Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
8 hours ago, EllyTech said:

March 19th 1987 saw a very heavy snow shower in Cheltenham - it was Gold Cup Day. There was an immediate covering and very large flakes. It quickly melted leaving no settled snow in the town. (from my own diary).

Interesting possibilities being thrown up for another chilly spell. I doubt it will be as potent as March 2013 which from my perspective remains the benchmark for late season cold in isolation, i.e. not a continuation of an epic winter like 1947 or 1963.

We ended up with 24", that's 60cm in "New speak" on 22nd/23rd....quite impressive for so late in the year....

Posted

Barring the GFS the others are looking less enthusiastic for a quicker return to colder conditions .

The problem is that low near the UK just sits there filling with little trough disruption and then just phases with energy upstream.

We’ve moved away from that more elongated troughing to the w sw and have this bloated one which isn’t as good moving forward .

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Barring the GFS the others are looking less enthusiastic for a quicker return to colder conditions .

The problem is that low near the UK just sits there filling with little trough disruption and then just phases with energy upstream.

We’ve moved away from that more elongated troughing to the w sw and have this bloated one which isn’t as good moving forward .

That about sums it up Nick. Also ECM collapses the block in to central Europe between 144 and 168 whereas GFS and to lesser extent ICON intensify the block to northeast with trough disruption to southwest, drawing in the easterly. UKMO looks similar to ECM at 144 so will be intersting to see the 168 chart later to see if it follows suit....GEM is ...well I don't even want to talk about that...

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

ECM this morning does its usual trick having teased us with some potentially cold runs by producing something completely meh. It always seems to do this at some point when a cold spell is approaching. Jumps between it cold and mild clusters before settling back into the general run towards a colder outlook.

Spot on.And to prove you are 100% correct here are the ensembles,one of the mildest out of all of them.Useless model sometimes.Best stick with the Met and the models they use in these situations,and they mention Snow showers in the N and E again

FDF2A573-AE11-424B-AAA0-A4F3B0F148FA.png

Posted

My first post or check of the charts for over a week, that last rollercoaster took it out of me I think!

The period around 19th March was always likely to be that next window of opportunity with a building block to the NE and I was pleased to see the GFS and a few GEFS members playing it out very nicely this morning. ECM op says no but looks like there should be some support for a cold spell from within the ECM ens.

Beast mk2? What I would say is to cast our minds back to 5 days or so before the last cold spell. Virtually unwavering support from all ops and ens (for a severe cold snap, not any of the finer details). It’s not a must, but there will much a much lower chance of this occurring if we don’t get this trending in our favour over the next couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted

such a lack of continuity from the ops over the past couple days. Even ukmo has been shifting its ideas days 5/6

gfs stays on the same page for two runs now but that’s  what it usually does and the evolution to second beast can be altered quite easily with some subtle changes earlier in the run. 

really is poor guidance in the 6/10 day period but the extended mean remains solid on mid Atlantic ridging of sorts and broad sceuro trough. Staying cold but cold enough?????

in the medium term, the eps spreads and geps offer some support to the gfs op. We would have to see other ops adopt this evolution by the 12z suites (inc ukmo day 6) if it is to verify by the 20th

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
12 hours ago, Man With Beard said:

A mean easterly on the ECM ensembles

EDM1-168.GIF?10-0  EDM1-192.GIF?10-0

which is usually the best indicator of an incoming easterly

On balance though (sorry to be a party pooper), to me I think it's still 60/40 we won't see significant cold from this - because it's so late in the year - needs a push of minus 10C uppers first to get the cold to "set-in" IMO

A bit like this me ol' cock sparrow....

image.thumb.png.2af0b1e3cd2b5ea46c274d418007dd18.png

:bomb::hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

18th to 23rd the best place for the GFS 00z Op would appear to be the bin given the lack of support

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.dc7f702c4642d5594afbd8704391b0a6.png

ECM mean continues to show nothing overly cold the Op is obviously on the warmer side towards the end

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.9e0c2efa069851826e76825b7d2f3452.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I’d put the ECM in the bin as well then as it’s a mild outlier ? 

If outlier is the criteria for binning a run, then certainly, both ECM and GFS need binning!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

18th to 23rd the best place for the GFS 00z Op would appear to be the bin given the lack of support

ECM mean continues to show nothing overly cold the Op is obviously on the warmer side towards the end

Re the GFS, there are 4 similar members, including the op.  Not certain to happen, but certainly an option not to be ruled out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
12 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

It's not totally alone tho ss is it ? I would agree with you usually  but it's not out at day 14+ it starts at day 6/7 , so bit of an over reaction there by saying bin it ? But I bet if it showed 14 degrees with sw winds you wouldn't be saying bin it ? 

This is only a week from today -

IMG_1898.PNG

• Like 4

Posted

GFS op drops the day 8/9 beasterly as expected though will be interesting to see what it decides to do on this run if it’s headed on an alternative route - small adjustment or ecm type jump?? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
23 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

GFS op drops the day 8/9 beasterly as expected though will be interesting to see what it decides to do on this run if it’s headed on an alternative route - small adjustment or ecm type jump?? 

Not only does it drop the beasterly, it drops any cold whatsoever..next saturday looks very mild..sunday a tad cooler but still mild further s / e!:D..the models giveth and the models taketh away!:crazy:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Eastnorthwest said:

Even better it's just off the east coast by T 165 which hopefully with the time frame won't change much  on next few GFS runs

00Z run more or less same as previous run showing same easterly being replaced by NE Easterly by T 240

Very encouraging for coldies ,next 2 days crucial to more or less nail it

Just now, Eastnorthwest said:

00Z run more or less same as previous run showing same easterly being replaced by NE Easterly by T 240

Very encouraging for coldies ,next 2 days crucial to more or less nail it

Ok so the other models are garbage compared to GFS but that will change if the AO shows no signs of going positive in the next 2/3 days ,next 2 GFS runs also crucial for the other models to come on board don't ya think?:fool::wallbash::sorry:

Posted

Yes the 500 mb charts you show have been changing over the past 2-3 days. Prior to this morning there was little indication of the ridging and +ve heights shown on those first two charts Nick F has posted. NOAA has some indication, fairly consistently over a similar time scale of slight ridging in the Greenland area along with small +ve heights. By the 8-14 then the trough it shows over the UK area has been pushed east. A couple more days and consistency for the 3, both with themselves and one another, IF they continue with what they currently show and some kind of ridging allowing fairly cold air to move south into the UK seems a high probability, note I said IF. To me the push would be more likely from west of not east of the meridian.

NOAA below

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just to be clear what an outlier really is when viewing the ensembles,here is a decent example.

t2mAthens.thumb.png.b19878b6e137ed77e42bb7e36d959dc9.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Just to be clear what an outlier really is when viewing the ensembles,here is a decent example.

But that's the wrong type of outlier, Cloud 10. The other kind is simply one that doesn't do as it's told!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

But that's not a natural outlier, that's as a result of false starting data (ie - 2m temps about 3 or more degrees lower than what they actually were).

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

There are signs of weak blocking in places to the north but currently not strong enough i would say to promise notable cold for us within the next 10 days.

Day 10 ht anomalies

gensnh-21-5-240.png EDH101-240.GIF?11-12

The ht anomalies on gefs and ecm certainly indicate small wedges of heights ne and nw at different points during the runs with a stalling trough near our sw which does  shows signs of some disruption into Europe but it all looks a bit underwhelming to get any chance of an easterly that will bite this late in the season.

The Scandi wedge/Euro trough disruption does start to look promising at day 7 on both

EDH1-168.GIF?11-12 gensnh-21-1-162.png

but that's about as good at gets on these runs before westerly momentum takes over, especially on the eps

We really need to get an almost perfect alignment in the pattern from the ne in order to draw say -10C or colder uppers from what will be a shrinking source of deep cold.

If we compare say March 2013 we can see the sort of pattern needed

ECH1-24.GIF?00

where we had the flow initially from the coldest area-the Siberian sector of the pv dropping sw down through Scandinavia and into the UK.

• Like 2