certainly looks like the whole omega upper ridge pattern is retrogressive in the 6/10 day period as it brings itself over nw Europe and we finally see a spell of springlike weather. 

thereafter, it looks to slowly continue its journey west with temps slowly returning back towards normal late week 2. This continued retrogression is clearly too far out to be secure - can spring hang on and the uk avoid the developing scrussian upper trough ?? 

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like its getting progressively warmer from the east, but we still look to be on the cusp.

I'm off to Berlin for a few days and it looks quite warm there this coming week hope its arrived here by the time I return

• Like 1

Posted

00z ECM 2m temps showing temps beginning to rise from Europe towards the end of the week under that warmer air higher teens would be likely with low 20's certainly possible cloud permitting. Until you get the warmer air some places in the north could struggle to make double digits where you're plagued by cloud and or mist from the north sea

ECMWF_138_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.56cca0ecee7aba7a20ddccddfe384643.pngECMWF_162_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.4d6081ae267a3c0b440827452b87ccb4.pngECMWF_186_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.84f5ff7703b21cb920edc5a63a7bfd18.pngECMWF_210_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.dc917c7a1d33ad32d98a6244142dc11c.pngECMWF_228_EU_T2M_en-US_eu.thumb.png.0fa67f323390a5e0b772a480aafffa45.png

• Like 3

Posted

Morning all :)

No time for the detailed analysis this morning - back tomorrow - but some consistency starting to appear in medium term.

The coming week's easterly now looks to be more short-lived than had been envisaged in earlier output but the incursion from the Atlantic also gets watered down and there's a strong signal for a re-emergence of heights to the NE by T+240:

GEM 00Z OP:

gem-0-240.png?00

ECM 00Z:

ECM1-240.GIF?08-12

GFS 00Z OP:

gfs-0-240.png?0

GFS perhaps a shade less progressive than the others. However, persistent as the signal for heights to the NE is, so is the signal for the trough over or just to the south of the British Isles so the Scandinavian HP keeps things fine for the north and west while the south and east are always under threat from rain or showers. Not sure we're going to get the sun-kissed spring nirvana some on here seem anxious to forecast.

• Like 9

Posted

Looking at the GFS 06Z OP illustrates the problem:

gfs-0-168.png?6

If the Scandinavian HP moves too far east, the warm plume of air from the SE passes to the east and north east of the British Isles and instead the trough returns to southern areas bringing back a risk of rain or showers and re-enforcing the slack flow off the North Sea.

Posted

Spain and Portugal finally getting hotter not too bad for the UK either though closer to the coast could always be that bit cooler

gfs-0-276.thumb.png.8eebf1c8eaa2424c5f32bd8fbb541425.pnggfs-1-276.thumb.png.47b4f34fc0e16fd8857ef3eb503b5a2c.pnggfs-9-276.thumb.png.a5f5b09a3c3cf086b761ed0bc53ac8da.png

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, stodge said:

Wouldn't it be fun to get that nice blue blob a few hundred miles further west ?

gfs-1-336.png?6

No it wouldn't, especially bad for wildlife and lets just have what we expect for spring

• Like 8

Posted

The 06z London ens on Wednesday showed the mean heading down closer to average towards the end of the coming week

gefsens850London06.png.c0d64e81bcd9f49727773666efec76faWED.thumb.png.67a53e013756160e6efaf92ee6718330.png

Today's London 06z shows the mean now remaining above average until at least the 23rd

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.833505f415ba7aa71af347c15711d4a5.png

Hope these upgrades for the warmer air continue

:)

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
1 hour ago, stodge said:

Wouldn't it be fun to get that nice blue blob a few hundred miles further west ?

gfs-1-336.png?6

No thanks I've had enough of the cold now its time for us warmies to get our treat. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, huntso said:

No it wouldn't, especially bad for wildlife and lets just have what we expect for spring

Indeed. Coldies need to give up the ghost and admit that winter is over. Come back again in November.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

And back to discussing the Models please, Thankyou all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gem 00z ends with warm high pressure centred to the east..I really think after the week ahead we will see above average temperatures widely as the MO are again indicating which is very good news.:)???

228_uk2mtmp.png

228_mslp500.png

228_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Gem 00z ends with warm high pressure centred to the east..I really think after the week ahead we will see above average temperatures widely as the MO are again indicating which is very good news.:)???

228_uk2mtmp.png

228_mslp500.png

228_mslp850.png

Great to see your posts Frosty.Looks like a we are in for a taste of Summer, at least for a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Thank you so much for this report.

I note with pleasure 6th Jan 1982 (showing my age). It was my most memorable snow event.

You state"

A slight trend to more severe weather in 'late winter' is more obvious. The last 10 years now shows this trend extending into March"

Have you any information as to why we are generally now having the most cold periods in late winter/early spring?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Quiet in here.  Spoiler alert, maybe people have seen the GFS T240.

Before we get to that, here's UKMO and GFS at T144.

UW144-21.GIF?08-18

gfs-0-144.png?12

GFS the cleaner of the two, UKMO looks a bit messy, GFS looks quite pleasant re temperatures in the southeast at least

144-580UK.GIF?08-12

Although some showers can't be ruled out.

Then the aforementioned T240, just vile!

gfs-0-240.png?12

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
33 minutes ago, John Cox said:

Thank you so much for this report.

I note with pleasure 6th Jan 1982 (showing my age). It was my most memorable snow event.

You state"

A slight trend to more severe weather in 'late winter' is more obvious. The last 10 years now shows this trend extending into March"

Have you any information as to why we are generally now having the most cold periods in late winter/early spring?

John..

Thanks for the note.

I am afraid that I did not carry out examinations as to the reasons, I just noted the common occurrences as I was scanning through the historic re-analysis. If I had got side-tracked I would never have finished!

Typically, I examined up to  168 hours, after the initial date.

I did notice the straight Northerlies of the 19th Century, the fact  that the  Scandy high was south in the 1930's, and afterwards I realised how little cold we had in the earlier years for the period March onwards.

The interesting thing would have been if we had the data going back to the 17th and 18th Centuries. 

Ah well..

Anyone fancy looking at the 'hot' outbreaks to see a similar pattern?

I get the impression they are not so numerous, but who knows... 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1