Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
3 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

You should write a book Jethro. Fantastic. ?

Aw thank you, maybe I will one day but having written gardening books I know exactly what a nightmare publishing houses are. Not sure I'd have the patience for it.

It's still snowing :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Myself @matt111 and @Mapantz are dangling dangerously close to the southern tip of that ppn :help:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

how big are everyones flakes? still not white here and small flakes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Road still pretty wet, but about 1-2cm elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
Just now, Leon1 said:

Small but coming down moderately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Near an inch on the grass, half that on cars, but none on roads and only patchy traces on pavements. Makes for a nice colour palette :) 

Posted
1 minute ago, Leon1 said:

On the large side of medium here (if that makes sense?).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

This big :D

59517ada8c3e6d7a9d5d38bfa27ff1eb.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Well well.. who'd have thought we would have such a blast of Spring snow. Falling moderately now in Wellington and starting to stick. How much can we get by midday tomorrow? Anyone care to hazard a guess?

• Like 2

Posted

Same as March 1st size flakes. Not as heavy though for now. Got a covering on most surfaces, it’s blowing around on roads and pavements and gathering where it hits a ridge!

Posted

Nowt here at the moment. A few 0.5cm flakes early afternoon, but dust other than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

it seems like bath is rubbish for snow probably it being a city and being in a valley doesn't help either. Grrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Myself @matt111 and @Mapantz are dangling dangerously close to the southern tip of that ppn :help:

I made a post a while back of where to look - to the SE of the IoW. I still maintain that.

As that begins to pivot around, vertical motion increases PVA (positive vorticity advection) 

GFSOPUK18_9_6.thumb.png.00a4b4e9b18ee8db39939c552f76b0c7.png

If you look at the GFS chart above, you'll see the strong PVA in pink, just above the IoW. That strong PVA increases as it moves Westward, and precipitation will also pep up as it runs through it.

GFSOPUK18_12_6.thumb.png.c27f0b739942d24ad4d1bb13c2287617.png GFSOPUK18_15_6.thumb.png.b71f0eb0ab8d9257d0fd7413750ef667.png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Well well.. who'd have thought we would have such a blast of Spring snow. Falling moderately now in Wellington and starting to stick. How much can we get by midday tomorrow? Anyone care to hazard a guess?

I’m holding off until I see that ppn get it’s act together near the Sussex Kent boarder near the coast. Think the Amber warning area looking spot on tbh.

Posted
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Wondered when you would appear lol. I'd say 10-15cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I've been willing it to move or expand southwards for the last few hours. I can't get much closer. :clapping:

Although having just looked at the radar again it's almost managed it on the latest frame. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Leon1 said:

it seems like bath is rubbish for snow probably it being a city and being in a valley doesn't help either. Grrr

Hehe - its early days.... I love the start of an event like this. The end is far enough way (sometime later tomorrow afternoon) that we can just enjoy it to the full. Like the first present from under the tree.... :-)

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Bazray said:

Wondered when you would appear lol. I'd say 10-15cm.

Yep - been quiet since "Emma" - didnt really think we'd see much more action this season even given a late Spring... but this little blast is going to be noteworthy I think. Just goes to show how much impact an SSW can have on our weather, way above and beyond the impact of pacific forcing if we are honest. The fact that there was a Canadian Warming in Dec 1962 helps explain the starting pistol on that famous year.

Anyway - let the flakes fall and the fun commence. 2 snow days in one season for Somerset... and we have only just reached the beginning of the interest in terms of the falling solar cycle. Exciting stuff.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

Go up to Lansdown, it always snows there. Look on the bright side, being in a valley means you've got loads of hills to choose from for sledging in the morning, if you're feeling brave sledge down Brassknocker hill, it'll be traffic free because nothing will be able to get up it ;-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Snow picking up in Exeter as a more intense area of precip heads towards us. Small flakes but readily settling on most (if not all) surfaces by the looks of it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I made a post a while back of where to look - to the SE of the IoW. I still maintain that.

As that begins to pivot around, vertical motion increases PVA (positive vorticity advection) 

there's nothing quite like a saturday night and having Positive Vorticity Advection in mapants .....lololol

don't worry I've already fetched me coat...lol

Just had an enjoyable read of the SE regional thread, funny as hell, a few members have lost the plot....handbags at dawn....lol

Posted
1 minute ago, jethro said:

Go up to Lansdown, it always snows there. Look on the bright side, being in a valley means you've got loads of hills to choose from for sledging in the morning, if you're feeling brave sledge down Brassknocker hill, it'll be traffic free because nothing will be able to get up it ;-)

it is true though, Lansdown always gets loads and we have little! Can see the hill from my window so I'll check in the morning. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Yep - been quiet since "Emma" - didnt really think we'd see much more action this season even given a late Spring... but this little blast is going to be noteworthy I think. Just goes to show how much impact an SSW can have on our weather, way above and beyond the impact of pacific forcing if we are honest. The fact that there was a Canadian Warming in Dec 1962 helps explain the starting pistol on that famous year.

Anyway - let the flakes fall and the fun commence. 2 snow days in one season for Somerset... and we have only just reached the beginning of the interest in terms of the falling solar cycle. Exciting stuff.

What are your thoughts of what will happen overnight Cat? Do you think the met o predictions are about right?