Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
59 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Lovely day out. So warm in the sun most the snow is gone here but still looks thick on the tops of the moor. Road closed signs still adorn the road to Princetown. Whisper it but I kind of want some warmer weather so I can go out biking with the little one. Up to 5c.

Can't believe I just heard that ??. Just come back from the back of Burrator. Beautiful. Sun, snow and drifts. Perfect ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Talking of spring, I saw someone cutting their grass this afternoon. Most of the grass still had plenty of snow on it at the time.  :cold:

Most of the snow has gone from the grass now but still quite a few big patches left. 

I used to work at a top end hotel local to here, one couple got married and were really upset it had snowed, didn't want snowy wedding pics. No accounting for some people but we had to put collection boxes on the tractor mowers and literally clear the entire landscape, what we couldn't get rid of that way we had to hose off. Bonkers!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
6 minutes ago, jethro said:

I used to work at a top end hotel local to here, one couple got married and were really upset it had snowed, didn't want snowy wedding pics. No accounting for some people but we had to put collection boxes on the tractor mowers and literally clear the entire landscape, what we couldn't get rid of that way we had to hose off. Bonkers!

Sacrilege !!! Were they Canadian or something? Because I could understand that, but no other excuse :nonono:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
11 minutes ago, jethro said:

I treated myself to a new camera, it's lovely to use. Had a choice between fancy, expensive phone (which I manage to break really quickly) or a decent camera and cheap phone, took the latter option. If you get the chance head up to Priddy/Charterhouse, it's stunning up there.

Two week cut off.....with the way things have gone and the way things are looking, reckon it might be a bit longer this year. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind ;-)

It is not hard to imagine how easily you could end up with 20/30ft drifts over hills in cold winters like records speak of when we can see this from a short cold snap in spring.. :)

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Sacrilege !!! Were they Canadian or something? Because I could understand that, but no other excuse :nonono:

Lol. Nope, just very odd. I learnt one thing above anything else when working there, if you have pots and pots of money you can indulge your every whim and many did, it seemed the richer they were the more peculiar they felt they could be.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nights King said:

It is not hard to imagine how easily you could end up with 20/30ft drifts over hills in cold winters like records speak of when we can see this from a short cold snap in spring.. :)

I'm old enough to have seen some of those mythical drifts, mid 1980's living in Northamptonshire and the drifts were taller than coaches, took weeks to clear.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Lol. Nope, just very odd. I learnt one thing above anything else when working there, if you have pots and pots of money you can indulge your every whim and many did, it seemed the richer they were the more peculiar they felt they could be.

Money is evil, it changes people! Health is your wealth! I’m very rich! 3 beautiful kids and the wife ain’t bad either I guess! :pardon:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

I'm old enough to have seen some of those mythical drifts, mid 1980's living in Northamptonshire and the drifts were taller than coaches, took weeks to clear.

They should designate it a protected drift :rofl:

Maybe start a mendip snow patch count :D

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Money is evil, it changes people! Health is your wealth! I’m very rich! 3 beautiful kids and the wife ain’t bad either I guess! :pardon:

Did they inherit the snow madness gene from you? :crazy:

Terible plight for anyone... :lazy:

Edited by Nights King

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I think there it was the killer combination of wealth and fame, it's a private members club and favourite haunt of celebs, from A listers down to z lister wannabees. They weren't all awful, many were lovely but there's a fair sprinkling of rich and famous household names that I personally wouldn't give the time of day to having had to deal with them there.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Did they inherit the snow madness gene from you? :crazy:

Terible plight for anyone... :lazy:

There’s a real danger! Lol especially with the youngest, he’s completely hooked! When the snow started on Saturday he insisted on going out and running in it, who was I to say No lol 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, jethro said:

It is beautiful around here, you should come and explore the area, towns, cities and countryside is all lovely. What part of Somerset is your granddad from?

It's on my mums side and she doesn't know too much about them.. She said he was a hard worker but very strict.  He was serving in the war when he met my nan in the Seychelles.. I know his name was Richard Amesbury so I will explore that side of the family when I get a chance. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Truth. Healthy mind, healthy body and you're minted

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
4 hours ago, jordan smith said:

Yesterday was my birthday I am 19 now and I’ve never seen snow on my birthday which was very special:yahoo:

Amazing! Happy birthday for yesterday! I remember snow on my birthday once.. it was 18 years ago ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Back from my trip to Salisbury.. did I miss much?

Snow here is gone on the pavements, still lots on the side of the road, on the patio, roof, porch and grass; and there's some ice on the driveway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

I built a snowman for the grandkids in a nice shady part of the garden, hopefully, it will last a bit longer that way :D

20180319_112005.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Truth. Healthy mind, healthy body and you're minted

Too spooky. It was just this afternoon I had a conversation saying the same thing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Saw this outside Salisbury Cathedral

CB533182-283C-42DB-A31E-4BEB9B40EF86.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

What a beautiful day it's been at Headley court military rehab facility. Cold and crisp and a slight thaw through the day. Was walking around the gardens and the sun was lovely and warm. Looking forward to a nice warm spring now. The end of winter 17/18 has been memorable ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Snowdog!

20180319_084746.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
44 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I feel the need for a review post.  A bit like when I was at university, the best nights out were never complete until the post-mortem the next morning! 

I have loved this winter.  Context is no snow of any significance here since Jan 2013.  Here we've had three massive events:
1. 10th December - best snowfall in Wantage for 7 years, 10-15 cm, and 10 miles south (yes the M4!) just rain.  Maybe not the best thread to mention this one!
2. Beast #1 - as a model addict, the build up to this was just epic - I was a very occasional poster on Netweather until this.  Bone-chilling cold, early snow prone to sublimation, then the Emma storm, and drifting powder snow.
3. Beast #2 - don't like the term mini-beast - this was proper severe weather even if it was a shorter spell.  8-10cm snow here, more than Beast #1, lasted longer too. 

What did we learn from the models:
ICON not to be discounted, it's a decent model and showed really good consistency at times.
HIRLAM seems the most reliable of the short term models at resolving precipitation. Including the convective element.
All the models, coupled with knowledge of the science re the SSW meant the Feb and March events were predicable from long range - just amazing.

Thanks to all for the great posts, I've loved reading them, will be back at the hint of a plume, heat wave, thunder set up, or next winter.

Best regards to all

Mike

PS:

:cold:

image.thumb.jpg.b0665bb610780948e971823b2acf5685.jpg

Yep....will be back searching for heat waves and summer storms :D

• Like 1

Posted

That's something unusual for us - no snow anywhere showing up on the radar :nonono:

image.thumb.png.a9014e78450fd8e6a13c03360f022359.png