Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, RAIN RAIN RAIN said:

What a lovely few days. Ice day yesterday, more snow at night, and brilliant sunshine today. I much prefer the snowmelt to occur in sunshine than the grey murky cack we had last time! 

Hopefully a satellite got a nice image of the south of the UK covered in snow :) If someone finds one please do share  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Sorry didn’t have time post this this morning, worried about getting to work which was at times a bit squeaky bum!! 

My car was cleaned off before last nights snow fall, there’s a good  covering. 4-5cm at a guess?

73295D47-92AD-401C-890E-6F9EEC9D76AB.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
1 hour ago, festivalking said:

A couple of photos from here today. First one of a drift covering the road on yennadon down and the 2nd is the road to princetown coming up from dousland. I spotted 3 cars under snow and many more abandoned. The wind up here was brutal and snow is still being pushed about into drifts!!

Amazing photos!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and stormy, cold and icy!

Currently in Fareham and without doubt it’s an ice day for the moment here at least but see clearer skies to the north which should start to thaw out the remaining ice and snow.

Edited by Mr Bartlettazores

Posted
4 minutes ago, fromey said:

Sorry didn’t have time post this this morning, worried about getting to work which was at times a bit squeaky bum!! 

My car was cleaned off before last nights snow fall, there’s a good  covering. 4-5cm at a guess?

73295D47-92AD-401C-890E-6F9EEC9D76AB.jpeg

Sorry to have to tell you this. But I'm afraid somebody appears to have vandalised your number plate. :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Hopefully a satellite got a nice image of the south of the UK covered in snow :) If someone finds one please do share  

yes, i've always wanted to see only the south of the UK covered on the maps

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It might only be 1.8°C with no sun as yet but already a serious thaw has taken place. Not sure how much will be left by the end of the day. 

DF3CDEBE-2609-42AD-A844-47C1C1D370AE.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
18 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

To post in the north west thread obviously!

Posted

I saw someone post yesterday that they felt sorry for the Channel Islands missing out, especially Jersey........ Clearly they weren't alive in March 2013!!! Nothing personal, but I've gone off the Channel Islands since then, not sure I can undo that, sorry not sorry :nonono:

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

now that the systems have all pulled away, I'm registering my coldest DP's of this cold spell, dropping off quite dramatically! Temperature risen to 3.2C, the thaw is on big time!!

Posted

Question keeps running round my head is can these 2 brilliant winter spells be repeated in the winters to come. I do hope so in the back of my mind this weekend I was thinking I must really make the most as we might not see this for another god knows how many years. Then some really dark thoughts entered....the last March similar to this was of course March 2013 anyone remember the winter of 13/14? No neither did I unless you liked storms (well i do actually) but anyway as I say dark thoughts!!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Question keeps running round my head is can these 2 brilliant winter spells be repeated in the winters to come. I do hope so in the back of my mind this weekend I was thinking I must really make the most as we might not see this for another god knows how many years. Then some really dark thoughts entered....the last March similar to this was of course March 2013 anyone remember the winter of 13/14? No neither did I unless you liked storms (well i do actually) but anyway as I say dark thoughts!!!

yes it was a tad windy  but the summer was not too bad although did not get going until mid july and into august with warm temps into nov.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
15 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Not sure but it might have been too cloudy this morning to get a decent shot and a lot of the snow has melted around here now.

However, pulled this off the NW radar (1st image) with the latest visible satellite image loaded and I think the whiter areas are where there is currently still snow.

The 2nd pic is a zoomed in satellite image from Meteociel. Looks like theres a lot of cloud over SE England so is difficult to make what is snow and what is cloud.

Not very clear I know, hopefully someone can find something better!

image.thumb.png.ef681edd9513ab382a238c2cb0d5db8b.png

image.thumb.png.3c3fd46431fdf0cf7eda909ef9c16e03.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I saw someone post yesterday that they felt sorry for the Channel Islands missing out, especially Jersey........ Clearly they weren't alive in March 2013!!! Nothing personal, but I've gone off the Channel Islands since then, not sure I can undo that, sorry not sorry :nonono:

Yes March 2013 was a good one!  Mega! But we missed the one two weeks ago just a small amount compared to Alderney, though they rarely do get snow, so it was great they had some for a change,and even Guernsey was better. Last night it did snow a small covering, nothing on the roads stuck though, but it’s melted now and we have the odd flake on the wind. It was frustrating to watch the radar and see it all but be in a gap and miss out on the substantial majority of it. Similar to two weeks ago too.

Will it be a White Rabbit to come? Perhaps third time lucky? We shall see! 

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, khodds said:

JACKPOT!! That’s my birthday!! 

6 hours ago, khodds said:

JACKPOT!! That’s my birthday!! 

Yesterday was my birthday I am 19 now and I’ve never seen snow on my birthday which was very special:yahoo:

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Oregon Scientific WMR-88 I have had for a few years now and it’s been fantastic. They have upgraded them now as well since I got mine, so I’m considering an upgrade in the next 12 months. About £100-£150 depending where you buy from. You won’t go wrong with mendip weather, the customer service is 2nd to none. ?

Thanks. Looks like the updated model is the WMR-89 (or at least that's the one Mendip sell) so will go for that one. Just under £100 too so a bargain!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Thanks. Looks like the updated model is the WMR-89 (or at least that's the one Mendip sell) so will go for that one. Just under £100 too so a bargain!

https://www.mendipweather.co.uk/brands-66046/oregon-scientific-65984/oregon-scientific-unv800-ultra-violet-index-sensor-for-the-wmr-series

You can also add that to it. :)

• Thanks 2

Posted

Complete thaw here; a few patches of snow in back garden where sun doesnt get to.

Drove up A38 earlier and villages like Stone and Falfield in S Glos fared pretty well - some quite large drifts in fields and sideroads. 

As i posted last night my snow/cold benchmark Winter for here is 78/79 for the whole of a winter, but these two events in March stand out for any March in my lifetime for our neck of the woods (remember for Bristol March 13 was coldish but bone dry).

Cheers all. One suspects that is it for snow until next Winter.

• Like 2

Posted

Image may contain: snow, sky, car, outdoor and nature

Latest on the road to princetown not much of a thaw just yet!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please
28 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Complete thaw here; a few patches of snow in back garden where sun doesnt get to.

Drove up A38 earlier and villages like Stone and Falfield in S Glos fared pretty well - some quite large drifts in fields and sideroads. 

As i posted last night my snow/cold benchmark Winter for here is 78/79 for the whole of a winter, but these two events in March stand out for any March in my lifetime for our neck of the woods (remember for Bristol March 13 was coldish but bone dry).

Cheers all. One suspects that is it for snow until next Winter.

You must have been very unlucky in March 13 then, up in Dursley we had good snow that month, if memory serves, snow was on the ground for best part of a week.

Posted
2 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Image may contain: snow, sky, car, outdoor and nature

Latest on the road to princetown not much of a thaw just yet!!!

I can't quite get my head around why anyone with half a brain would even attempt to go up there in a car when it's snowing like that!! Numpties!