Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 hour ago, jethro said:

Morning, cold, clear and frosty start here, a perfect winter morning. Just popped in the Mad thread, no sign of spring just further chances of cold, more cold and snow with talk of a repeat of early December 2010 for down here. Beginning to feel like someone has turned the country round 180 degrees. When spring does eventually arrive everything will turn green incredibly quickly, all those still dormant buds will burst awake in just a few days and quickly make up for lost time.

Still too risky to put seedlings into a cold greenhouse? What about planting out chitted Parsnips. Any advice gladly appreciated. :) The Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans didn't make it.. they could still spurt up some new foliage but their current growth is destroyed. It was the -14 windchill that did the damage from the first bad Beast. Everything has its limit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Still fighting to the death

5bde546e78212b872ceaa23a170c0365.jpg

Put an umbrella over him, your challenge is to keep him alive until the next beast

Posted

Talk of another cold spell at Easter - ideally nothing too severe down here as we are so reliant on tourism. Anything that stops people travelling will have a massive knock-on effect for many local people and businesses.

So on that basis alone, I say do one!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Was it Italy last year and Greece the year before, 3 or 4 very snowy cold spells, this year our turn? Rinse repeat... my bones hurt I want some warmth. It’s lovely in the sun today! 

• Like 1

Posted

Still some impressive (for the altitude) drifts remain over the New Forest in places, heading north to Brum (passenger not driving). Snow still around in patches but mainly just drifts left now. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Still fighting to the death

5bde546e78212b872ceaa23a170c0365.jpg

Do what we did when the children were small. We kept a miniature snowman in the freezer for nearly four years. Well you never know when you're going to see another one do you ?⛄⛄⛄⛄

Posted

Beautiful day here. A reminder that the rules for upper air/surface air temperature in full sunshine are now changing. Uppers still minus 5 ish, but wouldn't be surprised to see a maximum of 12C here later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Lovely morning here, blue sky, sunshine and 7degC.

Lovely weather for walking the dog.

Almost all the snow has gone except some of the larger drifts still in the shade.

As for our snowman, building him in the shady part of the garden has helped keep him fairly intact, wonder if he can last until Easter?

20180321_110255.thumb.jpg.49366769ab037b216aa4e236c2b63305.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, wiltshire weather said:

Lovely morning here, blue sky, sunshine and 7degC.

Lovely weather for walking the dog.

Almost all the snow has gone except some of the larger drifts still in the shade.

As for our snowman, building him in the shady part of the garden has helped keep him fairly intact, wonder if he can last until Easter?

He’s looking a bit ropey! Might need to prop him up lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

He’s looking a bit ropey! Might need to prop him up lol

He is looking a bit sad now for sure!

I think maybe by tomorrow he will just be a hat, scarf and carrot on the ground!

Posted
10 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Looks good, we will have to remember to do that next time. We built ours in the same few square yards of lawn which are in the sun from 09.00-15.00 now lol. This time I won't bore everyone with gradual reduction pictures!

Posted

If you've ventured into the MAD thread or checked out the latest model runs, you will have picked up by now that most of the main models that go out that far are now hinting at some sort of cold easterly/northerly incursion around Easter.

The GFS has watered it down from last nights bonkers pub run but something wintry still looks very much on the cards.

Easter Sunday charts on the GFS 6Z this morning:

gfs-1-276.png?6 gfs-2-276.png?6 gfs-0-252.png?6

Not what many are hoping to see for Easter (including me!) but not much we can do about it!

Edited by wiltshire weather
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

If you've ventured into the MAD thread or checked out the latest model runs, you will have picked up by now that most of the main models that go out that far are now hinting at some sort of cold easterly/northerly incursion around Easter.

The GFS has watered it down from last nights bonkers pub run but something wintry still looks very much on the cards.

Easter Sunday charts on the GFS 6Z this morning:

gfs-1-276.png?6 gfs-2-276.png?6 gfs-0-252.png?6

Not what many are hoping to see for Easter (including me!) but not much we can do about it!

My bet now is that the models will drop the idea or depth of cold, before running with it again a couple of days later... 

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

My bet now is that the models will drop the idea or depth of cold, before running with it again a couple of days later... 

I think so too, but whatever your preference for the type of weather, it certainly makes it interesting watching how it unfolds, just like the last two.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

10.8°C here and similar to yesterday with a cloudy morning followed by a sunnier afternoon so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Couple of photos taken by my brother down at st aldhelms head in purbeck. My old stomping ground very rare to get decent snow on the coast.

Some of the drifts driving out to the head were as big as his landy. Got stuck twice managed to rock the landy off

IMG-20180319-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20180319-WA0021.jpg

Edited by festivalking
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
18 minutes ago, don1 said:

Lands End looking toasty. :D

Capture.PNG

With 2% humidity? :rofl:

Posted

Must be word of beak because all of a sudden lovely Bullfinches and Chaffinches have appeared,really lovely birds,Long Tailed Tits are a mad bunch,without warning mobs of them appear,then like a bad ECM in the Mad thread they just go missing again,the lonely Fieldfare has turned up with his mates,what lovely birds they are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
6 hours ago, EllyTech said:

Still too risky to put seedlings into a cold greenhouse? What about planting out chitted Parsnips. Any advice gladly appreciated. :) The Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans didn't make it.. they could still spurt up some new foliage but their current growth is destroyed. It was the -14 windchill that did the damage from the first bad Beast. Everything has its limit. 

Depends where you're moving them from and what the temperature differential is, if you're moving them from a windowsill in a centrally heated house out to an unheated greenhouse, I'd say not yet. We're still getting sharp frosts so an unheated greenhouse will get down to nigh on freezing. Not sure what you mean by chitted parsnips? I've always sown direct out doors because as a general rule, tap roots don't like being disturbed and you get better results, I never sow before the middle of April, the earlier you sow parsnips, the greater the chance of getting canker. There's no point in sowing them in cold, wet ground, wait until the soil warms up and they grow quicker and healthier. Don't pull the broad beans out, they will have put on a good root system and even though the cold has checked them, if they shoot again (which they should) they'll still be earlier to crop than any you sow now.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
13 minutes ago, jy said:

Must be word of beak because all of a sudden lovely Bullfinches and Chaffinches have appeared,really lovely birds,Long Tailed Tits are a mad bunch,without warning mobs of them appear,then like a bad ECM in the Mad thread they just go missing again,the lonely Fieldfare has turned up with his mates,what lovely birds they are.

Can I round up all the Gold finches and post them to you please? The buggers were all lined up today eyeing my espalier pears, judging the moment when they can come and peck off the flowers. Bloody things!

Posted

Why wait until actual Easter ?GFS says let’s kick things off a week Tomorrow :pardon:

3C7F3220-C91A-4977-8D91-4BAE76FB210A.thumb.png.bc81f50197fe88cbe304bc405a0d08e1.png83DB81FD-5BDB-43A4-97AC-E4A60CE1E2A8.thumb.png.a20338a9556425337d61912a3080dc45.png

not that I’m looking or am remotely interested yet :nonono:

• Like 1