Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Temps rising rapidly now up to 0c expect to hear the drips soon

Posted
4 minutes ago, TQWX said:

Wow - and that was on very wet roads.  Super fine stuff starting to fall here.  I think this is going to be much more dramatic than the Beast Mk1 for this corner of our region.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Amazing how much snow fell and yet it still didn't accumulate on concrete or tarmac lol

20180318_102430_HDR.thumb.jpg.77b478a2f7979bdd4c1e11d1bdce56cc.jpg

Settled nicely on mine to my surprise. Several inches on the grass added to yesterdays accumulation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Really piling up on cars and snow covered surfaces, but the strength of the wind is causing any that lands on the pavement or road to be scuttled along into little drifts

If it’s of any help the wind has gone more southerly in the CI at the moment we have no snow at all here, Alderney a little, all the showers are just running even more east of CI than they were,  then N and W.  Very similar situation to the beast just much warmer this time. 

FA91A26B-1B68-4F20-AEEB-E38FEFD071D1.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun
3 minutes ago, Steve Caiels said:

Wow - and that was on very wet roads.  Super fine stuff starting to fall here.  I think this is going to be much more dramatic than the Beast Mk1 for this corner of our region.

Just heading out now to get pics. Beast 1 doesn't compare at all to this. Definitely the worst snow here since the 80's.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well the was a fun evening!

Went to the local at 7pm then a friend gave us a lift to midsomer norton about 8.30 but the roads in village were already turning white. :crazy: Drove to town and it was clear further down with no settling snow.

Then we decided to get out about mid night but no taxis would take us back up to mendip so we walked all the way home! :drunk-emoji: my legs hurt this morning!

Think we have around 6 inches of snow but again it is hard to say with drifting widely. -2.2c and snizzle now.

I wonder if we shall see more this evening?

• Like 3

A SHORT UPDATE FROM A VERY SNOWY EXMOUTH

Well I spent the last two days telling all of you that almost all of us will see a lot of snow and sticking my neck out by giving depths well above most of those that have been forecast and yet some in my area must have been thinking that I'm just an excitable child ramping it all up. Until half an hour ago, I might have agreed with them....not :D The snow has swept in and it became heavy almost immediately. Mostly the very fine flakes swirling around but occasionally switching to big flakes with drifting. I had about 2 cm from yesterday and last night but this has already doubled. I would say that at this rate it'll be at least 3 cm to 4 cm per hour. The temp had risen to -0.5c before the snow arrived and it's now back to -1.5c. The snow IS settling on the road and pavements. For Exmouth to have an ice day at all is rare but this will be the 4th one this month :) There is a stiff breeze here (I'm at the top of a low hill and 2 miles inland from the coast on the north-east outskirts of Exmouth). Judging by the radar, the satelitte and all my other charts - I expect this to last for up to 12 hours - perhaps longer with 15 cm at the very least and drifts of 30 cm to 50 cm. So, the moors should see 2 to 3 times this amount! I'll get a few pics this afternoon. In the meantime a few more charts - without comments this time (to add to all those that I posted on page 83).  David :)  

NW Radar at 1015 (snipped)                   Live Rain/Snow Radar                                    Live Satelitte                                      Live Infra Red Satetelitte                    Fronts & Troughs at 0700 Sun

5aae3de1b2eb3_1005rad.thumb.PNG.9c38b5171379fc13fe9ab12f6fdf03b5.PNG   lastsnowradar_uk.gif    anim_ir.gif   anim_ir_color.gif  analyse-2018-03-18-06.png

Jet Stream at 0900 GMT Sun                       850s at 0900 GMT Sun                       2 m Temps at 0900 GMT Sun         Dew Point Temps at 0900 GMT Sun         GroundTemps at 0900 GMT Sun     

arpege-9-3-0.png?18-11 arpege-16-3-0.png?18-11 arpege-41-3-0.png?18-11 arpege-18-3-0.png?18-11 3-543UK.GIF?18-6

Wind Speed & Direction at 0900 GMT Sun        Selection of (4) Pay to View Satelitte Images (I have permission to copy them here but I cannot disclose the source or animated them) 

arpege-3-3-0.png?18-11 seviri_nat_snow_20180318_1015.jpg seviri_eurnat_ir10-8_20180318_0900.jpg seviri_nat_rbbottom_20180318_1015.jpg seviri_nat_airmass_20180318_1015.jpg

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I have to say, the NetWx Sr model did extremely well. It didn't entertain the idea of lots of snow in the amber warning area for the SE. It nailed the heavier snow from around the IoW and West.

viewimage-4.thumb.png.dfb47157ce523354c074f978f5bdd1f5.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The first flakes here at Efford- loads of people stocking up on bread at Pike Rd Coop. Looking very snowy sky in the East towards Ivybridge 

Edited by philglossop
  • Like 2

Posted

Completely stopped here. Is that it for up here?

Torquay webcam looks amazing. Know Torquay well; a long weekend haunt of ours a few times a year. Never seen it like it is showing on webcam now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Screenshot_20180318-105324.thumb.png.8d091eea8008ded9dce96e52f30b1c44.png

All cleared away now nothing on the met radar. but to our west it's very different story.

And more likely for Portsmouth anyone know ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun & Snow :)

Chucking it down here on the edge of paignton and laying on everything fast! Heaviest I’ve seen it here in my 25 years. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Surface temperatures are dropping just enough for previously melted roofs to have snow settle, and parts of the road and pavement are starting to go white now

• Like 1

Posted

Well its a snow fest for all, and its so much more fun when everybody in the region can join in. Stopped here of course, but what a wonderland it looks. I find it hard to take in that its 18th March. Its super special for the children to enjoy sledging and snowman-making... How convenient that the weather chose Sunday to drop this on us?

Funniest sight this morning was a guy picking his way through the snow in his shiny shoes, office suit, open blazer, tie flapping, no coat - totally under-dressed. He's obviously not a weather enthusiast!

The wind is spoiling the enjoyment out there just now. Hoping for two things: the wind to drop and a top-up from somewhere.

• Like 2

Posted

5cm of snow here in Reading, the same amount as we had from the last Beast, and also equal to what we had in January 2013, the last time we had 'proper' snow before that. The difference this time is that the temperature is more marginal and the snow therefore less powdery and already showing slight signs of melting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, <torbay> said:

Chucking it down here on the edge of paignton and laying on everything fast! Heaviest I’ve seen it here in my 25 years. 

Enjoy. Going to be fun for you guys.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, MR EXTREMES said:

Screenshot_20180318-105324.thumb.png.8d091eea8008ded9dce96e52f30b1c44.png

All cleared away now nothing on the met radar. but to our west it's very different story.

And more likely for Portsmouth anyone know ?

Keep an eye on the radar this evening. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

-1.9c. Brighter now. Snow stopped .Wind blowing snow around not stepped out yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Completely stopped here. Is that it for up here?

Torquay webcam looks amazing. Know Torquay well; a long weekend haunt of ours a few times a year. Never seen it like it is showing on webcam now.

aye, I was born and bred in Brixham for my first 20 odd years before i joined the RAF, and lived through th great blizzard of 78/79....the current amount of snow falling out of the sky down there rivals that and then some in intensity...wow!

• Like 1