Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Looks like the latest GFS has now come up with Beast from the East 3  - The Return!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

This is insane...216-574UK.thumb.gif.ff79ea1579efdf84b008007267246fea.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
2 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

did somebody move the M4 south?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

did somebody move the M4 south?

Looks like it's been moved to France. :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

I am reminded of dry summers where people wish for rain. It then rains for weeks on end and those same people moan it's too much.

It's the same now with cold/snow ; many of us wished for it, we've had 2 epic spells and now more is possible towards Easter some (including me) don't want it!

Also, those of us in the Points West region are so fortunate to have Ian Fergusson and John Hammond regularly doing live forecasts. John Hammond hinted at a cold Easter weekend 10 minutes ago.

From the various people I've spoken to, they're less interested in more snow because it's March and now want spring. Had we had this in January it would probably liven up an otherwise cold dull month.

As a weather enthusiast, however, I'll take more snow if we're going to get the cold anyway. Just having rain and temperatures between 0-5C at Easter sounds like... well... Christmas haha!

• Like 5

Posted

Lunchtime temperatures on Thurs 29th, just for a laugh ?

210-778UK.thumb.gif.3d77789d8888fe082c9eeb1ac4be34af.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
5 hours ago, That ECM said:

Snowman still going but snow Bunny is 2 sticks and 2 socks????

IMG_2434.JPG

Ar no! Bunnnnnnnny! ?

Only the Beast Part 3 may be able to save him ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I'm probably 50/50 now on whether I want another big freeze or a sunny warm-up, but I or any of the rest of us have no control over the weather. Best to just enjoy what we get.  Enter the GFS 18z, charts T210:

gfs-1-210.png?18

gfs-0-210.png?18

Absolutely insane charts for the time of year.  But there is something else that is relevant here, temperatures in the North Sea. Very low temperatures here will make it easier for cold air to get to the UK if the wind is right? I can't remember sea temperature of 3C before.

sstuk.gif

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, wiltshire weather said:

Looks like the latest GFS has now come up with Beast from the East 3  - The Return!

Or maybe looking at some of those charts tonight - Beast from the East 3 - The Return to Snowmageddon .......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Arsenè MkII hanging round like a bad smell..... true to form :angry::D

CAABC0B4-CCB6-4F41-BBA0-B0E91AC8EEB2.thumb.png.483730d9297c158d6ba2e4c7a63cc71e.png

Just clocked -2.3c so another frost to the collection. Now off to Birmingham, yay me ?‍♂️

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

Beast 3 or not. My chitted potatoes are going in the ground!

We're off to North Wales over Easter, but our pet sitter hates driving in the snow.

Thinking of calling off the trip if it gets that bad.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Uncle Gargy said:

Beast 3 or not. My chitted potatoes are going in the ground!

We're off to North Wales over Easter, but our pet sitter hates driving in the snow.

Thinking of calling off the trip if it gets that bad.

Will be starting some of the early's off in pots today. They'll be slightly sheltered as well. They can't wait for planting much longer. I've lost my Broad Beans - two E'stly Beasts too many. Need to re-sow. Forcing some Rhubarb also..

• Like 1

Posted

Mornin All, currently 1.6C after an overnight low of -1.6C. Bright sunny start, clear blue sky looking out over the channel shows some sea mist..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Decent frost over night with snow frozen but expect majority left to melt today. Cold spell still on cards though.. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Erm.....my previous spouting about cold rain my be a little wide of the mark looking at the latest output. 3rd snowy spell anyone?

Still snow on the ground in places here. 

Got down to -2.7c overnight

Spring it aint

• Like 3

Posted

A bit late but we had an additional 8cm or so of powdery snow by Monday morning, bringing the depth on one car to 18cm, possibly slightly from blowing off roofs but it was at least 15-16cm on the coldest surfaces.

It was surprising how much it reduced in the sunshine on Monday though.. and yesterday it mostly went apart from drifts/shaded remnants. 
It actually seemed to drift more than the 1st March locally (though it had a bit longer without the freezing rain), I didn't see it being whipped up off the fields at home then like it was on Monday Morning for a while.

Here are some pictures I've got round to sorting. 

The 1st pic is the start of the main snow on a local hill, at which point I decided it was a good idea to go home. Pictures 2-5 are at home on Sunday/Monday, and picture 6 is drifts on the same local hill later on Monday.

5ab2150519b3e_Startofsnoweasthill3.thumb.jpg.a139ecac412f63068edc7ae8bae60afc.jpg5ab21516f14b3_Heavysnow.thumb.jpg.1770a3f04db6e428215daf371b651940.jpg5ab21512110be_frontview2.thumb.jpg.2010fa0a84a227eb384cdc8a26d21759.jpg5ab21508b7b59_Depthview.thumb.jpg.de07fe5b37a8f8bd5d2343ba31ebb4ca.jpg5ab215200df21_localdrifting.thumb.jpg.febf10279bb5859aa3cb9c58494e1e7b.jpg5ab2150cd87ee_EastHilldrifts.thumb.jpg.c19cb91f8d060bd38176431228f302d0.jpg

Also it was nice beach weather at Sidmouth :)

5ab2151bbce21_JacobsLaddersnow.thumb.jpg.b61aeb870e8c63c0d9020ad5aeaf43dd.jpg5ab2152ba3d1f_Sidmouthview2.thumb.jpg.27cc9588eb80b47acb76d8495781c819.jpg5ab21527796c7_Sidmouthdrifts.thumb.jpg.9a0845347579f94d417b2af8f8925940.jpg

I'd say this event gave more snow than the 1st March on the best surfaces (but showed the difference with warmer ground/road temps at lower levels)

Min of -3.4C yesterday and today with the ground nice and cold now lol.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 9

Posted
57 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Erm.....my previous spouting about cold rain my be a little wide of the mark looking at the latest output. 3rd snowy spell anyone?

Still snow on the ground in places here. 

Got down to -2.7c overnight

Spring it aint

I’m ignoring it at the moment, mainly because I’m still bloody shattered ?, if it shows still come Sunday, I might engage owl ? mode! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning, cold, clear and frosty start here, a perfect winter morning. Just popped in the Mad thread, no sign of spring just further chances of cold, more cold and snow with talk of a repeat of early December 2010 for down here. Beginning to feel like someone has turned the country round 180 degrees. When spring does eventually arrive everything will turn green incredibly quickly, all those still dormant buds will burst awake in just a few days and quickly make up for lost time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I’m ignoring it at the moment, mainly because I’m still bloody shattered ?, if it shows still come Sunday, I might engage owl ? mode! 

You'll crack by Friday if them charts still hold interest by then

9 hours ago, wiltshire weather said:

Lunchtime temperatures on Thurs 29th, just for a laugh ?

210-778UK.thumb.gif.3d77789d8888fe082c9eeb1ac4be34af.gif

9 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

I'm probably 50/50 now on whether I want another big freeze or a sunny warm-up, but I or any of the rest of us have no control over the weather. Best to just enjoy what we get.  Enter the GFS 18z, charts T210:

gfs-1-210.png?18

gfs-0-210.png?18

Absolutely insane charts for the time of year.  But there is something else that is relevant here, temperatures in the North Sea. Very low temperatures here will make it easier for cold air to get to the UK if the wind is right? I can't remember sea temperature of 3C before.

sstuk.gif

Yes, it's a fascinating pattern and overall set up with repeated cold incursions to come for a few more weeks yet until a "likely" big change later in April to a mostly dry, fine and warm finish to spring and into early summer. The general pattern is entirely plausible and very much in line with my recent thoughts which will be included in my long MOD post for late tomorrow to be entitled "Looking Ahead to Easter and Beyond".. I do think that GFS are over egging the low temps and the snow a little. The SSTs are extremely low for late March but they are usually at their lowest during March (sometimes late Feb and sometimes early April - depending upon prevailing winds and near surface air temps). We have seen lower ones following all our severe winters and mid-April 2013 matched these values). Unfortunately, the Meteooceil archive charts only go back for 3 years but I'll see if I can find another source. From my personal records (taken from weather reports at the time) March 1962, 1963, 1965, 1969 and 1970 all saw much lower values. The Arctic sea ice extent was over 50% greater back then and hugged the north Iceland shores by the end of most winters.  In late March and early April 1969 following a very cold and mostly northerly February, mini ice bergs were seen off the north Scottish coast and endangered shipping north of Shetland. The north North Sea had SSTs close to 0c then!    David :)  

Posted
38 minutes ago, festivalking said:

You'll crack by Friday if them charts still hold interest by then

You know my ways well lol ..... so weak ?‍♂️