Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
On 17/03/2018 at 08:52, EllyTech said:

Have a look around the net for a local AWS. Plenty of people have them. 

Just started looking for a weather station to replace my rather limited temperature/humidity remote sensor.

EllyTech mentioned a local AWS but that seems to be just the generic type of thing to look for as far as I can see with a quick search, anyone have a recommendation for specific models/makes to look at?

TIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Sun is now out but im still hanging onto that ice day -0.3c :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

A couple of photos from here today. First one of a drift covering the road on yennadon down and the 2nd is the road to princetown coming up from dousland. I spotted 3 cars under snow and many more abandoned. The wind up here was brutal and snow is still being pushed about into drifts!! 

28701358_10155321576400841_6254481805485144051_o.jpg

28827965_10155321396890841_4903729568461962687_o.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

GFSENS06_51_-2_205.pngincreasing amount gets down to -10 850hpa temperature compared to the 0z. looking good so far. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 minutes ago, wiltshire weather said:

Just started looking for a weather station to replace my rather limited temperature/humidity remote sensor.

EllyTech mentioned a local AWS but that seems to be just the generic type of thing to look for as far as I can see with a quick search, anyone have a recommendation for specific models/makes to look at?

TIA

Oregon Scientific WMR-88 I have had for a few years now and it’s been fantastic. They have upgraded them now as well since I got mine, so I’m considering an upgrade in the next 12 months. About £100-£150 depending where you buy from. You won’t go wrong with mendip weather, the customer service is 2nd to none. ?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

We often see people say ‘it’ll only be a 2-3 day cold snap then a return to mild’. Well if they were all like this one would we be complaining?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter
18 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

OK, just one more thing. 

Are you Columbo ? :D

Seriously though thanks for all your efforts it has been fascinating to read.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, festivalking said:

A couple of photos from here today. First one of a drift covering the road on yennadon down and the 2nd is the road to princetown coming up from dousland. I spotted 3 cars under snow and many more abandoned. The wind up here was brutal and snow is still being pushed about into drifts!! 

28701358_10155321576400841_6254481805485144051_o.jpg

28827965_10155321396890841_4903729568461962687_o.jpg

Some good drifts about, apparently snow ploughs are up at princetown trying to clear the snow. Had to abandon the car again and climb snow drifts to get to horses. Loving it! Got my snow ride in yesterday though ? first time in 8 years! 

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun & Snow :)
11 minutes ago, snowponies said:

Some good drifts about, apparently snow ploughs are up at princetown trying to clear the snow. Had to abandon the car again and climb snow drifts to get to horses. Loving it! Got my snow ride in yesterday though ? first time in 8 years! 

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

Wow, i can't believe the difference. I drove back this morning with 8inches at home on the edge of Torbay. Worried i wouldn't get out of my road, the main roads where fine. As soon as i drove past the Ivybridge junction on the A38 it was like driving into spring, totally green. Now sat at my uni digs near derriford hospital would not know what all the fuss was about! Just a dusting here, can imagine what its like up there though as i normally take that route home if i want a scenic drive back! Truly epic couple of days at home though. A weekend that will live long in the memory.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Thaw is starting to commence here.

0.7c :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I see grass. :cray:

Posted

Tropical 2.3C here. Although I wouldn’t advise bare skin, that wind is still brutal!!  filling the car up with Diesel and I burnt 150 Calories shivering  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Thank you David @Bring Back1962-63 but in the nicest possible way I hope we don't see you til next winter! Your posts have been informative and well written and I like the way you take time to explain some of the more technical stuff, but are never patronising nor dismissive of others.Thank you so much for sharing. 

Hovering around 0c here, but thaw is well and truly underway in the sunshine. Have loved this weather, but am ready for spring now. I need my sleep and my body is fed up of being bombarded with alcohol and sugar ????

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I see grass. :cray:

all i can hear is dripping water and the lawn is half green now :(

Edited by Leon1

Posted
1 hour ago, Leon1 said:

anybody else want beast no. 3 'cos i do!

I did. Til I saw the sun come out. Now i'm ready for spring again lol!

Posted
1 hour ago, TropicThunder said:

Temperature is still just below freezing here too, crazy.

2.2c now :-( Bye bye snow. It as amazing having you!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's water appearing everywhere now the ice and snow is melting. Could be a 'mare if the temps drop down fast enough this evening.

Posted

Beautiful Spring afternoon except for the bitter wind and 2.3c temperature lol. Washing out on airers on the patio as the line is above the snow covered but melting boggy lawn!

Posted

If anyone fancies one last hurrah of seeing falling snow they’d better get on a boat and get out into the channel. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, matt111 said:

If anyone fancies one last hurrah of seeing falling snow they’d better get on a boat and get out into the channel. 

Guernsey been doing well today! :santa-emoji: 

• Like 1

What a lovely few days. Ice day yesterday, more snow at night, and brilliant sunshine today. I much prefer the snowmelt to occur in sunshine than the grey murky cack we had last time! 

• Like 4