Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve ended up with more than last time as I had a fairly low total compared to most here then. 

I won’t beat last time, 17cm on March 1st. But even so this is amazing. I wasn’t expecting this much at all

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if I’ve ended up with more than last time as I had a fairly low total compared to most here then. 

We have more this time. And it's still coming down. I'm on the back edge of the rotating band and I keep thinking it's going to stop but it seems to pep up. Great surprise but I didn't forward plan and ran out of booze and tea bags:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Really coming down now. Heaviest I’ve seen for years. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Snow? 

Its just a cold March morning here in Plymouth :( 

Posted

Another inch in about 15 minutes, using my garden table as the deepest point. Really intense snowfall in Wiltshire pushing into Somerset/Dorset.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I’m in the middle of heavy bands either side of me. Still snowing though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Morning Andy this is insane and I have to admit this is the heaviest now I’ve seen falling since the 1980s even the last beast from the east the snow was more fine and blizzard like but I haven’t seen this intensity with such massive flakes since the 1980s and so nice to see as it rekindles those childhood memories and it was lovely because my boy was just stood looking out the conservatory as are used to and I said to him soak these memories up because sometimes no can be very rare so take in he said I am daddy I am this is amazing 

And also there is not so much wind now as there was with last snowfall

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Another blob inbound? Weymouth getting hammered I would think.??

IMG_0748.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Heavy snow falling here currently.

Have woke up to circa 3cm - 5cm of snow, will measure exactly later when I am dressed.

Radar suggests a very slow movement of the PPN band west, with the PPN moving SSE - NNW within the flow of the wave, so those currently within the snowfall, could see a couple more hours of snow falling, of varying intensity, yet.

• Like 3

A QUICK ROUND UP

NW Radar (snipped) 0800                     Live Rain/Snow Radar                           Live Infra Red Satelitte                                     Live Temps                                          Live Dew Points

rad0800.thumb.PNG.5f84fc60e6dbe233712923a6824c2234.PNG   lastsnowradar_uk.gif  anim_ir_color.gif  temp_uk.png  pointrosee_uk.png 

Pressure 24 hours to 0648 GMT Sun                       Live Pressure               Pressure 30 Hour Forecast from 0000 GMT Sun      Met O Fax at 0600 Sun                         Met O Fax for 0000 Mon  

tempresult_ezz0.gif pression2.png tempresult_hdu5.gif 20180318.0648.PPVA89.png 20180318.0427.PPVE89.png

Good morning everyone :) I managed 4 hours sleep to recharge my batteries for today. Many of us have seen some decent snow accumulations overnight, particularly those in the east, north and north-west of our region - probably anything from 2 cm to 15 cm (or more) with some impressive drifting. Some of us, including me, in south Devon and south Cornwall have only seen 1 cm to 2 cm ( 2cm here and -1 5 c) so far but we will see a lot more this morning.

The wave disturbance and the minor LP have developed/are developing and moved/moving westwards more or less as expected in terms of intensity and timing. You can still see the strong "upper" circulation from this system on the radar. It's currently centred over the mid Channel about 30 miles south-west of the IOW and 30 miles north-west of Cherbourg. This is continuing to generate more and more snow mostly on its eastern flank. This is being pumped northwards and north-westwards. The IOW and Hants, Wilts, north Somerset, parts of Gloucestershire, the Bristol area, the south west Midlands and much of Wales have seen much of the heavier stuff so far. There was some in north Devon and north Cornwall a little earlier too. There is a clear patch south-west of this area over much of Deon and Cornwall. The whole snow area is slowly moving westwards. Much of Dorset and Somerset are now the centre of attention and then east and south Devon will be within an hour or so (circa 0900). You can see on the pressure forecast chart that the tiny LP develops a little more this morning. So as the snow area moves westwards it should intensify somewhat. The Met O 0600 fax chart shows the frontal systems and troughs associated with this LP. Yesterday's cold front that cleared our region in the morning and brought in the very cold air, is wriggling around with a wave close to the IOW now. The "ghost" warm front (the one that is not filled in) is shown clearly. I coined this term when we had the initial impact from Storm Emma. It's where the warmer air in the system is uplifted and cannot penetrate the the deep cold surface (easterly) layer. In fact the warmer/moist air generates far more precipitation. Unlike last time, this layer is much higher, so there should be no danger of freezing rain. So, all the west of our region (from Dorset and Somerset westwards will see a lot of heavy snow this morning. It will reach Cornwall by lunchtime and will not clear Devon until this evening. South Wales, which has already done well, should see quite a bit more too. There are still signs of a little, probably lighter and more patchy snow further east and this set up might produce one or two more surprises today. Meanwhile the snow showers continue from the north Midlands northwards. Some of these will feed back further south this afternoon before they gradually reduce in intensity.

The temps are well below zero and many parts, especially in the centre and west of our region, should see an ice day. All the snow will continue to be the dry, powdery type. Some of us are still seeing little snow settling on the roads and surface concrete and tarmac. I gave a detailed account and explanation of this with a series of charts around 2300 last night - so please refer to my "ground temps" post for that. Right, I can see that the snow area is just a few miles east of here and now into east Devon. So, I'll prepare to enjoy it. More later on.  David :) 

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts

Posted
5 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Another blob inbound? Weymouth getting hammered I would think.??

IMG_0748.PNG

I can confirm. You know it’s good when you’ve got to lower the opacity setting on the radar to see the outline of the coastline ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Impatience over and it's looking lovely outside, a more photogenic snowfall than last time.

• Like 3

Posted

2 significant snow events in 2 weeks not bad at all! its chucking it down here!

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Devon/Cornwall look to Cherbourg, your fun is building nicely 

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

????? I thought we was getting it from the east ? France? Just hope it's slow moving as don't know what time it's coming to Cornwall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

????? I thought we was getting it from the east ? France? Just hope it's slow moving as don't know what time it's coming to Cornwall

It is coming from the east, but it's building from the channel, hence the development over France. It's an area of circulation that is very slow moving but bringing heavy precipitation. It's intensifying as it moves west

Posted
4 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

The system will slowly move west, this is the associated precipitation rotating around it. 

Posted

Still snowing heavy here and big flakes too.
Just fed the birds and they were straight onto the food.
Took a few pics around the garden.The rain meter on the right has had its second major snow event this year, it must be so happy.

isnow2018mar18.jpg

Edited by lettice
  • Like 1