Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
15 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Why wait until actual Easter ?GFS says let’s kick things off a week Tomorrow :pardon:

3C7F3220-C91A-4977-8D91-4BAE76FB210A.thumb.png.bc81f50197fe88cbe304bc405a0d08e1.png83DB81FD-5BDB-43A4-97AC-E4A60CE1E2A8.thumb.png.a20338a9556425337d61912a3080dc45.png

not that I’m looking or am remotely interested yet :nonono:

Looks quite shortlived on this run with the cold being shunted away again the next day and milder weather moving in from the west.

Edit: Although the cold then gets pulled back across again a few days later!

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
22 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Looks quite shortlived on this run with the cold being shunted away again the next day and milder weather moving in from the west.

Lots of different evolutions now for Easter (in fact as Karlos1983 mentions differences even before then), so I would say a cold, snowy spell is still very much a possibility but not so much as it was looking like this morning!

Will be interesting to see what the ECM does later.

This is obviously going to chop and change a lot over the coming days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
17 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

I fear for April I really do... obviously snow shouldn’t be an issue, but I think the word “Mild” may be used infrequently. I’m at 36 frosts now since the start of winter, wonder what I’ll end at when the final frost lands.. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, jethro said:

Depends where you're moving them from and what the temperature differential is, if you're moving them from a windowsill in a centrally heated house out to an unheated greenhouse, I'd say not yet. We're still getting sharp frosts so an unheated greenhouse will get down to nigh on freezing. Not sure what you mean by chitted parsnips? I've always sown direct out doors because as a general rule, tap roots don't like being disturbed and you get better results, I never sow before the middle of April, the earlier you sow parsnips, the greater the chance of getting canker. There's no point in sowing them in cold, wet ground, wait until the soil warms up and they grow quicker and healthier. Don't pull the broad beans out, they will have put on a good root system and even though the cold has checked them, if they shoot again (which they should) they'll still be earlier to crop than any you sow now.

That's exactly what I was looking for, Jethro. Heaps of thanks. People in the youtube gardening community seem to be starting their Parsnips now - by chitting the seeds on wet paper towels. The reason for this is that Parsnips have poor germination rates (supposedly) so the chitted seeds are sown instead.

Yes, I'll see what the B Beans do - like you say, they may very well come back. 

It's been a lovely day today and feeling warm in the Sunshine. I've started some early potatoes in pots. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

That's exactly what I was looking for, Jethro. Heaps of thanks. People in the youtube gardening community seem to be starting their Parsnips now - by chitting the seeds on wet paper towels. The reason for this is that Parsnips have poor germination rates (supposedly) so the chitted seeds are sown instead.

It's been a lovely day today and feeling warm in the Sunshine. I've started some early potatoes in pots. Fingers crossed.

Start parsnips off in small plugs in propagator then plant out small, they like warm germination then they are fine.

Problem is the cold ground at the moment if you get a mild week in feb you can get away with germination but cold ground they just rot so cheat... :hi:

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Start parsnips off in small plugs in propagator then plant out small, they like warm germination then they are fine.

Problem is the cold ground at the moment if you get a mild week in feb you can get away with germination but cold ground they just rot so cheat... :hi:

Its a timing thing. Also, legginess prevention. That's why I asked. Very grateful for your help. Great to have gardeners here. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, EllyTech said:

Its a timing thing. Also, legginess prevention. That's why I asked. Very grateful for your help. Great to have gardeners here. :D

leginess is mainly lack of light just keep them cool outside in full light once they germinate. :good:

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

*a pin drops*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks like the first frost free night since last week tonight if the forecasts are to be believed. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Yup its gorne quiet, they'll be back if the Easter cold firms up

Posted

3.1C here, no frost tonight, be to cloudy like!! So is the cold coming or what :unknw::spiteful:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

2.0c here. Could we squeeze in a frost?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

3.1C here, no frost tonight, be to cloudy like!! So is the cold coming or what :unknw::spiteful:

Computer says.....?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
4 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Computer says.....?

image.thumb.jpeg.d307fdc162f20d2c91d42d389fc1bd5c.jpeg

Posted

Stunning Sprinter day with a sharp frost then virtually unbroken sunshine. Now a lovely night with setting crescent moon. The snow on the Western edge of Salisbury Plain looked great earlier.

Posted

what sort of time should the 'pub run' as they call it roll out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
5 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Now ??

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

It’s not pretty this evening, cold rain then warm rain :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I vote for NO rain. :aggressive:

• Like 1

Posted

Well the pub run has excelled itself again:

Rain to snow on Thurs 29th:

Modele GFS - Carte prévisions

Snow to rain on Sat 31st:

Turning back to snow on Sunday 1st 

gfs-2-252.png?18

And then snow somewhere in our region pretty much every day through to Friday 6th including a nationwide snow event on Tues 3rd (which carries on into Weds 4th):

gfs-2-312.png?18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
4 hours ago, EllyTech said:

I don't know what they've been doing with their parsnips then because they come up like mustard and cress, you'd be really hard pushed to not get them to germinate. I'm going to disagree with NK and say don't sow them indoors. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from doing it. The modern varieties mature much quicker and the taste nowadays is for smaller, sweeter parsnips, the days of planting as early as possible in order to get the longest possible growing season in order to grow humungous ones is long gone. Wait until the soil is warm, then sow direct outside, if you've got stony ground or clay soil mound the row up, the higher you build it, the greater depth they'll have to grow before hitting clay/stones and you'll get better roots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
25 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Well the pub run has excelled itself again:

Rain to snow on Thurs 29th:

Snow to rain on Sat 31st:

Turning back to snow on Sunday 1st 

gfs-2-252.png?18

And then snow somewhere in our region pretty much every day through to Friday 6th including a nationwide snow event on Tues 3rd (which carries on into Weds 4th):

gfs-2-312.png?18

Not liking the sound of that.

Posted
51 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Computer says no you must have viewed a different pub run to me! It shows several potential snow events in SW England and Southern & Central England. Great stuff. :crazy:

Edited by Daniel*