Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

1:10am

Not much difference from an hour ago, moderate snowfall right now, but it should pick up..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Sleepy now so off to bed for me. Happy snow watching to all you loonies staying up, hope all our dreams come true tonight. Night all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hi all! Back from the prison early, dicey drive back, nearly didn’t make it up one hill but got there eventually, two inches on the ground in wells and Shepton, going to have a quick sloe gin and get myself some sleep... literally can not wait to go sledging in the morning!! Son still has a game of football on apparently. :nea:

Edited by khodds
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, RAIN RAIN RAIN said:

50 members in here at 1:15am not bad! In a few days it won't get above about 5!

Best Regional on here - we're a chilled out region who doesnt take life too seriously. 

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, jethro said:

Sleepy now so off to bed for me. Happy snow watching to all you loonies staying up, hope all our dreams come true tonight. Night all.

Night Jethro. Not sure if I'm staying up much longer. 

Posted
Just now, Jayfromcardiff said:

Really coming down now! Everyone have patience, remember the warning has just started.

Yeah same here Jay. All White in my street. No real depth but covered. Not a patch on 2 weeks ago but i'll take it for 18 March.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Maybe me saying 5am was a stretch, but I'll stay up as long as I can. 2am is my usual cutoff point on the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Quick ruler check before bed, level on patio table is 5cm so far and still coming down, moderate, not heavy.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Bristle boy said:

Best Regional on here - we're a chilled out region who doesnt take life too seriously. 

Yep, hence why I'm always in here. Chucking it down with snow here. Must be up to 2cm now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Andyjames said:

Can't see this beast coming off. Moderate snow now in Yeovil for 4 hours and only about an inch on the grass absolutely nothing settling on the roads or pavements. 

As many have already pointed out, that's because the ground temperature isn't quite low enough yet, but it will get there. Once the heavier precipitation arrives (currently around IOW), it'll be much easier for it to settle. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Yep, hence why I'm always in here. Chucking it down with snow here. Must be up to 2cm now.

Can you get pictures Jay? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

the darn streetlights going off at this time, is no problem, just set up your own lamp, and point that sucker out there

got a nice covering on my window sill, and i can see the flakes fluttering past the window

4 minutes ago, Joe Levy said:

As many have already pointed out, that's because the ground temperature isn't quite low enough yet, but it will get there. Once the heavier precipitation arrives (currently around IOW), it'll be much easier for it to settle. 

But will it though? This is all about timing and I'm not sure the heavy stuff if any will hit at the right time??

Posted
13 minutes ago, khodds said:

Hi all! Back from the prison early, dicey drive back, nearly didn’t make it up one hill but got there eventually, two inches on the ground in wells and Shepton, going to have a quick sloe gin and get myself some sleep... literally can not wait to go sledging in the morning!! Son still has a game of football on apparently. :nea:

Best oxymoron of the year award goes to khodds :clap:

• Like 1

Posted

Settling well here so it can’t be long before it settles with you @Andyjames

50 minutes ago, RAIN RAIN RAIN said:

Can anyone answer this, how has this easterly delivered snow less than 24 hours after arrived whereas the last easterly didn't deliver anything meaningful for 3 days?

Beast 1: The air circulating around the Scandi HP only reached our shores very slowly, initially on a dry and rather cold south-easterly. The Siberian surge of very cold air moved in, along with the very low 850s, took about 3 days to cross Russia, Europe and push out across the North Sea and the UK and Ireland. Then the exceptional low level convection started producing a few days of snow showers. Then storm Emma engaged with the deep cold and produced blizzard conditions in the south, before a period of freezing rain for many and then less cold air gradually moving up from the south.

Beast 2:  The deep cold air was never pushed away very far. Europe warmed up but northern Russia and northern Scandi remained very cold. This Scandi HP drifted down from the eastern Arctic and pulled in the very cold air back across north-east Europe and Scandinavia. Then, late on Friday and into early yesterday, the HP pivoted from a north to south axis to an east to west axis. This opened the floodgates and the very cold air (surface and uppers) surged westwards across Europe and into the UK. The low level convection formed almost instantly and snow showers started early yesterday just behind the cold front. Now we have a minor disturbance engaging with the old cold front that cleared the south coast on Saturday morning with heavy snow developing as I speak.  :) 

Live Rain/Snow Radar                          Live Infra Red Satelitte

lastsnowradar_uk.gif   anim_ir_color.gif 

Rapid developments now (0130) with some very heavy snow in many parts of our region. Will peak in the next few hours - so SNOW, SNOW, SNOW  :D 

My lamp post has gone out and there's over 2 cm lying now, including the road and pavements. I keep sticking my head out of the window - still snowing heavily.  David. 

EDIT:  Yes, time for several hours sleep.  Goodnight all.  :) 

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
1 minute ago, Andyjames said:

But will it though? This is all about timing and I'm not sure the heavy stuff if any will hit at the right time??

Best thing to do is patently observe, make note and see the conclusion. 

Posted
Just now, kumquat said:

Best oxymoron of the year award goes to khodds :clap:

It was good wasn’t it?! ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Snow just doesn't want to pitch on the road surface, settling everywhere else though. 

Posted

As i cant see F.A. i'm off to 'the sack'...i detest councils....###### overstaffed public sector losers!!!