Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It really depends on the set up.

The last cold spell was a victim of its own success, rarely does deep cold make it so far from east to west right into the Atlantic this cold then phased with shortwave energy to the sw.  

Normally blocking patterns are harder to break down.

The current set up would need more trough disruption upstream to extend the deeper cold , at the moment the ridge is set to topple so it’s really a timing issue of how quickly it turns milder.

The GFS does try and pull the jet back into the UK , and there is some deeper cold to the ne but still too much energy in the northern arm of the jet.

The Euros are more bullish with the topple. There’s still a small chance some of that deeper cold could effect especially the east and se again if the northern arm of the jet is being overplayed .

Regardless two convective easterlies a few weeks apart is exceptional whatever happens in the medium term.

I should add in recent years we’ve been discussing the disappearance of that type of easterly, deep upper cold and convection has been nowhere to be seen.

For that reason events of recent weeks especially coming so late in the season may never be seen again for years.

My advice enjoy the next few days and savour it as a coldie! :)

Were 1991, 87, end of 96/97 connected to SSW's?...seems like we need the strat warming to upset the global warming apple cart of recent years.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
13 minutes ago, snow freak said:

our weather patterns this winter, particularly with regards to the large fluctuations in temperatures on an almost daily basis seems very similar to those experienced in places like New York which frequently sees temperatures of 15c one day and then below freezing one or two days later. 

That maybe depends on where you are in the UK. We have had only two days where temps reached 10C this year. One in January and one in February and none so far in March. It has been either average or cold all year so far here.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, shawty1984 said:

If this is just a cold snap, cold enough for low level snow mid March, doesn't it put to bed the myth that once the cold and snow are here, it will be harder to shift? Something that was being said on the last cold spell too. 

Others can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I don’t think it’s necessarily the cold air being hard to shift, more the fact that in certain scenarios a block is hard to shift - usually a blocking area of high pressure with cold air entrenched. 

As we often see in continental climates, deep cold air can often be swept away with rapid rises in temperature. However, a stubborn block can be very hard to shift. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, snow freak said:

yes I tend to agree with you on this.  those who say, get the cold in first and the snow will follow and the cold will be harder to shift doesn't necessarily ring true.  the last 'potent' cold blast from the east was supposed to be a corker but the cold really only lasted a few days and was booted out relatively quicker by milder air again.

I think that if the last spell had occurred in Dec or jan, then the trough that followed would have been a lot colder at the surface and fairly snowy 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, karyo said:

Stunning ICON 12z! A small correction northwards for Saturday!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php?&ech=51&mode=0&map=0&archive=0

What's the implications behind this? As in the small correction makes what difference?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, c00ps said:

What's the implications behind this? As in the small correction makes what difference?

It means more areas can benefit from the easterly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

iconeu_uk1-16-64-0.png?15-16iconeu_uk1-1-67-0.png?15-16

With slightly milder air for the south east.... No signs of PPN thou 

The ICON - EU as a macro scale model has really impressed me in the last month, the same can not be said about its High Res 7km charts. 

Edited by MattTarrant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
11 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

ICON-EU is not the same model as the ICON global model.

ICON T850's at (roughly) the same time:

icon-1-63.png?15-12

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, karyo said:

It means more areas can benefit from the easterly.

Thanks ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

The further north the high sets up the better Atlantic trough disruption and then perhaps a prolonging of the cold flow over the uk as long as the northern arm of the jet is weaker. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

66-779UK.GIF?15-12

peak snow for the south coast.

Very nice, also monday evening sees some organised showers moving south across the eastern half of the UK. Uppers around -7C still and dewpoints around 0C so it can't be too far off from falling as snow.

Not much instability to the SSW to carry on propping up the high though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Cumulative snow chart from the HIRLAM out to the end of the run (Saturday lunch time):

hirlamuk-45-48-0.thumb.png.d91d380057a5dd2482b75ae63a9ca2a9.png

Worth noting the footnote to these type of charts:

'Details on the map: This map does not represent the layer of snow that will be on the ground in the end. Indeed, it is a map of accumulation of snowy precipitation which does not take into account neither the cast iron, nor the difficulty of the snow to hold nor of the existing layer. In addition, the AROME / ARPEGE models give the equivalent amount of water of the fallen snow, ie the number of mm of precipitations fallen and not the true layer in snow. An average 10: 1 ratio is used here (ie 1 mm of precipitation gives 1cm of snow) but this ratio is in fact variable: higher if snow is lighter, lower if snow is heavier / moister.'

Not quite sure about the relevance of ‘cast iron’, maybe a Google translate problem!  And this text seems to be copied from the similar chart for ARPEGE referring to that model, not HIRLAM.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Cumulative snow chart from the HIRLAM out to the end of the run (Saturday lunch time):

hirlamuk-45-48-0.thumb.png.d91d380057a5dd2482b75ae63a9ca2a9.png

Worth noting the footnote to these type of charts:

'Details on the map: This map does not represent the layer of snow that will be on the ground in the end. Indeed, it is a map of accumulation of snowy precipitation which does not take into account neither the cast iron, nor the difficulty of the snow to hold nor of the existing layer. In addition, the AROME / ARPEGE models give the equivalent amount of water of the fallen snow, ie the number of mm of precipitations fallen and not the true layer in snow. An average 10: 1 ratio is used here (ie 1 mm of precipitation gives 1cm of snow) but this ratio is in fact variable: higher if snow is lighter, lower if snow is heavier / moister.'

Not quite sure about the relevance of ‘cast iron’, maybe a Google translate problem!  And this seems to be copied from the similar chart for ARPEGE.

One could interpret that as saying that there'll be cast iron on the ground, come Monday...I sincerely hope there isn't!:shok::shok:

1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Funnily enough none of those were from SSW warming events. I think 97 and 91 were just random jigsaw pieces falling in the right place. Cold air build up to our east for example isn't unusual but other factors come together and make it move west.

96/97 had a very favourable SST profile. Also bear in mind 87 and 96/97 also occurred during solar minimums so perhaps that improved our chances back then.

However I think this one, like March 2013 has been sparked by the SSW events in recent weeks.

1991 followed very shortly after a minor warming which was the probable cause (very close similarities to 2012)

1996/1997 followed a Canadian warming in Nov/Dec 1996 - probably related

1987 cold weather followed SSW on Jan 23th, it's just that the extreme cold occurred prior to the SSW.

2013 cold in January most likely related to SSW on the 6th. However for the March event 2 months later it is unlikely that the SSW was the direct cause.

(Better continued on strat thread?)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
55 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

That top chart with the 850s  is a kick in the teeth for us snow starved Surrey residents - what happened to the upper cold pool with really low 500 mb temps ? 

THE BEAST - THE SEQUEL AND BEYOND

In this post I will briefly review the last few days, then assess the current set up and the incoming very cold wave. How cold might it get, how snowy can we expect it to be and how long long will it last? I will look further ahead and examine the broader pattern.

Last Week and This Week:

My last review was on page 5 of this thread and I shall pick up where I left off.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I just spent nearly 8 hours producing this very long post for the MOD - with loads of charts and info and it was intended to be my last one of the winter. I had proof read it and I was just adding a link to the learning thread and I must have pressed the wrong button and I lost everything, including all the chart links and a saved copy of the first half of the text. All that remained was the bit above. I'm so angry and frustrated after such an effort. There's no way that I'm going to have the time or inclination to do it all again. I hate computers and modern technology and it'll take me a while to settle down again. Why??? David :( 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, here's the link to my post on the learning thread that I did yesterday: