Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

EPS look a goer to me.

EDH1-240_dfv3.GIF

Plenty of cold rain about any snow will be restricted to the highest ground need colder air than that this time of year for snow at low levels

EDM0-240.thumb.GIF.e46883905c13e4a8ef39f844b1fd04be.GIF

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Should probably stop chasing snow now, but after the last four winters, take all we can get!  GFS keen on Easter northerly, and after the last few weeks could be on the money, who knows.  T288 charts:

gfs-1-288.png?12

gfs-0-288.png?12

Supported by the control:

gens-0-1-288.png?12

GEFS probability of uppers below -5C at the same time:

gensprob-28-288.png?12

All fine by me so long as when  it's over we go straight to summer!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Plenty of cold rain about any snow will be restricted to the highest ground need colder air than that this time of year for snow at low levels

Look at the position of the ridge though, look at the transition from 216 to 240, the cold uppers are about to be brought down if it went further, that allied to the fact that there will be a significant cluster not showing the Atlantic ridge, meaning both or any number of solutions cant all be right, so IF the broad setup showing on the mean was the correct solution (of course at this range that's far from certain), then the uppers would be lower.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Plenty of cold rain about any snow will be restricted to the highest ground need colder air than that this time of year for snow

AVN_1_2000040400_2.png

Luton airport wasn't closed as a result of this then? 

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Optimus Prime said:

AVN_1_2000040400_2.png

Those are the type of setups that can deliver at this time of year, although not sure there's need for sarcasm though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

AVN_1_2000040400_2.png

Summer sun chart show zero degree isotherm in the English channel your chart same isotherm south of Spain... not fair comparison really.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

AVN_1_2000040400_2.png

Completely different to the chart I posted mine is far less cold than the one you have used

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, nytram43 said:

Summer sun chart show zero degree isotherm in the English channel your chart same isotherm south of Spain... not fair comparison really.

It's a fine comparison. Different type of pattern obviously but have a look at the chart posted by SS? and where is the 0°c isotherm in 2000? It's barely over Luton at the time of the wet snow (nearly 10cm fell)

I guess my point was, we're using one aspect to make a statement like 'no snow away from the highest ground' which is obviously not true. Based entirely on on those atmospheric temperatures, Sleet could fall quite widely there and snow would be found relatively low down (200-300m roughly)

Edited by Optimus Prime
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, shotski said:

And as if by magic..........

the cold appears. 

Strong anomaly for the turn of the month. 

E36589AB-292E-4A65-A0D6-539E2E353713.png

Did the -ve anomaly carry on right until the end of the run?, if so - should see a better London graph later.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Did the -ve anomaly carry on right until the end of the run?, if so - should see a better London graph later.

Pretty much the same all the way to t-360. Maybe a little less intense. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Reference April snow..

In a minute some one is gonna say you can't get lowland snow settling in England in March. Especially in Torquay and Bude.

Yes exceptional synotpics are required. Yes the current modelling is not there yet. But never say never when involving the weather.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, chris pawsey said:

I think it was the evening of 25th April 1981 not sure how to check historical charts, interesing to see if you can post?

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=25&month=4&year=1981&hour=12&type=ncep&map=0&type=ncep&region=&mode=0

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, although I'm not certain that 240 chart would lead to anything as great as the GFS operational, the Atlantic high looks a bit rounded, I'm wondering if it cant get right into the pole because of lower strat profile, I have to confess once we get to this point I rarely view the strat charts, actually scratching my head to think what setup the MO are thinking of by saying unsettled in south, cold and drier in the North as with a N or NWerly you would think the south would be drier, could be a channel low I suppose.

The theme of the eps is for that ridge to be flattened as per the op with the sceuro trough to follow even more marked this evening.  I’m seeing some interesting clusters on the NH profile which look suddenly neg AO in the 8/10 day period. 

Whilst I agree with nick s about the lateness of the time of year, I would rather have another bash at Easter snow than mild drabness and rain. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The theme of the eps is for that ridge to be flattened as per the op with the sceuro trough to follow even more marked this evening.  I’m seeing some interesting clusters on the NH profile which look suddenly neg AO in the 8/10 day period. 

Whilst I agree with nick s about the lateness of the time of year, I would rather have another bash at Easter snow than mild drabness and rain. 

Where is the ridging after D10 please, I would have thought there must be some sort of ridge?, even if a small wedge of heights somewhere to the North, to have that aforementioned Sceuro troughing dropping the uppers to a 5c -ve anomaly, obviously it cant be Scandi because of the trough.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Where is the ridging after D10 please, I would have thought there must be some sort of ridge?, even if a small wedge of heights somewhere to the North, to have that aforementioned Sceuro troughing dropping the uppers to a 5c -ve anomaly, obviously I cant be Scandi because of the trough.

Sorry, marked mid Atlantic ridge - together with aleutian ridge almost splits the vortex and orientates the Asian down to the sceuro trough - not so different to the gefs 

• Thanks 1

Posted

UKMO extended is the latest to bring the Azores high northwards early next week

ukm2.2018032612_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.19ab25ea3d9079852f59b06e7d072a3d.png

Bit of a change from the 00z!

ukm2.2018032600_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.77d7b3b089a9fd8e4bbaf581ec3c5dcc.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening ! My thoughts for tonight is a gradual rise to normal temps,  in the next few days  The GFS  offers at its final shout some very cold uppers  by April some strong sunshine , Some Amazing Cloudscapes  and some Amazing weather:yahoo: A very exciting time  for weather watchers:yahoo:

April Showers.png

April showersx.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ICON at T60:

icon-0-60.png?19-18

Quiet weather, all a bit meh!

What is wrong with me?  Is it possible that I can't stop posting pointless charts from rubbish models, because we've been doing it for best part of a month now?  Suppose it will heal with time like most things, oh yes, I'm aware of the GFS northerly!   What a Feb/Mar period.  Model watchers dream!

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted

Eps clusters are split between a  deep broad nw European upper trough and an average looking zonal trough ridge pattern. Exeter were keen on a slow moving blocked pattern so glosea and/Or mogreps clearly with the broad trough. that’s not springlike at all! 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Eps clusters are split between a  deep broad nw European upper trough and an average looking zonal trough ridge pattern. Exeter were keen on a slow moving blocked pattern so glosea and/Or mogreps clearly with the broad trough. that’s not springlike at all! 

And to add to that, even cluster 2 looks cold d12 - 15.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The GFS 18z carries on the theme off the last few days . Doesn't quite get the the really cold air over us but the trend is definitely there . 

IMG_1963.PNG

IMG_1964.PNG

IMG_1965.PNG

IMG_1966.PNG

IMG_1967.PNG

IMG_1968.PNG

• Like 3