Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Light snow falling here now. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, wiltshire weather said:

Just starting to snow here, a few flakes blowing in the wind.

Temp now down to 1.6degC

Really must get myself a proper weather station this year, any recommendations?

Have a look around the net for a local AWS. Plenty of people have them. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Let the flurries begin! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Snowing here in Gloucester too. Fine, but heavy shower at first, now slowed down. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Have woken up to snow swirling about in a bitter wind. A great start to the weekend.

Looks like it will get more interesting as the weekend goes on. Enjoy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Snapshot of the latest BBC forecast for early Sunday morning;

DYecYwcWkAAm1mJ.thumb.jpeg.629bd6ef370781ba9f8a7a2b2007e0e7.jpeg

Shows snow falling widely over the West Country.

Personally, I don't think it will be as widespread as that, with many areas no north of the Mendips seeing little snowfall.  For example, I don't see Bristol seeing anything more than the lightest of dustings this time around unfortunately.

The latest 0z Arpege backs this up, showing a couple of cm's of accumulative snowfall for Bristol for a very brief period of time early Sunday;

IMG_20180317_090131.thumb.png.3cf461230e5d78e41ff423a8f63ffd09.png

Edited by AWD
Correct chart inputted.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

We have now fully transitioned! I repeat full transition to snow complete! 

54EEC3E1-E0AE-474C-9DBF-0BB3C665A0D7.thumb.jpeg.a9bc882af265aed1495dfaeea966e32e.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I had to slap myself around my face in disbelief when we had snow at the beginning of the month, I now find myself doing the same again. 

I could easily get used to this, only wish it was actually in Autumn or Winter, but beggars can't be choosers, and you never know when we would likely see snow again... 

Actually that might be Easter :yahoo:

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 3

SNOW UPDATE FOR "TODAY" - I'M VERY OPTIMISTIC INDEED NOW!

Further to my early morning report, I think that we should not discount today's snow. Quite apart from the light to moderate snow associated with the cold front as it clears through us during this morning, the snow showers following on behind are already far more widespread than those that we saw during the last easterly. They have almost spread across the the whole country further north. They have just started to develop over Suffolk and Essex immediately behind the cold front - a very rapid development. There is more and more white showing up - which are heavy showers. As the really cold air pushes across "all" of us during the next 2 to 3 hours (with sub zero temps now showing up) and the wind backs slightly to the east-north-east, I think that all of us will see quite a few decent snow showers during this afternoon and this evening with many parts getting quite a covering. I expect "todays'" weather warnings will be increased to amber over a much wider area. The showers are likely to merge into quite prolonged periods of snow. The extent and intensity of the snow and the temperatures have been considerably underestimated. Live charts below:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif  anim_ir_color.gif  temp_uk.png  pression2_uk.png rafales_uk.png

I will now analyse the charts for tonight and tomorrow and report back (briefly) later this morning. My initial thoughts are that the heavy snow showers today and this evening will merge into the  general snow area moving in from the south. I would not be surprised to see some red warnings for snow appearing quite soon.  This is likely to be a major event. The rapid development of this very snowy spell is quite bewildering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Morning all,

a few flurries blowing in the wind temp on the slide, bring it on

Posted

I know others have commented similarly but it really is odd to have such a drop in temperature from after the 7am ish sunrise and still ongoing. Usually come mid to late March it would be rising at the rate it's dropping!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Good to see people are reporting snow! Thought it would have been rain this early but looks like the cold air has dug in already.

HIRLAM seems to have done very well so far. Here are the things to watch out for

hirlamuk-1-13-0.png?17-04 Light/moderate snow coming down from the NE. Could the band intensify further?

hirlamuk-1-27-0.png?17-05 Showers pack in behind and then become more organised. Persistent snow passing through S England tonight
hirlamuk-1-35-0.png?17-05 The snow band intensifies over the SW during Sunday, looking good here. Showers potentially in central-southern regions
hirlamuk-1-43-0.png?17-05 Another band of snow coming up from the SE for Sunday night

image.thumb.png.c8e10ae0369cdc685de8099290b00338.png Met office is also picking up on the area of snow coming up from the SE

I'll be just impressed if we manage to get a covering given the time of year!. There should be plenty of snow around, especially in the SW, enjoy!

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

@Bring Back1962-63 thank you sir, you are my in-depth analysis hero ?

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

SNOW UPDATE FOR "TODAY" - I'M VERY OPTIMISTIC INDEED NOW!

Further to my early morning report, I think that we should not discount today's snow. Quite apart from the light to moderate snow associated with the cold front as it clears through us during this morning, the snow showers following on behind are already far more widespread than those that we saw during the last easterly. They have almost spread across the the whole country further north. They have just started to develop over Suffolk and Essex immediately behind the cold front - a very rapid development. There is more and more white showing up - which are heavy showers. As the really cold air pushes across "all" of us during the next 2 to 3 hours (with sub zero temps now showing up) and the wind backs slightly to the east-north-east, I think that all of us will see quite a few decent snow showers during this afternoon and this evening with many parts getting quite a covering. I expect "todays'" weather warnings will be increased to amber over a much wider area. The showers are likely to merge into quite prolonged periods of snow. The extent and intensity of the snow and the temperatures have been considerably underestimated. Live charts below:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif  anim_ir_color.gif  temp_uk.png  pression2_uk.png rafales_uk.png

I will now analyse the charts for tonight and tomorrow and report back (briefly) later this morning. My initial thoughts are that the heavy snow showers today and this evening will merge into the  general snow area moving in from the south. I would not be surprised to see some red warnings for snow appearing quite soon.  This is likely to be a major event. The rapid development of this very snowy spell is quite bewildering.

Somebody frame that post and hang it in the archives. Wow!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Well it’s snowing in Stroud heavier than last time, doesn’t look like it’ll last that long but the grass is going white. Bodes well for later/tonight whatever may come, the ground will def be cold enough by then! 

• Thanks 1

Posted

My rain meter showed a heavy spell of rain from 3am to 5.30am of 8mm.
Cloudy skies above this morning and feeling bitter.

Was 8c at 1am, now 2.7c, 1004.6 hPa
Wind has really picked up from its overnight 8--10mph Easterly to NE 15-20mph with 25-27mph gusts
Dewpoint has dropped fast from 5am ehen it was 6c, now 0.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

...and it’s stopped. But just half hour of moderate and a bit of heavy snow has settled a bit. Half a dozen or more spells of that after sunset needed now! 

Edit: Or an all-nighter of course. 

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

Snow and wind picked up here as well. The irony is that it is a stronger wind than the other week.

Moderate snow falling now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, Bristle boy said:

Snow and wind picked up here as well. The irony is that it is a stronger wind than the other week.

Moderate snow falling now.

Dry as a bone here.  :nonono:

Posted

BBC weather centre not yet updated to any new possibilities. 

"

Today

Bitterly cold and windy today with showery rain in south-west Britain turning increasingly to sleet and wet snow. Elsewhere it will be mostly cloudy with snow showers, these frequent for some."

Posted

Temperature falling quicker and earlier than thought here in Torbay, and no sign of the rain that was on the bbc or metoffice forecast for this morning yet. Still not sure about tomorrow as being only half a mile from an east facing coast that will be anything more than a sleety mess tomorrow. 

DB99B5DD-2075-425A-8852-1A8681331D2D.png