Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, EllyTech said:

Not this time. Its melting on warm soil/tarmac

That's what I thought, but the surfaces are as dry as a bone by my house anyway. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

why are the flakes so small? :(

They are made by quite intense cold.. Its closer to air-puffed ice than our usual dense and heavy wet snow.

Edited by EllyTech

Posted
Just now, Joe Levy said:

That's what I thought, but the surfaces are as dry as a bone by my house anyway. 

The dew points are low so yes, there is some drying out but from water rather than the snow being sucked of its moisture.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

The snow on the patio is nice to the touch.. fluffy... like my rabbit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a non event, can anyone cheer me up?

• Like 1

Posted

Been snowing in Salcombe more or less non stop since 2pm. Gradually settling and has done so for the past couple of hours.

Seems as though we may end up with a fair bit by this time tomorrow, but I never expect anything much down in sunny Salcombe!

Posted
7 minutes ago, Leon1 said:

so far, a bit underwhelming

Be patient it’s still early that warning isn’t valid until midnight watch things develop in a few hours

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, microclimate said:

I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a non event, can anyone cheer me up?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
10 minutes ago, Joe Levy said:

Something I've noticed here in Exeter - any melted snow from earlier has now frozen on most surfaces, and a lot of the snow that's falling disappears between showers. That is not to say that it melts, but it appears to sublime (where it changes state instantly from solid to gas). Is it possible that this could be happening with low dewpoints and very dry snow? I can't see much evidence of dampness where the snow was. Though it does seem to be remaining in certain places more than others.

Sublimation of snow can occur if the temperature is below the triple point of water.  This certainly happened in the last Beast from the East and it is highly likely to have happened today.  We had snowing blowing in the wind most of the day and  none of it stuck, but it didn't melt obviously either- sublimation straight to the gas phase.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winter, hot summer
24 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

Was mild this week, ground temperatures are very different to last time. They must have dropped here in Glos, as fine snow is starting to settle. Same should hopefully happen where you are..?

Was thinking that.  Still snowing and still not settling 

Posted
Just now, microclimate said:

It's getting late, but whereabouts in West Dorset are you? :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 minutes ago, microclimate said:

Look to the Sussex/Kent boarder, that’s where to keep an eye on the ppn building out of the channel

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Posted
20 minutes ago, Gardening Landscapes said:

looking at the radar the folks in barnstaple should be seeing something white very soon, if not now.

looking forward to tonight and tomo here in hartland, north devon.

It's snowing here in braunton but nothing settling. Fairly light stuff. Looking across the bay today looked like you got some? The fields above clovelly etc seemed to have a covering. Really clear skies too. Same looking northwards towards Pembrokeshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

For those worrying about this being a non event, the event hasn't actually happened yet... the amber warning is for tomorrow! 

• Like 2

Posted

Have faith in the met. The south west will be pasted.im to far north in the region (north glos.)  But whoever gets it enjoy.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Joe Levy said:

Same here, 1 mile from the Devon coast.  Even though "dust" has been falling most of the day, there is nothing blowing around and the ground is bone dry.  Car has frozen droplets on it, where the larger flakes from earlier had melted.

Temperature    : -0.6°C (Feels like -4.4°C)
Dewpoint       : -3.1°C
Humidity       : 83%

www.caiels.com

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Harsh Frosts & Heavy Snow
5 minutes ago, microclimate said:

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks all!  All I want to do is put my bum on a bit of plastic tomorrow and bundle down a hill, then I'll be happy.  I'm getting on a bit now so every bit of snow that falls has to useable!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
5 minutes ago, microclimate said:

This is going to be good when it gets going bud? I have a great job tonight, doorman at a gig , watching the snow falling by default lol.......

3 minutes ago, Ydoj said:

It's snowing here in braunton but nothing settling. Fairly light stuff. Looking across the bay today looked like you got some? The fields above clovelly etc seemed to have a covering. Really clear skies too. Same looking northwards towards Pembrokeshire.

yes we had some moderate snow about 10:30-12 this morning, giving a light covering and a coupe of cms where the wind blew it into the hedges and banks.  the echoes look quite bright on the radar, hopefully heading this way....not that im greedy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
7 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

Be patient it’s still early that warning isn’t valid until midnight watch things develop in a few hours

4 minutes ago, Joe Levy said:

For those worrying about this being a non event, the event hasn't actually happened yet... the amber warning is for tomorrow! 

Exactly, I have no idea why some people are worrying about this being a non event right now when things aren't even meant to be kicking off until later on and into the early hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Gardening Landscapes said:

yes we had some moderate snow about 10:30-12 this morning, giving a light covering and a coupe of cms where the wind blew it into the hedges and banks.  the echoes look quite bright on the radar, hopefully heading this way....not that im greedy!

Send some this way! Do you have a link to the radar or is that part of a subscription?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Steady snow here and everything has a 1-2cm covering including roads.

Looking at the radar this could keep going for a long time. If it keeps up at this rate could easily make 10 cm level snow by morning!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Smartie said:

Exactly, I have no idea why some people are worrying about this being a non event right now when things aren't even meant to be kicking off until later on and into the early hours. 

Might be because the Met have dropped the double snow symbol.