Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

Temps rising rapidly now up to 0c expect to hear the drips soon

4 minutes ago, TQWX said:

Wow - and that was on very wet roads.  Super fine stuff starting to fall here.  I think this is going to be much more dramatic than the Beast Mk1 for this corner of our region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Amazing how much snow fell and yet it still didn't accumulate on concrete or tarmac lol

20180318_102430_HDR.thumb.jpg.77b478a2f7979bdd4c1e11d1bdce56cc.jpg

Settled nicely on mine to my surprise. Several inches on the grass added to yesterdays accumulation

Really piling up on cars and snow covered surfaces, but the strength of the wind is causing any that lands on the pavement or road to be scuttled along into little drifts

20180318_103232.thumb.jpg.4c8b2d3abccf13cc39162591a5e176db.jpg

20180318_103251.thumb.jpg.8f2888c51ec69969a6972802e07fb923.jpg

Look at the size of that drift :whistling:

20180318_103509_HDR.thumb.jpg.0dee655a0f9a5588537fc6cdbf2b574f.jpg

• Like 2

If it’s of any help the wind has gone more southerly in the CI at the moment we have no snow at all here, Alderney a little, all the showers are just running even more east of CI than they were,  then N and W.  Very similar situation to the beast just much warmer this time. 

FA91A26B-1B68-4F20-AEEB-E38FEFD071D1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Steve Caiels said:

Wow - and that was on very wet roads.  Super fine stuff starting to fall here.  I think this is going to be much more dramatic than the Beast Mk1 for this corner of our region.

Just heading out now to get pics. Beast 1 doesn't compare at all to this. Definitely the worst snow here since the 80's.

• Like 2

Well the was a fun evening!

Went to the local at 7pm then a friend gave us a lift to midsomer norton about 8.30 but the roads in village were already turning white. :crazy: Drove to town and it was clear further down with no settling snow.

Then we decided to get out about mid night but no taxis would take us back up to mendip so we walked all the way home! :drunk-emoji: my legs hurt this morning!

Think we have around 6 inches of snow but again it is hard to say with drifting widely. -2.2c and snizzle now.

I wonder if we shall see more this evening?

• Like 3

I have to say, the NetWx Sr model did extremely well. It didn't entertain the idea of lots of snow in the amber warning area for the SE. It nailed the heavier snow from around the IoW and West.

viewimage-4.thumb.png.dfb47157ce523354c074f978f5bdd1f5.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

The first flakes here at Efford- loads of people stocking up on bread at Pike Rd Coop. Looking very snowy sky in the East towards Ivybridge 

Edited by philglossop
  • Like 2

Completely stopped here. Is that it for up here?

Torquay webcam looks amazing. Know Torquay well; a long weekend haunt of ours a few times a year. Never seen it like it is showing on webcam now.

Screenshot_20180318-105324.thumb.png.8d091eea8008ded9dce96e52f30b1c44.png

All cleared away now nothing on the met radar. but to our west it's very different story.

And more likely for Portsmouth anyone know ?

Chucking it down here on the edge of paignton and laying on everything fast! Heaviest I’ve seen it here in my 25 years. 

• Like 6

Surface temperatures are dropping just enough for previously melted roofs to have snow settle, and parts of the road and pavement are starting to go white now

• Like 1

Well its a snow fest for all, and its so much more fun when everybody in the region can join in. Stopped here of course, but what a wonderland it looks. I find it hard to take in that its 18th March. Its super special for the children to enjoy sledging and snowman-making... How convenient that the weather chose Sunday to drop this on us?

Funniest sight this morning was a guy picking his way through the snow in his shiny shoes, office suit, open blazer, tie flapping, no coat - totally under-dressed. He's obviously not a weather enthusiast!

The wind is spoiling the enjoyment out there just now. Hoping for two things: the wind to drop and a top-up from somewhere.

• Like 2

5cm of snow here in Reading, the same amount as we had from the last Beast, and also equal to what we had in January 2013, the last time we had 'proper' snow before that. The difference this time is that the temperature is more marginal and the snow therefore less powdery and already showing slight signs of melting.

1 minute ago, <torbay> said:

Chucking it down here on the edge of paignton and laying on everything fast! Heaviest I’ve seen it here in my 25 years. 

Enjoy. Going to be fun for you guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR EXTREMES said:

Screenshot_20180318-105324.thumb.png.8d091eea8008ded9dce96e52f30b1c44.png

All cleared away now nothing on the met radar. but to our west it's very different story.

And more likely for Portsmouth anyone know ?

Keep an eye on the radar this evening. :)

• Like 2

4 inches of laying snow. Breezy.

Temp -1C  Humidity 78%  Dewpoint -4C

-1.9c. Brighter now. Snow stopped .Wind blowing snow around not stepped out yet. 

8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Completely stopped here. Is that it for up here?

Torquay webcam looks amazing. Know Torquay well; a long weekend haunt of ours a few times a year. Never seen it like it is showing on webcam now.

aye, I was born and bred in Brixham for my first 20 odd years before i joined the RAF, and lived through th great blizzard of 78/79....the current amount of snow falling out of the sky down there rivals that and then some in intensity...wow!

• Like 1