Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - after the beast, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here! 
Other options:
Model moans, ramps and banter
Regional discussions

For more focused short-range model discussion:
Short-range Model Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

The area where the ECM 12z Op takes the 850's down towards -20 or lower compared with the mean

graphe_ens3_php.thumb.png.b2e0915d8edf73dc173dd697af812ca0.png

Safe to say it has gone off on one

The thing is most cold spells start off as an op or ensemble run that appears to have "gone off on one" So I wouldn't dismiss it entirely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

It doesn’t ?

the day 8 cluster had the anomoly to our ne - the difference days 9/10 is the polar ridge which is notoriously difficult to model 

yesterday’s spreads had a ne Scandi  high 

whilst this is an unlikely solution, l I wasn’t surprised to see it emerging 

Damn you're right, it is supported by cluster 2 this morning - only 17% of members though.

Well if the op has crossed to that cluster, maybe there's a bit more in it tonight.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Damn you're right, it is supported by cluster 2 this morning - only 17% of members though.

Well if the op has crossed to that cluster, maybe there's a bit more in it tonight.

The 12z mean/anomolys heading towards cluster 2 

could we see the mid Atlantic ridge growing to link over to a n scandi ridge of sorts ?? Euro trough getting cut off perhaps ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm sure (well, almost sure) that I can recall March & April 1965 being cold and snowy, and dominated by mostly easterly winds...?

With the PFJ being so far south, this year, I don't think another incursion of very cold air can be ruled out... Late April 1981 was a bit odd, too...:good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

what does the gfs show, don't trust the ECM, having said that, which model picked up the beast first.

Posted
3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

what does the gfs show, don't trust the ECM, having said that, which model picked up the beast first.

Gfs was playing with it beyond day 10 which doesn’t leave any room for the other models to get there first ...

Ecm was making a decent stab at the actual solution from day 10 apart from one mobile dodgy run

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Gfs was playing with it beyond day 10 which doesn’t leave any room for the other models to get there first ...

Ecm was making a decent stab at the actual solution from day 10 apart from one mobile dodgy run

UKMO was on the money. Usually the model of modesty. 

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

UKMO was on the money. Usually the model of modesty. 

It’s never going to win a predictable race when it starts 4 days behind! 

• Like 3

Posted

Eps clusters out to day 10 are single which means the op, whilst not heavily supported in detail isn’t far away from the upper heights pattern. The difference between cold for March and potentially very cold for March is going to come down to the polar ridge on that basis. Still no sign of spring apart from the odd day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I'm sure (well, almost sure) that I can recall March & April 1965 being cold and snowy, and dominated by mostly easterly winds...?

With the PFJ being so far south, this year, I don't think another incursion of very cold air can be ruled out... Late April 1981 was a bit odd, too...:good:

Yes, March and April '65 very much were.

• Like 1

Posted

The 00z suites continue to play with the wedges and amplifications - no strong idea of what to do with them although the gfs op shows good continuity from the ideas of yesterday’s ec 12z without the polar ridge getting involved whic makes more sense and fits the extended eps better. (Plus the predicted strat profile)

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Nice FI cold blast on Gfs 00z..I still think we could see another wintry spell during the second half or last third of march..fingers crossed!:):cold-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extremes

There is a new moon on the 18th, I wouldn't be surprised to see a cold spell starting a couple of days either side of then.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Once again the Op is on the colder side of the mean for the FI cold air

gefsens850London0.thumb.png.d4ea301ea434971dbcf01f8c0be5dd2a.png

From tomorrow the London mean doesn't fall below 0 until at least the 16th with the colder blip at the end on the cold side of the mean

This was the mean on Tuesday morning

gefsens850London0.png.65bca9fea5fc08e25bb85f3fbab999d0.thumb.png.06f41afe7b8c5ccd49f6767afe6dbb45.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
12 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

If I remember rightly in 1981 we had been dominated by high pressure for a few weeks which made it feel very much spring like in the sun though I remember it being chilly in shade, day before snow starting on the Friday we had a few snow showers early Thursday morning that came in from the west.

The low that brought the blizzards was the usual tracking from south west of us to south east. 

• Like 3

Posted

This morning's clusters - still looking for a small height rise to the north, possibly NE or NW. Perhaps a little more encouraging that yesterday morning for bringing cold to the UK, but fairly weak so could go either way. Cold rain still the main dish on offer.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018030800_216.

Towards the end of the month, like yesterday the focus on ridging is more towards the NW but still waiting to see how the trend will develop. Very unlike last week's cold blast which the ensembles shouted out loud 15 days before it happened!

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018030800_360.

• Like 1

Posted

The Gfs 6z is generally unsettled and shows a colder spell during the last third of march with snow for some, especially further north. I don't think we will see anything wintry as such during the next 10 days or so, indeed, there is some very mild weather on the way for the weekend and at times next week but beyond that..there is a chance!:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

The UKMO 144 has teased me out if hibernation - for a comment.

144 shows a very meridional flow across 50N with deep cold filtering into Scandi-

could be a sharp transition from mild to cold across the UK across day 7/8

9E32D25F-8885-4016-AF78-9BE0CC55EF4F.thumb.png.c2b3963edbb58b29e29b2bd2b0440109.png

Even though it's March, and even though we just experienced one of the coldest, snowiest periods of recent years thanks to a proper easterly flow. I can't help but look for the last chance saloon when it comes to winter weather. We are still in March and after the record breaking SSW, colder more blocked conditions are surely more favourable than milder springlike ones, whether we like it or not!

UKMO did catch my eye this evening when checking the runs, coupled with the ECM from yesterday, and the general background signal, it would not surprise me if we did end up seeing one last hurrah from winter 17/18 which overall has been pretty darned good.

It will be interesting to look back on March as a whole when it's done and see if that record SSW had the legs to deliver more than the initial beast....

• Like 4

Posted

Interesting Gfs 12z in low res with a chance of a Easterly / Beasterly evolving and even something from the Arctic towards the end, something which will hopefully keep cropping up and eventually heading towards high res..coldies can at least hope for another wintry blast before March is over!:D:cold-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening...It looks as though the jet stream will be to our south for a while yet, hints from the 12z suite from gfs shows ridging from the south ,could it be the old adage March in like a lion and out like a lamb:cc_confused:

h850t850eu-16.png

hgt300-1.png

hgt300-2.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This could be a named storm if ECM were on the money

ECMOPEU12_168_1.thumb.png.760d0194e468bfeade3abf256371492e.pngECMOPEU12_192_1.thumb.png.62f93df234ac9166c434387c5270d9df.png

ECMOPEU12_168_2.thumb.png.7e52a4aec9de252c4b8e21adb99a21ae.pngECMOPEU12_192_2.thumb.png.41cd44f374d5eb6a92e50958dba18e56.png

Don't hang around for long with things soon calming down

ECMOPEU12_240_2.thumb.png.5acaab71a2991fe1ec5ebaff5dfdd992.png