Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 03/03/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Looks very dark to the SW of here now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well that very dark threatening sky delivers a couple of minutes of moderate rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Well that very dark threatening sky delivers a couple of minutes of moderate rain. 

Instability rapidly disappeared after the sun went down. CAPE levels were quite modest this afternoon, more so with any sunshine. I can't see anything other than rain for the most part now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Utter chaos on the roads getting out of Plymouth tonight. That's what a couple hours of downpours will do. More disruption than yesterday' yellow warning for rain!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Latest 12z Arpege model shows a respectable "spring" covering of snow across many parts of our region by the end of the weekend;

snowdepth_084.thumb.jpg.72c467f6a6cd57e8b9330a3a20bb4936.jpg

How much of this would actually survive the stronger sun etc remains to be seen.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, AWD said:

Latest 12z Arpege model shows a respectable "spring" covering of snow across many parts of our region by the end of the weekend;

snowdepth_084.thumb.jpg.72c467f6a6cd57e8b9330a3a20bb4936.jpg

How much of this would actually survive the stronger sun etc remains to be seen.

Also the ground temperature beforehand, last time it had been freezing for nearly a week whereas even tomorrow will be comfortably 12c after a week of 10c to 13c maxes and not even any chilly nights.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Also the ground temperature beforehand, last time it had been freezing for nearly a week whereas even tomorrow will be comfortably 12c after a week of 10c to 13c maxes and not even any chilly nights.

The little warmth the ground has gained wont last long with a strong sub zero breese saturday night into sunday...

The easterly wind and low dp's will suck heat out of ground far quicker than some gentle radiation frost.. :hi:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !
9 minutes ago, Nights King said:

The little warmth the ground has gained wont last long with a strong sub zero breese saturday night into sunday...

The easterly wind and low dp's will suck heat out of ground far quicker than some gentle radiation frost.. :hi:

There is very little sun around Saturday or Sunday either, so I would think any snow that does fall may build up quite nicely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

App looking good!

FBFA0EFA-8F6C-491E-842E-1ADAC59D76EF.thumb.png.248de26983d62ffb9e1e760d806329fe.png8C1A9593-E278-4E6E-9DA3-D6018118AA42.thumb.png.28097392be73c6476ed101b5f6665299.pngE7C13E42-0B50-4CAE-8444-5D19B518F635.thumb.jpeg.b89e140fd70de3254a1320166c6c0c7b.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

My met app shows light snow for sunday but what is impressive is 2 ice days forecast mid march :air_kiss:

Shame I got no heating oil left though :help::oops: It is currently a mild 10c in most of house with electric heater on in  bedroom :rofl:

Edited by Nights King
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Managed 12.3°C today. Even got the first lawn mow of the year in.

How on earth did you manage to mow the lawn after all that rain? Ours is on a hill and drains well but is saturated. Do you have a special machine? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

How on earth did you manage to mow the lawn after all that rain? Ours is on a hill and drains well but is saturated. Do you have a special machine? 

Surfaces had dried out completely here. The ground is a sandy loam to around 5ft, then gravel under that, so water drains away instantly, no matter if 2 inches falls in an hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Surfaces had dried out completely here. The ground is a sandy loam to around 5ft, then gravel under that, so water drains away instantly, no matter if 2 inches falls in an hour.

Ah ok. Quite lucky then. ??Sorry meant fortunate. .. am tired. 

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Ah ok. Quite lucky then. ??Sorry meant fortunate. .. am tired. 

Lucky when rain is a factor, but it's a pain in the weeble during Summer. I have to mix in some organic matter to help hold the water in the soil better, so plants don't die off. No joke, you can poor so much water on the soil, but the next day, it'll just be grey dust to around 8 or 9" down.

Posted

Hi all ... I made a vow to myself at the end of the last cold spell to cut right back on my time on the weather charts ... well that's gone well and truly out of the window in the past 24 hours!! Couldn't miss out on the beast mark 2!!

So many odd ways there may be snowfall over the weekend (or none of course) - front moving south Saturday, the dregends of N Sea convection, trough moving up from the south Saturday night, convergence zones - hey, I'm not even ruling out another channel streamer on Sunday night/Monday morning. 

Good luck to everyone who still wants snow!!!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.
13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

The stick insects are back :rofl:

Love a nice stick insect; as long as it runs our way!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Can't see the half marathon that's supposed to be taking place this Sunday morning in Weston going ahead going by the forecasts in seeing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Lucky when rain is a factor, but it's a pain in the weeble during Summer. I have to mix in some organic matter to help hold the water in the soil better, so plants don't die off. No joke, you can poor so much water on the soil, but the next day, it'll just be grey dust to around 8 or 9" down.

What you need is some of this stuff, it's expensive if you want to treat all your garden but absolutely invaluable if you have plants that you continually have to water. http://www.treesandhedging.co.uk/broadleaf-p4-water-storing-granules/p568

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

My met app shows light snow for sunday but what is impressive is 2 ice days forecast mid march :air_kiss:

Shame I got no heating oil left though :help::oops: It is currently a mild 10c in most of house with electric heater on in  bedroom :rofl:

You're going to feel like the poor Broad Beans then, they've already been frost bitten and are now facing another cruel onslaught. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
7 hours ago, EllyTech said:

You're going to feel like the poor Broad Beans then, they've already been frost bitten and are now facing another cruel onslaught. :cold:

Next year if you're doing autumn sowing for an earlier crop, go for broad bean 'Aquadulce Claudia', they're as tough as old boots and withstand anything the weather can throw at them - you'd have to have another 1947/63 to finish them off.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Beautiful sunny morning here - balmy sunshine on the patio. 8c 'feels like' 18c in the suntrap. Difficult to believe we might see some snow this weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, jethro said:

Next year if you're doing autumn sowing for an earlier crop, go for broad bean 'Aquadulce Claudia', they're as tough as old boots and withstand anything the weather can throw at them - you'd have to have another 1947/63 to finish them off.

Thanks Jethro. I'll take that as an edorsement for the very one's I put in. They are renown for hardiness but still, the little 4 inch plants have some blackened foliage. Fleece surrounds them. I think it was simply the brutal wind chill that got them. I hope they bounce back. Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please

There must be snow potential on the way....the MAD thread is becoming a bit of a slugfest, with sadly little sensible discussion!! :nonono: