Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Well we had some proper heavy snow earlier from around 11:00-12:00 :yahoo:Heavier intensity than 'Emma' although not quite as much on the ground. Covered the lane but has turned slushy since so can tell the road temps are higher.

Best depth I can find is 10-11cm on one of our cars, and a few plant posts, and 8-9cm on the lawn.

It got lighter after that and has been a light/very light snow all afternoon.. Actually looks better on radar than reality..
Much heavier on the Dartmoor webcam even though radar shows it just as heavy/heavier here..Possibly because it's kind of grainy snow here, or it's drifting with the wind before it reaches the ground. 

Also a heavier line has been sat about 2 miles to my SW for a while now lol.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

so can someone explain how the snow is thawing even though the temp has been below 0C all day?

Soil / asphalt temperature. We’ve had a milder week and the heat retention will be the main factor. Certainly when it comes to tarmac.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Soil / asphalt temperature. We’ve had a milder week and the heat retention will be the main factor. Certainly when it comes to tarmac.

Interesting I said that and was challenged by a local member of the board who disagreed with the soil warming effect that would happen. I stand vindicated.....

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted

The garden smiled whilst the snow fell, and here's a couple of shots of the fauna:

Acer, Camelia & the fruit tree..

acer1.jpg

camelia.jpg

Fruittree2.jpg

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
1 hour ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Gonna stick my kneck out I'm forever the optimist, I think we are gonna see a second event tonight that's snuck through the back door, you know you all love a back door entrance!!!

Lets hope it's not muddy after the second event exits the backdoor. 

Recon it will still fall as snow through the night?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

I have puddles of water in the road here. The tarmac warmth is no match for the snow. It only settled on roads here because of the sheer precip rate last night.

I think you are right about this. When I went out with the ruler this morning, it was noticeable that there was 9-10cm on the bins and cars, but only 5-6cm on tarmac, albeit with some drifting to higher accumulations.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Interesting I said that and was challenged by a local member of the board who disagreed with the soil warming...

It is true, soil doesn’t retain heat anything like as much as tarmac or water but still, it will have had a bearing.

• Like 1

Posted

Hasn't stopped all day 13 cm on non Tarmac surfaces. I think we'll wait years for a repeat. Wonderful stuff ?

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Looks like I miss this band of heavy snow too :(

Screenshot_20180318-163359.jpg

explains a lot! 

GFSOPUK12_6_6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
50 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Gfs and hirlam look good for most of region south of m4 :D

Sorry... can you just say that again please... :snowman-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

when will that snow in london right now get heavier?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow

Liking the northern extent of the PPN coming from the SE. Backs up what some of the models are suggesting.

I'm going to name my next pet, Hirlam.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!
Just now, MidnightSnow said:

Liking the northern extent of the PPN coming from the SE. Backs up what some of the models are suggesting.

I'm going to name my next pet, Hirlam.

but when will it intensify?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

I have a  feeling we will get the beast mark 3 for Easter, reminds me of that old  song 'I'm dreaming of a white Easter'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
2 hours ago, Jase74 said:

Tavistock has a slight dusting, but seems areas close to the coast have it worse. Just got back from bere Alston and it was heavy snow there when we left. My old stomping ground on Dartmoor might have done well in particular the east side I would have thought

Yep east side is the best place. Been snowing here all day but only laid when we had a heavier burst around lunch. Still 5 hours of snow falling and counting is great!

Posted
16 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

explains a lot! 

GFSOPUK12_6_6.png

Hi @tomjwlx, Is this showing a trough out to the EDIT *WEST* of Land's End and a ridge running from Truro towards Exeter?  If so, has the ridge probably been responsible for killing the PPB in that area?

Edited by Steve Caiels
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

image.thumb.png.842df9a9cfc18a4e1ae20153daaeb16f.pngimage.thumb.png.1be014060abc7a5990d3ec88aefa4b79.png

Evening peeps :)

Looks like things are organsing to our east nicely and we appear to have more snow on the way. The snow band looks set to pivot later on tonight. If the band of snow coming in expands further north then forecast, or the low over the English channel moves south more sluggishly, then this could lead to a decent period of snow. Especially if the precipitation intensifies, it looks rather good already.

Plenty of activity in this band already with the showers moving in the WNW direction. Hopefully more showers keep forming over Belgium and carry on bringing more snow our way!

Cold and windy day here. Not much of a thaw really. Quite a bit of the snow has gone due to the high winds blowing snow about onto the warmer road and path surfaces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Latest radar looks to me to be following the HIRLAM:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Comments in the SE thread look promising, and remember that when it reaches us, it will be dark.  The goat references in the SE thread are disconcerting though.  I can only surmise it's a coping mechanism for the failed Thames streamer :oops:

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
25 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Looks like I miss this band of heavy snow too :(

Screenshot_20180318-163359.jpg

Know that feeling only to well!

Posted

temp now dropping after a high of -0.1c, a late march ice day is great for this part of the country

11 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Yep east side is the best place. Been snowing here all day but only laid when we had a heavier burst around lunch. Still 5 hours of snow falling and counting is great!

Princetown is doing well I believe but it normally does! When I lived up there I couldn't believe the difference between there and Dousland, not to far apart in distance but snow levels at the top of the moor were massively different. Princetown is epic for snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Been watching the radar for areas around Exeter, today they have experienced 7 hours of moderate to heavy snow equivalent to minimum dark blue/green echoes on the radar. Must be some exceptional accumulations down there.