Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

This is why I do not use GFS CAPE charts. Bristol is circa  1700 j/kg on that map.. a look at the extended skew-t shows it around 500 j/kg

skew0.87386591646737.thumb.png.9bcaf0a6061042d8c009a858c21ed459.png

Maybe I should've been more clear, the CAPE chart I posted was from the Netweather NMM model, maybe it's time I use the same caution with that model as with the GFS. Are skew-t's really much more accurate over forecast models and if so how do we know?

EDIT: Ironically this is the GFS 12z run... Which is the same as the skew-t.

GFS.thumb.png.8dffedc452c014df690bbc7773489329.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

You're certainly correct about the cooling sea effect, we picked up 27.4C today largely due to the lack of the cooling sea breeze, as was yesterday..

Certainly was much cooler when the sea breeze picked up. As I posted earlier I was surprised how much of a difference there was here with the breeze compared to only a few miles inland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Are skew-t's really much more accurate over forecast models and if so how do we know?

Skew-t's build up a profile of the atmosphere through all of the layers. Granted, extended skew-t is only a forecast, but it is far more accurate than hi-res/GFS charts. You can view a skew-t on the morning of an event and it will give you an exact sounding of the atmosphere - almost realtime observations.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Skew-t's build up a profile of the atmosphere through all of the layers. Granted, extended skew-t is only a forecast, but it is far more accurate than hi-res/GFS charts. You can view a skew-t on the morning of an event and it will give you an exact sounding of the atmosphere - realtime observations.

Sounds reasonable, I've never truly understood how Skew-T data was collected and its accuracy which is why I've never really used it. Looks good though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
31 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Looks like that's the case, I can't see many showers forming before late afternoon.

The fax charts show the trough moving west to east at the spine of the country at midnight into Sunday.

Majority of showers should form before that, many being initiated about 6pm ish... Before lasting well into the evening/night.

Major risk seems north of M4 anyway according to NMM.

5ad8cb2d6b944_SaturdayFax.thumb.png.17fb9d70cf81485f3f27ddb9914bb732.png5ad8cb313dae4_SaturdayCAPE.thumb.png.ed75336e00047c14b9f7c60cb78d5e3a.png5ad8cb35b03fc_SaturdayPrecipitation.thumb.png.c1898d6a18be5b9f2d461c062248e3ae.png

Perfect sort of day! Love reading your convective forecasts by the way. Very nicely put together.

• Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Perfect sort of day! Love reading your convective forecasts by the way. Very nicely put together.

There is nothing better to me as an "amateur meteorologist" receiving these types of comments. Being 18 and looking to study meteorology these comments are what motivate me to learn more, thank you and hopefully we'll have many more of these events over the coming months.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Skew-t's build up a profile of the atmosphere through all of the layers. Granted, extended skew-t is only a forecast, but it is far more accurate than hi-res/GFS charts. You can view a skew-t on the morning of an event and it will give you an exact sounding of the atmosphere - almost realtime observations.

Aren't the realtime reports limited to specific towns / airports?

Posted

23.6C today at 13:23 before the sea breeze arrived and briefly dropped it below 20C, however it was 20-22C for much of the afternoon.
That's just 0.2C short of my station record in April 2011. I wonder how high it would have got without the coastal influences.

This day 1 month ago I woke to over 15cm of snow!

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

You didn't promise them a snowman did you, FH?:fool::D

They're only 2 weeks late for that ?

Can't be many times of the year you land in London with the same ground temperature you left in Dubai!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

They'll arrive in jackets and complain that it's chilly. :D

It maxed out at 26.5°C - took me by surprise!

Funnily enough they sent me a WhatsApp from Dubai airport and they're wearing sleeves ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Well the last of the snow has finally melted here

After I took it out of the freezer :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

1 month ago:   

20180318_082506_HDR.thumb.jpg.f9d5300ece503a728d9cc697226cd4bf.jpg

Today:

DSCN0591.thumb.JPG.fae371f03deb4184fbcbf4654513589e.JPG

Weird what a month can do! :) 

Edited by Leon1
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
37 minutes ago, offerman said:

Well the last of the snow has finally melted here

After I took it out of the freezer :-) 

A piece I took as a souvenir and out in the freezer is going strong ;)

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Max was 25.4°C here today, the highest April temperature since 2011 when four consecutive days of 23°C+ were followed by 26°C on the 23rd.  Friend returned from a week in Gran Canaria today and said that it was warmer here than there, but they had had similar temperatures for a week, not just two days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
13 minutes ago, Lyn-M said:

Max was 25.4°C here today, the highest April temperature since 2011 when four consecutive days of 23°C+ were followed by 26°C on the 23rd.  Friend returned from a week in Gran Canaria today and said that it was warmer here than there, but they had had similar temperatures for a week, not just two days!

A friend who went to Fuerteventura said it was cloudy and just 16C for 3 days! Shocking.

Posted
13 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

There is nothing better to me as an "amateur meteorologist" receiving these types of comments. Being 18 and looking to study meteorology these comments are what motivate me to learn more, thank you and hopefully we'll have many more of these events over the coming months.

Happy to be of assistance hehe. Keep it up! Hopefully plenty more good setups this season.

Foggy and cool this morning.

Posted
53 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Happy to be of assistance hehe. Keep it up! Hopefully plenty more good setups this season.

Foggy and cool this morning.

Very dull start, looks like the mist is taking much longer to clear, a little concerned as looks like winds coming off the Bristol Channel towards the Bristol Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extremes

Maxed out at 31.6 IMBY yesterday - I think my screen would benefit from a fresh coat of paint, it is looking decidedly grey :oops:

Capture1.thumb.PNG.285463be2fc4b33420d84cfb0b9e08ef.PNG

Posted

The Sun has broken through, so we've got another cracking day lined up.

@jy- It looks your Red Kite has moved in round here now. Took these last night. It roosted in the trees about 100 yards away from the back garden and it was back swooping around at 7ish this morning.

P4191202_sm.thumb.jpg.ac1166a36a4e3e5a4905575005ecf8c5.jpgP4191203_sm.thumb.jpg.e4e58a6457726525a5a99ff9a46aefad.jpg

The OH says that she's been telling me it's been here for a week, or so and that I really should listen. At least I think that's what she said.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Very dull start, looks like the mist is taking much longer to clear, a little concerned as looks like winds coming off the Bristol Channel towards the Bristol Area.

Thank you cold SSTs! Rather disappointing isn't it - oh well, got plenty of university work to be getting on with.