Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Morning all and what a wonderful morning it is! I confess to getting up a couple of times during the night just to check it hadn't turned to rain and washed it all away. It didn't, it hasn't, it's all snow and it's still coming down well, light and powdery with small flakes, it's going to crunch when I finally step outside. Just taken a few pics, I haven't done the ruler test yet as it means letting the dogs out too and they'll go loopy scattering it everywhere, want to enjoy pristine snow for a while yet. At a guess I'd say 10-12cm on the table.

DSC01944.JPG

DSC01943.JPG

DSC01945.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
16 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

A QUICK ROUND UP

Excellent analysis again David, very much how I see it progressing too. 

I will be keeping an eye out later to see how the snow coming across from the continent aligns itself, could be another surprise as you mention!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

15 minutes ago, the patio and roof were half covered, now fully covered evenly from some very heavy snow that just passed by!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun

Thanks everybody, I've been watching the thread since yesterday and really enjoyed reading all your reports. In the next hour Torquay is about to get slammed! I'll get out there once it starts settling and get you some good pics.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters
26 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Another blob inbound? Weymouth getting hammered I would think.??

IMG_0748.PNG

I hoping that blob keeps heading north not west, it seems to have slowed in the channel a tad.  MInd you this is the reader of the radar who thought this snow was going to miss me earlier this morning.

Posted

Couple of inches here in north Bristol. Nearly stopped now. Radar showing it moving west, so probably had the lions share of it here now. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

I think I said last night I expected 5cm, hoped for 8cm here in Oxfordshire.  Just been out with the ruler, it's variable but measured between 5cm and 10cm.   Just incredible for 18th March.

Compare with March 2013 when we got 2 inches of slush that melted straight away.  This won't melt for a few days.

looking at radar, we're pretty much done and dusted now, good luck to the SW with more to come!

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Still coming down here. Local paper reckons it will stop by 9am and then we have more to come this evening. Lets see if they are right! It's going to be an exciting day. And it's the middle of March!!! 

Edited by divadee
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

more tonight maybe too! still coming down hard here though and the battle between the road and snow is being won by snow every time it gets heavier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think I said last night I expected 5cm, hoped for 8cm here in Oxfordshire.  Just been out with the ruler, it's variable but measured between 5cm and 10cm.   Just incredible for 18th March.

Compare with March 2013 when we got 2 inches of slush that melted straight away.  This won't melt for a few days.

looking at radar, we're pretty much done and dusted now, good luck to the SW with more to come!

Sw looking good. That massive blob in the channel is heading for Exeter area?? we have 8cm in Mudeford in march?? edit maybe Paignton.

IMG_0748.PNG

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A solid 5 inches here overnight and this morning...........the wife is well impressed :whistling::laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

The system will slowly move west, this is the associated precipitation rotating around it. 

Cheers for that is there a time where it hit st Austell Cornwall as may have to do some shopping etc with mum and dad, wasn't sure if i saw this on here but what about this area of snow ?

Screenshot_20180318-083634.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Pepping up again here :crazy:

• Like 1

Posted

it looks like it's stopping now but should get better later around 10ish

Posted

Morning all,

There's going to be a few surprised Devonian and Cornish Folk if this kicks off!  Current conditions!   . . . . 

IMG_1626.thumb.JPG.81e645f1cfcb145364d503f6bf20cffe.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer
7 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Cheers for that is there a time where it hit st Austell Cornwall as may have to do some shopping etc with mum and dad, wasn't sure if i saw this on here but what about this area of snow ?

Just get the shopping done before midday mate. You’ll then have the whole afternoon to enjoy the snow

Posted
20 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

????? I thought we was getting it from the east ? France? Just hope it's slow moving as don't know what time it's coming to Cornwall

Low in the channel, snow bands wrapping round it. So Cherbourg ppn is building very nicely and is headed for Devon/Cornwall. If it’s anything like I’ve had here you will like it a lot! 

0E3CACF4-D8B7-4059-940D-C8CAC4E95D59.thumb.jpeg.ff4fd146d268b76f98174f667a924930.jpeg

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Interesting that blob to the se of the iow. Got someone's name on it and that would be for an area that is forecast to be dry in a hour or so. 

IMG_0751.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Snow turned fine and powdery here at around half 7  as the line of heavier stuff through the likes of Bournemouth is just out of reach to the south.

Given I have several inches on the ground and can see a good deal more out to my SE, I'm not too bothered though :laugh:

Amazing just how poorly the models have handled the mechanism of the upper flow around the low converging with the lower easterly flow to keep producing snow on the eastern flank of the low. Judging by the latest HIRLAM and GFS this could continue for most of today, before it steps back up a gear for at least a few hours tonight.

With local modification of air temps under the still cold flow I can see off-road lying snow across the CS region lasting until at least mid-morning Tuesday, perhaps 12-24 hours longer in sheltered spots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Trying desperately to convince my mate and his GF not to travel back from Newquay to ferndown today.. he is not weather savvy at all. Hope he listens. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Trying desperately to convince my mate and his GF not to travel back from Newquay to ferndown today.. he is not weather savvy at all. Hope he listens. 

Lulled into a false sense of security 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Yes - 1148 this morning, give or take a few seconds :D  

Seriously, it should reach you around lunchtime and I would expect you to get at the very least another 10 cm - 15 cm, as will much of Devon and Cornwall.  David :) 

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Edited by Guest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Morning, fair to say the mini beast has surpassed my expectations. Probably as much snow as the last one so far which would have been deeper had it stuck to surfaces straight away. Remarkable for mid-March!

Lets hope we can get a good stream of snow showers today!

• Like 2