Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please
11 hours ago, Smartie said:

Can't see the half marathon that's supposed to be taking place this Sunday morning in Weston going ahead going by the forecasts in seeing. 

Grizzly down on Devon/Dorset border might be an issue too, 2000+ runners, some who come from abroad for this annual bonkers offroad race, very tricky call for organisers of such events, one might presume that if an amber warning is issued they may have to cancel/postpone.

Posted

Salcombe seems set for more snow then by the looks of it. Checking in this morning and there is now a risk of snow showers from Saturday early afternoon, with more widespread snow looking fairly likely on Sunday.

Have got an appointment in Plymouth first thing tomorrow, as things stand it should be fine but if the snow risk keeps moving forward then might have to reconsider! It's more the journey back, there's quite a few steep parts around Modbury and Aveton Gifford, for example, that will become tricky if the snow sticks. But hopefully that won't be the case until later tomorrow.

Posted

Yes the Mad thread in fine form....the thing we crave snow....ok not everybody,but theres now sniping about snow depth lol gotta love them,wish they could have a convention so I could put faces to names who come out with some of the drivel,I do have some form on this,Real Ale...went to a few Campaign for Real ALE Festivals,boy there were absolute belters that attended those,ah well each to their own,have a good day.

Hello guys,

First time poster here looking for some advice/guidance.

I'm in London for an event this weekend (so hope I'm in the correct regional forum firstly!). Flying out of Dublin to Gatwick mid-morning tomorrow so will hopefully have no issues there, but my problem occurs the next day. I'm due to fly out of Gatwick early on Sunday. You guys are obviously far more knowledgeable than me about the weather and region, so I'm just wondering if you could offer some guidance on the below, presuming things go as the models predict:

- Likelihood of actually being able to get to Gatwick from Victoria via train (Gatwick Express or Southern, either is fine)?

- Likelihood of being able to get out of Gatwick on a plane on Sunday morning?

I know it would be just an estimate, but would prefer to have some sort of indication so I can plan accordingly if needed.

Thank you all.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Salcombe seems set for more snow then by the looks of it. Checking in this morning and there is now a risk of snow showers from Saturday early afternoon, with more widespread snow looking fairly likely on Sunday.

Have got an appointment in Plymouth first thing tomorrow, as things stand it should be fine but if the snow risk keeps moving forward then might have to reconsider! It's more the journey back, there's quite a few steep parts around Modbury and Aveton Gifford, for example, that will become tricky if the snow sticks. But hopefully that won't be the case until later tomorrow.

I certainly wouldn't fancy Aveton Gifford hill even with a sprinkling of snow on it :nonono:

Posted
1 hour ago, Ireland_ said:

Hello guys,

First time poster here looking for some advice/guidance.

I'm in London for an event this weekend (so hope I'm in the correct regional forum firstly!). Flying out of Dublin to Gatwick mid-morning tomorrow so will hopefully have no issues there, but my problem occurs the next day. I'm due to fly out of Gatwick early on Sunday. You guys are obviously far more knowledgeable than me about the weather and region, so I'm just wondering if you could offer some guidance on the below, presuming things go as the models predict:

- Likelihood of actually being able to get to Gatwick from Victoria via train (Gatwick Express or Southern, either is fine)?

- Likelihood of being able to get out of Gatwick on a plane on Sunday morning?

I know it would be just an estimate, but would prefer to have some sort of indication so I can plan accordingly if needed.

Thank you all.

This 'event' wouldn't be a certain Rugby match would it? If it is, I'm not really sure we can be of any assistance.:laugh:

There is another thread for the South East who'll have better local knowledge, but London area is under an Amber warning for both Saturday and Sunday.

image.thumb.png.16b346a4578e09bd6bdadefddf221c2a.png

Check the HIRLAM model animation on the previous page, which shows the South East under heavier snow early on Sunday.

image.thumb.png.ddc80a00418da66bafc20ff16bbfd125.png

Some of us were impressed with the Hirlam's handling of the snow distribution last time.

Best of luck! For the trip... not the Rugby.

Edit - Having said all that... the amber warning ends early doors on Sunday and the MO suggests the snow will have pushed through, with the heavier stuff falling later on Saturday.

image.thumb.png.40137623c9ac2da842676e4a84e6c5bf.png

Edited by jtay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Whilst we have the potential for snow on Saturday and Sunday; storm lovers don't write today off!

Check this image by the Netweather NMM model, certainly the potential for a few storms today developing around M4 and moving northwards. 

Current showers should intensify over course of the day.

Precipitation.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
1 hour ago, noonoo418 said:

Grizzly down on Devon/Dorset border might be an issue too, 2000+ runners, some who come from abroad for this annual bonkers offroad race, very tricky call for organisers of such events, one might presume that if an amber warning is issued they may have to cancel/postpone.

It's been run before in snow. The runners will be fine - the issue will be marshals and first aid, but I'd be amazed if it didn't go ahead. A similar race in Wilts was called off in 2009, but only because the first aid couldn't get on course - the organisers would have happily had the race run in the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy
Just now, warmintim said:

It's been run before in snow. The runners will be fine - the issue will be marshals and first aid, but I'd be amazed if it didn't go ahead. A similar race in Wilts was called off in 2009, but only because the first aid couldn't get on course - the organisers would have happily had the race run in the snow!

"Latest weather forecast for Grizzly weekend

Well, Grizzly weekend is almost upon us and if you have been following the weather forecast, you’ll be aware that it’s looking chilly for race day. The Met Office currently has light snow forecast until early afternoon on race day, with a temperature of around zero and a wind chill of -5 to -7.

Please obviously be prepared for some tough weather and course conditions (especially given the overnight rain that we have had). Bring layers, plenty of food and drink and wear appropriate footwear. A useful guide as to kit requirements can be found in the rules for the fell running association (www.fellrunner.org.uk) – the Grizzly isn’t bound by these rules but they are a useful guide for what to wear and bring along with you for a multi-terrain endurance race such as this.

Take care and we look forward to seeing you over the weekend." - from the website!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh look, a gap in the showers, and I'm in the middle of it grrr!

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Check this image by the Netweather NMM model, certainly the potential for a few storms today developing around M4 and moving northwards

Current showers should intensify over course of the day.

Precipitation.png

Hmmm M4 northwards, now where have we heard that before? :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

lovely warm spring day down here today, got to love our weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Hey guys how is it all going?

Should be an interesting weekend coming up, will discuss developments when the cold air starts arriving. By then we will be able to see what HIRLAM thinks for Sunday, which did very well during the last beast here.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Hey guys how is it all going?

Should be an interesting weekend coming up, will discuss developments when the cold air starts arriving. By then we will be able to see what HIRLAM thinks for Sunday, which did very well during the last beast here.

Fingers crossed!

Yes, I'm pinning my hopes on the mighty Hirlam. Aperge can do one :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Cracking day here. 12.7°C and sunny spells.

Not expecting much here over the weekend. Heavy rain before cold air arrives, and warm ground temperatures. Soil temps to 20cm are already 8°C here. Can't see it being too bothersome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Heavy hail shower here.

THE BEAST - THE SEQUEL

I said that I would be back on here for any interesting and/or extreme weather events from now on and the upcoming very cold blast falls into both categories. My post title is the same one that I used in my long MOD post last night (on page 56). Much like many films and books, a sequel is rarely as good as the original and this may well apply to this second easterly surge in under three weeks. Although this one may only last for a few days, its intensity will not be far off what we saw last time. Not quite so cold and probably not quite so snowy. Some parts of the country will see less snow than before but a few parts, including our region, "may" see further substantial snow accumulations (perhaps later on Sunday). As it has been (and still is) pretty mild the changes during the next 24 to 36 hours will come as a shock to many folk.

Right now, I'll kick off with a few charts so that we can monitor the progress of the incoming easterly air stream. I'll go up to midday on Saturday and go into Sunday in a later post:

Live Euro Pressure                   Pressure 21 hours to 1210 GMT  Fri          Met O Fax 0600 Fri Mar 16th                  Met O Fax 0600 Sat Mar 17th               Met O Fax 0100 Sat Mar 17th              

pression2_eur2.png  tempresult_rtx3.gif  20180316.0657.PPVA89.png  20180316.1052.PPVE89.png 20180316.0521.PPVG89.png 

The live charts should auto update every 10 minutes (you may need to refresh the page or press F5 to give it a nudge). You can see the Scandi HP intensifying and the LP to our west is retreating north-westwards. The fax charts show the fronts over the UK stalling and look how quickly they are pushed back south-westwards. By Saturday lunchtime they will be clearing our region. Meanwhile the Scandi HP is re-orientating on its axis from north/south to east/west. This is opening the floodgates to some exceptionally cold air (especially for mid March) to push westwards from Siberia, across Europe and then right through the UK and Ireland. The toothed black trough line shown in the North Sea on the last chart is the likely position of yet another snow streamer (and the first of this spell). The onset of the cold and the snow showers is taking place far more quickly than it did three weeks ago with the last blast. The increasingly strong easterly winds are likely to push these snow showers well inland and a few should filter through to our region from tomorrow afternoon (more on that in my next post this evening).

Live Euro 2 M Temps                    Temps 21 hours to 1220 GMT  Fri               Live Euro Dew Point Temps                    Live Euro Windchill Temps                     850s as at 0600 GMT  Fri

temp_eur2.png   tempresult_xuy8.gif   pointrosee_eur2.png  windchill_eur2.png  gens-0-0-0.png

Even allowing for the night/day min/max temp range, you can see the intense cold starting to push southwards. The black and purple colours will steadily expand during this afternoon and especially tonight and tomorrow. Once again we will see some very dry air with extremely low dew points invading the UK by tomorrow. Given the strength of the wind, I would expect to windchill values well below -10c later tomorrow (these are almost always underestimated in the forecasts). Just like with the last spell, some exceptionally low upper (850) temps are set to push in to the UK overnight. Let's look ahead into Saturday:

2 M temps for 0000 GMT Sat Mar 17th   2 M temps for 0600 GMT Sat Mar 17th    2 M temps for 1200 GMT Sat Mar 17th   2 M temps for 1800 GMT Sat Mar 17th 

arpege-41-18-0.png?16-11   arpege-41-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-41-30-0.png?16-11  arpege-41-36-0.png?16-11 

850 temps for 0000 GMT Sat Mar 17th   850 temps for 0600 GMT Sat Mar 17th    850 temps for 1200 GMT Sat Mar 17th   850 temps for 1800 GMT Sat Mar 17th 

arpege-16-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-16-24-0.png?16-11  arpege-16-30-0.png?16-11  arpege-16-36-0.png?16-11

Anyone who doubts the intensity of this incoming cold and doesn't want to believe it should look away now!  By dawn tomorrow temps will be back to 5c or 6c in our region but by lunchtime they will be closer to 0c to 1c!  The very low 850s (sub -8c for many of us by later tomorrow) will be highly conducive once again to a lot of low level convection and snow showers. There are indications of a wriggle developing in the frontal system that cleared through to introduce that cold air and a trough, disturbance or minor LP may well develop over north-west France and in the Channel. The Channel Islands may see some very heavy snow on Sunday and some of this "may" push northwards right across our region (more on this at the end of this post). We shall need to keep a very close eye on developments and watch the forecast updates and the nowcasts as well as the satelitte and radar charts. Speaking of which:.

Live Euro Satelitte                              Live Euro Infra Red Satelitte        Live North-West France Rain/Snow Radar Live France Rain/Snow Radar          Live UK Rain/Snow Radar  (tech fault)

anim_ir.gif  anim_ir_color.gif  lastsnowradar_no.gif  lastsnowradar.gif lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Obviously it's too early to see any snow just yet but there are some interesting features to follow from now on. Look at the satelitte imagery - you can see the whole line of cloud that has been pushing northwards across the UK and north-west Europe already stalling and right now it is just starting to sink back south-westwards (look at Denmark and Scotland for example). You can also see the undercutting deep cold air marching south-westwards. That's the grey surface lower cloud in the north. As I always say, the bright colours on the infra red are not necessarily precipitation but they usually are as they represent much thicker and deeper cloud. This is all medium level cloud with is being undercut. Later today, we should start to see the whole cloud system start to pivot as it's pushed south and south-westwards. Then we'll start to see some blobs of cloud at the surface forming in the North Sea - the start of the low level convection and snow shower activity.  The cold air is just starting to reach into Scotland. The green colours (rain) in the radar chart will start to turn pink or red (snow) progressively from the east during this afternoon and this evening. UPDATE: the UK radar has a fault right now (stuck on Mar 14th), so I've included two France views. I hope this is resolved later today.

Finally I'll return to what all the excitement is about for our region - a possible more widespread snowfall on Sunday. The models are hugely variable and uncertain of the detail and the timing but the Arpege short term forecasts are as good as any. I'll start with the current frontal analysis (which does not auto update but is updated every six hours on Meteoceil and I'll show it in future posts on here) and go through a sequence of pressure charts at six hour intervals: 

Fronts & Troughs at 0600 GMT Fri              Pressure for 1200 GMT Fri                     Pressure for 1800 GMT Fri                       Pressure for 0000 GMT Sat                   Pressure for 0600 GMT Sat

analyse-2018-03-16-06.png  arpege-53-6-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-12-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-24-0.png?16-11

Pressure for 1200 GMT Sat                   Pressure for 1800 GMT Sat                        Pressure for 0000 GMT Sun                   Pressure for 0600 GMT Sun                Pressure for 1200 GMT Sun 

arpege-53-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-36-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-42-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-48-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-54-0.png?16-11

Pressure for 1800 GMT Sun                       Pressure for 0000 GMT Mon                   Pressure for 0600 GMT Mon              

arpege-53-60-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-66-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-72-0.png?16-11 

You can see a small LP developing in the south-west approaches during Sunday morning. There will be minor troughs or fronts associated with this minor system. By midday on Sunday the flow has veered slightly to the east-south-east. By Sunday evening it is shown to have pushed away south-westwards.with the strongly easterly flow backing slightly to the east-north-east.

Overall for those who haven't had enough of the white stuff, there will be plenty of opportunities during the next 2 to 3 days or so. One final point, much of the snow will again be falling as the dry, powdery stuff. The ground temps will start off around + 5c or so, which may be some melting initially but temps will fall steadily during tomorrow (uppers, 2m surface layer and ground temps). I'll be back with a shorter update this evening.  David

EDIT: While the Meteoceil UK radar has a fault, here's a screen shot of the NetWeather radar to make sense of my text above:

rad1.thumb.png.2dde1a1b74e8750a62876bdf7660f327.png

Edited by Guest
Correct typos and check charts & links

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
2 hours ago, Georgie said:

We have had another weather warning in North Somerset is there any chance it will come this far west?

Hi Georgie,can you post a link of that for me please ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
6 minutes ago, Bring Back1962-63 said:

THE BEAST - THE SEQUEL

I said that I would be back on here for any interesting and/or extreme weather events from now on and the upcoming very cold blast falls into both categories. My post title is the same one that I used in my long MOD post last night (on page 56). Much like many films and books, a sequel is rarely as good as the original and this may well apply to this second easterly surge in under three weeks. Although this one may only last for a few days, its intensity will not be far off what we saw last time. Not quite so cold and probably not quite so snowy. Some parts of the country will see less snow than before but a few parts, including our region, "may" see further substantial snow accumulations (perhaps later on Sunday). As it has been (and still is) pretty mild the changes during the next 24 to 36 hours will come as a shock to many folk.

Right now, I'll kick off with a few charts so that we can monitor the progress of the incoming easterly air stream. I'll go up to midday on Saturday and go into Sunday in a later post:

Live Euro Pressure                   Pressure 21 hours to 1210 GMT  Fri          Met O Fax 0600 Fri Mar 16th                  Met O Fax 0600 Sat Mar 17th               Met O Fax 0100 Sat Mar 17th              

pression2_eur2.png  tempresult_rtx3.gif  20180316.0657.PPVA89.png  20180316.1052.PPVE89.png 20180316.0521.PPVG89.png 

The live charts should auto update every 10 minutes (you may need to refresh the page or press F5 to give it a nudge). You can see the Scandi HP intensifying and the LP to our west is retreating north-westwards. The fax charts show the fronts over the UK stalling and look how quickly they are pushed back south-westwards. By Saturday lunchtime they will be clearing our region. Meanwhile the Scandi HP is re-orientating on its axis from north/south to east/west. This is opening the floodgates to some exceptionally cold air (especially for mid March) to push westwards from Siberia, across Europe and then right through the UK and Ireland. The toothed black trough line shown in the North Sea on the last chart is the likely position of yet another snow streamer (and the first of this spell). The onset of the cold and the snow showers is taking place far more quickly than it did three weeks ago with the last blast. The increasingly strong easterly winds are likely to push these snow showers well inland and a few should filter through to our region from tomorrow afternoon (more on that in my next post this evening).

Live Euro 2 M Temps                    Temps 21 hours to 1220 GMT  Fri               Live Euro Dew Point Temps                    Live Euro Windchill Temps                     850s as at 0600 GMT  Fri

temp_eur2.png   tempresult_xuy8.gif   pointrosee_eur2.png  windchill_eur2.png  gens-0-0-0.png

Even allowing for the night/day min/max temp range, you can see the intense cold starting to push southwards. The black and purple colours will steadily expand during this afternoon and especially tonight and tomorrow. Once again we will see some very dry air with extremely low dew points invading the UK by tomorrow. Given the strength of the wind, I would expect to windchill values well below -10c later tomorrow (these are almost always underestimated in the forecasts). Just like with the last spell, some exceptionally low upper (850) temps are set to push in to the UK overnight. Let's look ahead into Saturday:

2 M temps for 0000 GMT Sat Mar 17th   2 M temps for 0600 GMT Sat Mar 17th    2 M temps for 1200 GMT Sat Mar 17th   2 M temps for 1800 GMT Sat Mar 17th 

arpege-41-18-0.png?16-11   arpege-41-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-41-30-0.png?16-11  arpege-41-36-0.png?16-11 

850 temps for 0000 GMT Sat Mar 17th   850 temps for 0600 GMT Sat Mar 17th    850 temps for 1200 GMT Sat Mar 17th   850 temps for 1800 GMT Sat Mar 17th 

arpege-16-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-16-24-0.png?16-11  arpege-16-30-0.png?16-11  arpege-16-36-0.png?16-11

Anyone who doubts the intensity of this incoming cold and doesn't want to believe it should look away now!  By dawn tomorrow temps will be back to 5c or 6c in our region but by lunchtime they will be closer to 0c to 1c!  The very low 850s (sub -8c for many of us by later tomorrow) will be highly conducive once again to a lot of low level convection and snow showers. There are indications of a wriggle developing in the frontal system that cleared through to introduce that cold air and a trough, disturbance or minor LP may well develop over north-west France and in the Channel. The Channel Islands may see some very heavy snow on Sunday and some of this "may" push northwards right across our region (more on this at the end of this post). We shall need to keep a very close eye on developments and watch the forecast updates and the nowcasts as well as the satelitte and radar charts. Speaking of which:.

Live Euro Satelitte                              Live Euro Infra Red Satelitte                    Live UK Rain/Snow Radar        Live North-West France Rain/Snow Radar 

anim_ir.gif  anim_ir_color.gif  lastsnowradar_uk.gif  lastsnowradar_no.gif

Obviously it's too early to see any snow just yet but there are some interesting features to follow from now on. Look at the satelitte imagery - you can see the whole line of cloud that has been pushing northwards across the UK and north-west Europe already stalling and right now it is just starting to sink back south-westwards (look at Denmark and Scotland for example). You can also see the undercutting deep cold air marching south-westwards. That's the grey surface lower cloud in the north. As I always say, the bright colours on the infra red are not necessarily precipitation but they usually are as they represent much thicker and deeper cloud. This is all medium level cloud with is being undercut. Later today, we should start to see the whole cloud system start to pivot as it's pushed south and south-westwards. Then we'll start to see some blobs of cloud at the surface forming in the North Sea - the start of the low level convection and snow shower activity.  The cold air is just starting to reach into Scotland. The green colours (rain) in the radar chart will start to turn pink or red (snow) progressively from the east during this afternoon and this evening. 

Finally I'll return to what all the excitement is about for our region - a possible more widespread snowfall on Sunday. The models are hugely variable and uncertain of the detail and the timing but the Arpege short term forecasts are as good as any. I'll start with the current frontal analysis (which does not auto update but is updated every six hours on Meteoceil and I'll show it in future posts on here) and go through a sequence of pressure charts at six hour intervals: 

Fronts & Troughs at 0600 GMT Fri              Pressure for 1200 GMT Fri                     Pressure for 1800 GMT Fri                       Pressure for 0000 GMT Sat                   Pressure for 0600 GMT Sat

analyse-2018-03-16-06.png  arpege-53-6-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-12-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-24-0.png?16-11

Pressure for 1200 GMT Sat                   Pressure for 1800 GMT Sat                        Pressure for 0000 GMT Sun                   Pressure for 0600 GMT Sun                Pressure for 1200 GMT Sun 

arpege-53-18-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-36-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-42-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-48-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-54-0.png?16-11

Pressure for 1800 GMT Sun                       Pressure for 0000 GMT Mon                   Pressure for 0600 GMT Mon              

arpege-53-60-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-66-0.png?16-11  arpege-53-72-0.png?16-11 

You can see a small LP developing in the south-west approaches during Sunday morning. There will be minor troughs or fronts associated with this minor system. By midday on Sunday the flow has veered slightly to the east-south-east. By Sunday evening it is shown to have pushed away south-westwards.with the strongly easterly flow backing slightly to the east-north-east.

Overall for those who haven't had enough of the white stuff, there will be plenty of opportunities during the next 2 to 3 days or so. One final point, much of the snow will again be falling as the dry, powdery stuff. The ground temps will start off around + 5c or so, which may be some melting initially but temps will fall steadily during tomorrow (uppers, 2m surface layer and ground temps). I'll be back with a shorter update this evening.  David

Hi david 

thats absolouteky brilliant 

thank you for all your fantastic posts in depth research and knowledge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please
2 hours ago, warmintim said:

"Latest weather forecast for Grizzly weekend

Well, Grizzly weekend is almost upon us and if you have been following the weather forecast, you’ll be aware that it’s looking chilly for race day. The Met Office currently has light snow forecast until early afternoon on race day, with a temperature of around zero and a wind chill of -5 to -7.

Please obviously be prepared for some tough weather and course conditions (especially given the overnight rain that we have had). Bring layers, plenty of food and drink and wear appropriate footwear. A useful guide as to kit requirements can be found in the rules for the fell running association (www.fellrunner.org.uk) – the Grizzly isn’t bound by these rules but they are a useful guide for what to wear and bring along with you for a multi-terrain endurance race such as this.

Take care and we look forward to seeing you over the weekend." - from the website!

That was issued yesterday, forecast has shown signs of heavier snow. The issue isn't running in the snow, it's people being able to get home that is of more concern. Hopefully what snowfall there is will not stick to roads and all will go smoothly